07-18-2012, 12:20 AM
User Info
As part of my experiments in traditional wetshaving - and also with an eye to putting together a cheap starter kit I could PIF to people curious about old fashioned wetshaving, I picked up a very cheap razor from my usual Turkish web store. The Racer razor is - according to the place I bought it - manufactured in Egypt, and cost me a whooping 3.75 USD.

The majority of the razor is made of injection molded plastic, except the top of the head which is cast metal. It appears quite solid - at least as solid as most cartridge razors and much more solid than most disposables. It is a two piece design - twist the handle and the metal cap comes off. The mixed construction is well balanced, with the center of gravity shortly below the head. This makes for an easily maneuvered razor, while keeping it so light you hardly notice that you're holding it.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2803]
The Racer with the top in place.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2804]
The Racer opened.

Loading the blade is pretty straight forward with little to no slack, so unlike the Yuma you don't really have to pay much attention while loading. The cap also covers up the sides of the razor blade, removing one possibility of cutting your fingertips open. The design allow for a pretty generous blade gap, while holding the blade almost flat. This means the Racer is a fairly aggressive shaver, more so than most of my other razors.

Not the best photo, but trying to show the blade angle and gap - it's not small.

Another attempt at showing blade gap in the Racer.

Still not the best photo, but attempting to show blade exposure.

Comparing it to another cheap razor - the Yuma - I would say that the Racer feels less harsh but is more aggressive. It's not a bad razor for a newbie on a budget - provided s/he is told to be careful and to make sure not to use any pressure. Combined with a good blade it gives a more than acceptable shave. It also is a decent second razor for a more experienced traditional wetshaver, perhaps as a semi-disposable travel razor. All in all I can recommend the Racer razor to, well, anyone who fancies a very cheap razor for whatever reason - just keep in mind that there is many better razors out there, if you're willing to invest a bit more.

/Edit: added more pictures

3 3,554
 07-18-2012, 02:40 AM
User Info
Looks like a plastic Pils. Biggrin

Very interesting, though. If my travel needs were not already met, I might have tried to locate one of these.

Thanks for the review, Hans.

37 1,731
 07-18-2012, 02:43 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Wow it does look like a plastic Pils

Nice

116 3,804
 07-18-2012, 03:06 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Thanks for the review and pics Hans Smile

I had seen that on a few webstores and wondered what it would be like... Lord Racer, I think.

Did they have the alternate plastic colorings too?

9 1,684
 07-18-2012, 03:14 AM
User Info
Thank you all. I hadn't gone looking for pictures of the Pils until today, but it does look rather similiar..

Bestshave.net have photos of various colours on their site, but no option to choose a colour. So I guess it's either a matter of which colour is on top of the pile... or you can have any colour you like as long as it's black.

YMMV in other webstores, I'm sure. For the price it's a good razor.

3 3,554
 07-18-2012, 05:28 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Nice razor for the money. I believe I had one some years ago.
Mine had a grey plastic handle. Thanks for the great review.

100 12,437
 07-18-2012, 09:04 AM
User Info
I have both this and the Pils, and believe it or not, for about 2% of the price, the Racer works better IMO. I found it to produce a very decent shave, and the Racer blades work quite well too. I use mine a lot for traveling. I'm planning on taking it on my vacation trip next week.

(07-18-2012, 02:40 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Looks like a plastic Pils. Biggrin

Very interesting, though. If my travel needs were not already met, I might have tried to locate one of these.

Thanks for the review, Hans.

0 419
 07-18-2012, 09:51 AM
User Info
Thanks Hans for the review and write up. I have never seen these before. They do look very similar to the head on a Pils/iKon/Tradere.

I love to try out cheap razors, I am always buying, trying and PIFing...now I have another one to add to my list.

5 833
 07-18-2012, 10:33 AM
User Info
(07-18-2012, 09:51 AM)Azarius Wrote: I love to try out cheap razors, I am always buying, trying and PIFing...now I have another one to add to my list.

It's great fun, isn't it? Seeing how cheap you can go and still get a good shave... I am sorely tempted to pick up the 1.75$ plastic razor bestshave.net sells... it's actually gotten some decent reviews Tongue

Also, updated the OP; more photos.

3 3,554
 07-18-2012, 10:33 AM
User Info
Great review, Hans.

75 20,883
 07-20-2012, 10:07 AM
User Info
It looks a lot like my first DE, the Treet Delrin. Its made of resin too, only the entire head is plastic as well. Quite forgiving, a good beginner razor that.

0 54
 07-22-2012, 10:44 AM
User Info
It,s looks like mine, but mine is yellow....Biggrin

0 221
 07-22-2012, 05:05 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Thanks for the review!

91 17,798
 07-30-2012, 03:02 PM
User Info
I just used mine for an entire week while on vacation - with one Racer blade. I could easily make a steady diet of this razor and blade and be very happy with my shaves if I had too.

0 419