02-21-2016, 10:22 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Interesting read about the development and marketing of the Bevel razor in the Sunday business section...razor now available at Target

6 2,044
 02-21-2016, 11:12 AM
User Info
 02-24-2016, 08:13 AM
User Info
Don't want to sound cynical, but raising $33 million from Silicon Valley VCs to fund a men's grooming brand based on an overpriced DE and brush...this company screams "bubble" to me.  This is not to day that DE shaving is likely better for men who are prone to razor bumps...

11 972
 02-24-2016, 11:00 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Interesting article.  Nice concept assuming it really helps some shavers.  Nice seeing minority owned businesses going big time.  Guessing $30mil of the money raised went for marketing.  

Certainly makes a person appreciate the efforts of artisan firms like Blackbird, Rockwell, Seygus, etc.

5 427
 02-24-2016, 01:06 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I wish them good luck and much success  Thumbup

7 2,355
 02-24-2016, 02:02 PM
User Info
This is great news for all of us. Their ad dollars will draw in new wet shavers which will grow the community, leading to more startups entering the market and, ultimately, more choice for the consumer.

0 676
 02-24-2016, 05:27 PM
User Info
(02-24-2016, 02:02 PM)Blackland Razors Wrote: This is great news for all of us. Their ad dollars will draw in new wet shavers which will grow the community, leading to more startups entering the market and, ultimately, more choice for the consumer.

Hallelujah! Someone who gets it! And makes an amazing product to boot. Hoping to get one soon.

102 1,533
 02-24-2016, 10:12 PM
User Info
Bevel works because Tristan knows the problems his specific target consumer faces - bumps and ingrown hairs - and why the cartridge solutions are unsuitable. That's why he got the VC investment money - he has a specific consumer (not "everybody!") and knows exactly what the solution is, and how to market to them. He has access to people who have the problem, he's identified that they're willing to pay to solve the problem, and that the size of the population of people with his problem is measured in millions, not hundreds. 

This is what VC money cares about, in priority order: Are you the right person / team to solve the problem, do you have a sustainable technical advantage, and does the market have the size, scale and hunger for the product? Tristan is the right person to solve the problem because he relates to the people that have the problem. Sustainable tech advantage is questionable, but who else is selling DEs in retail right now? VdH and MicroTouch One? And those have no target consumer focus? ("people who watch Pawn Stars" is not a specific consumer profile.) I think we can agree that the market has the size, scale and hunger for the results of using the product. Bumps and in-growns suck.

Tristan doesn't have to capture the total addressable market to be successful. By getting into retail, and making an option that works for his consumer that isn't the overpriced subscription model, he stands a good chance of success. I hope consumers buy it.

4 181
 02-25-2016, 09:55 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(02-24-2016, 10:12 PM)vmarks Wrote: Bevel works because Tristan knows the problems his specific target consumer faces - bumps and ingrown hairs - and why the cartridge solutions are unsuitable. That's why he got the VC investment money - he has a specific consumer (not "everybody!") and knows exactly what the solution is, and how to market to them. He has access to people who have the problem, he's identified that they're willing to pay to solve the problem, and that the size of the population of people with his problem is measured in millions, not hundreds. 

This is what VC money cares about, in priority order: Are you the right person / team to solve the problem, do you have a sustainable technical advantage, and does the market have the size, scale and hunger for the product? Tristan is the right person to solve the problem because he relates to the people that have the problem. Sustainable tech advantage is questionable, but who else is selling DEs in retail right now? VdH and MicroTouch One? And those have no target consumer focus? ("people who watch Pawn Stars" is not a specific consumer profile.) I think we can agree that the market has the size, scale and hunger for the results of using the product. Bumps and in-growns suck.

Tristan doesn't have to capture the total addressable market to be successful. By getting into retail, and making an option that works for his consumer that isn't the overpriced subscription model, he stands a good chance of success. I hope consumers buy it.

Some good thoughts here.  I purchased the kit before it was available at Target and would highly recommend the razor itself.  The brush is rubbish (IMO) and the cream works well, but requires a lot of product to get through a three pass shave (at least double what I would normally use).  The pre-shave oil and balm are both good but not life changing, in other words I will use them up but won't be replacing them.

148 2,820
 02-29-2016, 06:27 PM
User Info
Looks like a great razor. Would this razor be suitable to any type of facial hair and any type of skin?

8 93
 03-01-2016, 01:29 PM
User Info
Good for Tristan Walker. Nicely designed website too. I haven't seen the products in my local target, but considering the high percentage of people of color in Brooklyn, the line may well turn up.
I'd try that razor. It would be good to have more info on it and the other products, though -- beyond what you can get by clicking for more info on the website.

8 948
 03-01-2016, 02:18 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(02-29-2016, 06:27 PM)kamyon Wrote: Looks like a great razor. Would this razor be suitable to any type of facial hair and any type of skin?

I am a white male with average skin and find the Bevel razor to be pleasantly mild yet very efficient.  The blades are very nice as well.  The brush, cream, PSO, and ASB are all ok but not at the same level as the razor and blades.  A lot of guys were turned off by the subscription program but now that these are available independently I would easily recommend the Bevel over Edwin Jagger, Muhle and Merkur for a first razor and in that same group as far as quality goes.

148 2,820
 03-01-2016, 05:52 PM
User Info
(03-01-2016, 02:18 PM)blzrfn Wrote:
(02-29-2016, 06:27 PM)kamyon Wrote: Looks like a great razor. Would this razor be suitable to any type of facial hair and any type of skin?

I am a white male with average skin and find the Bevel razor to be pleasantly mild yet very efficient.  The blades are very nice as well.  The brush, cream, PSO, and ASB are all ok but not at the same level as the razor and blades.  A lot of guys were turned off by the subscription program but now that these are available independently I would easily recommend the Bevel over Edwin Jagger, Muhle and Merkur for a first razor and in that same group as far as quality goes.

Hello thanks for the info. I found mantic59's video youtube on the bevel shaving kit though he doesn't make any remarks on the razor itself. It does indeed look beautiful.

8 93
 03-13-2016, 03:01 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Only used mine once...bought on line from Target.....quite an interesting effective razor....gentle yet effective...unusual design and quite well built...paid $49.00 with free shipping...going to compare with the Hone on my next shave and will report back.

6 2,044
 08-12-2016, 06:12 AM
User Info
(03-13-2016, 03:01 PM)Harvey Wrote: Only used mine once...bought on line from Target.....quite an interesting effective razor....gentle yet effective...unusual design and quite well built...paid $49.00 with free shipping...going to compare with the Hone on my next shave and will report back.

Harvey, I've just become of the Bevel razor, and if you have an opportunity, I'd appreciate the benefit of your opinion after having used the razor a few times, if you are able to post about it. Thanks!

24 1,226
 08-12-2016, 09:45 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I,m only speaking of the razor not the shaving products sign up and for $45.00 it is a very well made smooth shaving razor....still consider it smooth..effective and well made....I use many so perhaps it being the best razor ever made....wouldn,t go that far but it works..cool construction and fairly priced....comes with KAI blades but any blade will work....remember i bought mine from Target with no other obligation on their soaps etc...the handle is narrow but not slippery but you can use other handles if that is a consideration.

6 2,044
 08-12-2016, 10:28 AM
User Info
Harvey, thanks for the update. Sounds like a good razor.

24 1,226