02-22-2016, 12:56 PM
User Info
For Cobra, Mongoose, Rx SE's. I have maybe a handful of shaves on the first two razors and don't recall the blades I used, but the shaves were harsh. I'm looking forward to trying the Rx one day but need a bit of a primer on what the SE blade pool has to offer. I have a sampler pack of these:

1. Feather Professional
2. Feather Professional Super
3. Feather ProGuard
4. Feather Pro Light
5. Kai Captain Titan Mild
6. Kai Captain Titan ProTouch MG
7. Kai Captain Original
8. Kamisori

I know the Feather Pro is favored by many and the Feather Pro Super scares Brock Lesnar. Any more info on these and feedback on the rest would be appreciated.

29 1,776
 02-22-2016, 01:17 PM
User Info
My favorites for the Mongoose or the Kai Captain Original and Sharps (very similar imo), smoother than the Feather Pros, especially the first few shaves, and just as sharp.  

The Feather ProGuards are great too if you prefer less aggression.

Not a fan of the Kai Titan Milds, seem dull to me.

Feather Professional Super is great if you like alot of aggression (not my cup of tea though).

53 1,200
 02-22-2016, 06:13 PM
User Info
Feather Pros are awesome after 3-4 shaves. One thing you can do to tune it down from the get go is run it through a wine cork to kinda dull it down a bit

13 775
 02-22-2016, 06:24 PM
User Info
If the first shave to three are rough from a SE shave then I highly suggest palm stropping the blade to smooth them out. 

Kai Milds couldn't cut my stubble. 
Feather Pros are the perfect blend of sharp & smooth for me
Feather Supers are just too wild for me & simply not necessary given how well the regular Pros work for me.

31 8,057
 02-23-2016, 06:58 PM
User Info
I too am trying to find a nice match for my single edge razors...I only have had a handful of shaves myself since acquiring my mongoose and king cobra. I have only used Kai blades up until this point. I have managed some quality shaves. However, with that said there is quite a bit of tug from these blades. I am interested in stepping up to some feather Pros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 96
 02-23-2016, 08:18 PM
User Info
I like the Feather Pros the best but since I got the AlumiGoose which I feel is a little more aggressive than the stainless steel model, I have been experimenting with the Feather Pro Guard blades. Only one shave with the Pro Guard so far so too soon to tell.

5 1,538
 05-03-2016, 06:14 PM
  • Urolex
  • Phoenix, AZ
User Info
The pressure you can add with a proguard will yield a closer shave than the pro or super pro IMO

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

50 420
 05-03-2016, 08:02 PM
User Info
(05-03-2016, 06:14 PM)Urolex Wrote: The pressure you can add with a proguard will yield a closer shave than the pro or super pro IMO

The though of adding pressure while shaving makes the hair stand up on my neck  Smile

3 4,511
 05-03-2016, 09:34 PM
  • lfs70
  • Virginia
User Info
The Feather Professional blades are perfect in my Cobras but were too rough for me in the Mongoose. The ProGuard blades worked in every version of the Mongoose that I tried and the Supers resulted in excessive blood loss when used in either razor.
It may take a bit of experimenting to find the perfect blade for you.

80 469
 05-04-2016, 02:14 AM
User Info
(05-03-2016, 08:02 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Davidh@ftml.net 
(05-03-2016, 06:14 PM)Urolex Wrote: The pressure you can add with a proguard will yield a closer shave than the pro or super pro IMO

The though of adding pressure while shaving makes the hair stand up on my neck  Smile

Tend to agree with you, but the Proguards are mild enough that a little pressure can be beneficial (what I do with this blade in my problem spots). 

The Proguards and the Feather Pros have the same sharpness /hone I  believe, only difference is the added guard which imho makes it a better blade by making the blade even stiffer.

53 1,200
 05-04-2016, 02:29 AM
  • Urolex
  • Phoenix, AZ
User Info
Very well put David

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

50 420
 05-04-2016, 05:37 AM
User Info
(05-04-2016, 02:14 AM)david1201 Wrote:

Tend to agree with you, but the Proguards are mild enough that a little pressure can be beneficial (what I do with this blade in my problem spots). 

The Proguards and the Feather Pros have the same sharpness /hone I  believe, only difference is the added guard which imho makes it a better blade by making the blade even stiffer.

The guard also prevents it from cutting as close as the non-guard blade. That is the purpose of the guard to make it a milder blade so you don't irritate or cut your skin.

5 1,538
 05-04-2016, 07:03 AM
User Info
(05-04-2016, 05:37 AM)shave/brush Wrote:
(05-04-2016, 02:14 AM)david1201 Wrote:

The guard also prevents it from cutting as close as the non-guard blade. That is the purpose of the guard to make it a milder blade so you don't irritate or cut your skin.

Agreed, just pointing out what I think are some other benefits of the Proguards.

53 1,200
 05-24-2016, 01:05 PM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
I've tried many and now the only 2 blades that work into my SE rotation is the Feather Pro and Pro Super.  I'm not sure what changed but I recently got the King Cobra with a Feather Pro dialed in and I'M NOW GETTING THE SMOOTHEST/CLOSEST SHAVE OF ANY DE RAZOR/BLADE COMBO I OWN.....INCLUDING MY WOLFMAN. I own both the King and Classic and pre-ordered the ATT SE....now seriously considering I might cancel my pre-order....why mess with a good thing Smile

This might sound silly, but this change with the King Cobra actually occurred when I replaced the KC handle with a heavier/thicker handle...not sure if this resulted in a change in the angle or grip pressure or both....all I know is it's working like a charm.

128 562