03-07-2012, 02:00 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Today, I used the Veleiro shaving cream from Portugal for the first time and, except for one aspect, I was very impressed.

Using my Frank Shaving Finest badger brush, this cream was extremely easy to whip up into loads of luxurious lather. That lather lasted, too, through my three passes with enough left for another pass or two. (Note to self: a little less product next time will still give me plenty of lather.)

The lather felt amazing on my face and I assume that may have to do with the fact that like so many other Portuguese creams, Veleiro has lanolin in it. There was a comfortable glide when using the Rotbart #15 razor and a six day old Gillette 7 O' Clock Super Platinum [Black] blade. If the blade was deteriorating, I'd never know it with this cream.

Protection was excellent and there was no irritation at all, even after all three passes. There was a good feeling of moisturization with my skin feeling soft and smooth after the shave. Again, I'm guessing that the lanolin might have played a part in that.

Now comes the one downfall for me, the scent. It was awful. It had that phony chemical smell that is so popular in modern colognes and EdT's today. What made it worse is the scent lingered, even after the shave. Thank goodness the scent was easily washed away with soap and water. Please keep in mind that of all the variables that I am rating here, scent is by far the most personal so each person will have to make up his or her own mind on that score.

At Bullgoose, a 125g (4.4 oz.) tube is $9.00 which I think is quite reasonable for a cream of this quality.

The only thing that would prevent me from purchasing another tube of Veleiro is the scent and that is most unfortunate.

Lather: ✭✭✭✭✭
Durability of Lather: ✭✭✭✭✭
Protection: ✭✭✭✭✭
Glide: ✭✭✭✭
Scent: ✭
Price: ✭✭✭✭✭
Would I repurchase: ✭
Overall score: ✭✭✭¾

✭✭✭✭✭ Outstanding
✭✭✭✭ Excellent
✭✭✭ Good
✭✭ Poor
✭ Don't Waste Your Time or Money

[Image: P1020914.jpg]

2 11,211
 03-07-2012, 02:23 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Veleiro its a really nice shaving cream.Myself I find the scent of O Melhor being a little bit more sophisticated than this one,but theyre almost the same.The skin care its really good,beating all the made in UK shaving creams that I have tried so far,and being on the same level tahn some other top creams like Santa Maria la Novella,Tabula Rasa or even Acca Kappa/Dovo.
Also has an excellent price too.

86 7,123
 03-07-2012, 02:32 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(03-07-2012, 02:23 PM)Teiste Wrote: Veleiro its a really nice shaving cream.Myself I find the scent of O Melhor being a little bit more sophisticated than this one,but theyre almost the same.The skin care its really good,beating all the made in UK shaving creams that I have tried so far,and being on the same level tahn some other top creams like Santa Maria la Novella,Tabula Rasa or even Acca Kappa/Dovo.
Also has an excellent price too.

Honestly, Teiste, if it wasn't for the scent then this would be one of the top creams in my stash. As I mentioned in my review, scent is by far the most variable so for many this cream will be a 100% winner.

2 11,211
 03-07-2012, 03:33 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Like you Freddy, I am not a fan of the so called "Marine" scents. My findings mirror your findings almost exactly on this cream....excellent performance but the scent is not my cup of tea.

45 16,351
 03-07-2012, 07:58 PM
User Info
Marine scent I guess is like a fresh or soapy scent. How would you describe it.

5 273
 03-07-2012, 08:11 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
It is kind of a sharp scent that gives me an instant headache. It isn't really soapy but I am not sure how I would describe it.

45 16,351
 03-07-2012, 08:12 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(03-07-2012, 07:58 PM)Shave a Buck Wrote: Marine scent I guess is like a fresh or soapy scent. How would you describe it.

Chemical, artificial, harsh.

2 11,211
 03-10-2012, 05:33 PM
  • brg
  • Portugal
User Info
I don't think the scent is horrible, but it's not my favorite either. If you want the same performance with a better scent, get O Melhor.

0 46
 03-10-2012, 07:12 PM
User Info
The scent reminds me a bit of TOBS St James.

0 252
 03-28-2012, 07:30 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Does the aftershave smell similar to the cream?

45 3,955