02-21-2016, 01:41 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
My wife recently discovered that we had amassed quite the pile of reward points from our credit union of many years, and I ended up cashing them in for over a grand worth of Best Buy cards. This got me itching for a new TV. Our 2011 Samung led has and still is a good TV, but is not giving me the cinema experience I wish for in our newer home that has a huge open family room. I'm leaning towards a 4k 65" in either Samsung, LG, or Sony. Best Buy just posted a sale showing a really Nice Samsung 65" for $2k- the UN65JS8500...

All my last few months of research has me hungry to pull the trigger on a 4k set on sale, but new this year is LG 3.0 software, and likely much cheaper OLED sets due in April which are ao far stunning. Samsung is notorious for upgrading Smarthub which can leave other sets obsolete to a point(like my 2011), and Sony Bravias are running Android which I have no experience with other than my phone.

Anyone have some insights? Projectors are an interesting option. Side lit? Full array? Does 4K technology make higher refresh rates(240hz) unnecessary? I cut the cable cord a while back and now stream with Apple TV, Amazon Prime, HBO Now, etc. Any insights from the video nuts here lurking under the guise of wet shavers?

143 1,984
 02-21-2016, 02:02 PM
User Info
We had a 4K but wound up returning it. I enjoyed it but the wife couldn't watch it. Gave her a headache. You can soften the picture in settings which helps. There is a lot of issues with companies not being 4k compatible with shows and movies but regardless it improved picture quality of what ever we watched. Did take a touch for me to get used to. Made all movies and shows feel like a soap opera. Almost like live viewing. Hard to explain. Makes Blu Ray look phenomenal! Unless your into hardcore,  fast paced gaming you shouldn't need anything over 120hz refresh rate and even then I never had issues. 

Samsung or Sony are your best bet quality and picture wise. No experience with the LG but hear good things. Vizio has had a number of issues with their 4k TV's and none are true smart TV's. They are just Tvs with apps and are Yahoo based. No updates, can't add apps, etc. Some people are trying to sue them for false advertising. 

We had cut the cord ourselves using Roku and Sling Television. Wound up going back to cable (Cox)  after they offered me a good deal with their Contour package. Matched what I was paying without cable and still got HBO.

148 3,592
 02-21-2016, 08:12 PM
User Info
We have a 55" LG 3D and it's a nice set. No problems and all of the LG accessories "talk" with each other. It's about as seamless as it gets. No complaints.

32 6,470
 02-22-2016, 05:32 AM
  • Shanman
  • NE Florida
User Info
Is the LG an active or passive 3D?

143 1,984
 02-22-2016, 09:39 AM
User Info
In my area 4k is not worth it. Most t.v. is only 1080 so the 4k works on some things but most it doesnt. 

Had a 55 inch Sony Bravia and had nothing but problems out of it. First time it just died . We returned it to Sony and they claimed lightning had hit the t.v. . Yet it was hooked to a surge protector and nothing else in the house was damaged. They put a new board in it . We got it back and the picture has never as good as it was originally so we sold it.

Ended up t.v. shopping again . Ended up with 2 Vizios. One is a 60 inch smart tv all the bells and whistles , smart tv etc. My parents actually bought this t.v. at Sam's for a hell of a goodndeal. Thay being said about a month after they bought the 1080 60 the 4k 60's were around the same price they paid for the 1080. I bought the 1080 off them and they got the 4k. Honestly on most t.v. we couldn't tell a difference.

Ended up catching amother sale on Vizios and bought 2 more for my kids and we couldn't be happier. If I posted the price I paid for my kids 42 inchers I may hurt some feelings Biggrin . Honestly felt like we robbed the store.

In all honesty though we have friends and family that have samsung, LG and Sony tvs . All that have seen the picture on the Vizios as well as the price have said there next tv will be vizio. Better picture and a whole lot less money.

0 127
 02-22-2016, 09:45 AM
User Info
I would say ignore the 'smart' aspect of a 'smart'  TV for content reasons.... Smart tvs are still battling it out the way Blu-ray and HD DVD did.... And vhs vs beta max before that... 

As for 4k. It's only really useful at closer distances. At far distances, the improvement in picture resolution drops off...that being said larger screen sizes only come in  4k it seems.

Have you consider a true projector if you have the room?

18 655
 02-22-2016, 09:49 AM
User Info
One can ignore the "smart tv" and get the 30 dollar chrome cast or something like that. You can still do everything a smart tv can and possibly save some money in the process. 

Personally chrome cast is how I watched 90% of my tv shows . That's another thread though...

0 127
 02-22-2016, 10:09 AM
  • Shanman
  • NE Florida
User Info
Spencer, the projector is an interesting option, but I would have to start the whole research and learing curve all over again. I imagine the room would be best suited to the projector idea as the couch to wall distance is easily 16ft....but there goes more $$$ for a motorized screen, likely a more complex install, etc. What receives local TV broadcasts when going the projector route?

143 1,984
 02-22-2016, 10:11 AM
  • Shanman
  • NE Florida
User Info
Vizio seems somewhat interesting as they are full array versus edge lit, but they seem to not rate so well...

143 1,984
 02-22-2016, 10:26 AM
User Info
Of the tvs I've had the vizio is the best picture at any price. The low price is just a plus. That's just my observation . I've had about 4 -5 Vizios and never had an issue. Only upgraded to new features or a bigger t.v.

0 127