02-23-2016, 05:40 PM
User Info
I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times before, but wanted to share my experience.

I stumbled on a British shaving blog that may be discontinued (Bruce Everiss) where he discussed the idea of a Multi-Razor Shave:

WTG with an Aggressive razor
XTG with a medium razor
ATG with a mild razor

I stopped doing a full ATG pass because it inflames my Rosacea, but I recently tried this combo:

WTG with my Wolfman
XTG/ATG with my Muhle R89

Guess what?  A pretty close to BBS shave in total comfort.  Now I can get the same results with just the Wolfman, but I find the R89 to be more forgiving, especially going ATG on the neck.  I'm going to try other combos and see how they work.  Perhaps an Ikon 102 WTG, and then Razorock Baby Smooth XTG/ATG.

Or a Gillette NEW SC WTG and then Pre-War Triangle Tech XTG/ATG.  

The combinations are intriguing.

Anybody else do multi-razor shaves?  What say ye?

11 973
 02-23-2016, 06:20 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
All the time...favorite DE razor of the day...sometimes 2 and then a Fusion for the neck...works everytime

6 2,022
 02-23-2016, 07:25 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Interesting question. I've tried doing that a few times. But honestly, it involved too much effort and thought for my liking. Nowadays I find myself reaching for only 2 razors in a Very short rotation, an iKon 101 and an ER 1912. As much as I love my Red Tips and Techs, the last few months they're only used once a month or so. I've found that muscle memory plays a big role with using the 101 and ER. The shaves with them are almost always BBS and quite comfortable, and there's no need for me to use multiple razors for one shave. Ymmv Smile

7 2,121
 02-23-2016, 10:01 PM
User Info
I used to do two-pass, two razor shaves a while back... I stopped doing it when my technique got better - or possible my technique got better since I stopped doing it and could concentrate on one razor at a time. Cause and effect can be tricky at the best of times.

Your Mileage May Vary, as in all things. The only thing you can do wrong is to not try out various ideas Biggrin

3 4,480
 02-23-2016, 10:45 PM
User Info
I will do 2 passes with a straight and finish with a de/se
This keeps both skills sharp.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

19 578
 02-24-2016, 08:20 AM
User Info
(02-23-2016, 10:45 PM)rawfox1 Wrote: I will do 2 passes with a straight and finish with a de/se
This keeps both skills sharp.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

I've been thinking about trying a straight for the first time, and that would be my approach.  Just learn to go WTG with the straight and finish the shave with a DE until I get the skills/muscle memory.  You're right about keeping the skills sharp...shaving seems like a lot of activity.  You get good at it by doing it all the time.

11 973
 02-24-2016, 09:16 AM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I'd rather use a razor that needs no other... waste of time to be using multiple razors per shave.

3 227
 02-24-2016, 09:29 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
My face isn't a billet of log some chainsaw arteest wacks out a grizzl bar statue for some biker bar.  I've been using the SEYGUS under my nose  recently after a great shave with my new MERKUR SLANT (thankyou Johnny) and the semi permanent wound there is actually healing.

2 3,171
 02-24-2016, 09:34 AM
User Info
About as far as I've gone here is to change settings on my Slim Adjustable or to use a cart razor on occasion -- either for missed spots that I still want to get, or because I still am not the most adept when I use a shavette..

8 915
 02-24-2016, 04:31 PM
User Info
If you look at my post in the DE razor forum I made about only using the aggressive razors for the first pass then a milder for the subsequent passes, you may know why I agree with the logic behind this idea.

I mean it's bleeding sane to use the razors built & designed to deal with coarse hair for coarse hair. You only have that for the first pass with an aggressive razor or you are using a dull blade or have mediocre shaving technique.

24 5,963
 02-24-2016, 07:06 PM
User Info
Only because am trying to see if a prefer RFB or Deluxe over the other to 1/2 shave each. Does that count?

8 1,125
 02-26-2016, 08:56 AM
User Info
This approach would make an adjustable razor much more desirable.

5 81
 02-26-2016, 09:40 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
(02-23-2016, 06:20 PM)Harvey Wrote: All the time...favorite DE razor of the day...sometimes 2 and then a Fusion for the neck...works everytime

Harvey gets it.  He's been at this many years.  Fusion is great on the neck...and yes it's still wet shaving.

42 1,041
 02-26-2016, 09:37 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(02-26-2016, 09:40 AM)VTMAX Wrote:
(02-23-2016, 06:20 PM)Harvey Wrote: All the time...favorite DE razor of the day...sometimes 2 and then a Fusion for the neck...works everytime

Harvey gets it.  He's been at this many years.  Fusion is great on the neck...and yes it's still wet shaving.

YMMV. IMO, the Fusion is best left on the shelf at the grocery store Biggrin

59 2,802
 02-27-2016, 12:03 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
This morning I did my first pass with the ER 1912 and the same GEM blade that had about 6 3-pass shaves on it. Right away it felt a bit tuggy, so after the first pass was done I switched to the iKon 101 with an IP that had 4 3-pass shaves on it. This was one of the best shaves I've had in months! Go figure...

7 2,121
 02-28-2016, 09:29 AM
User Info
if it nworks  for ya, great but for me it sounds like too much of a pain in the behind.

0 189
 02-28-2016, 11:02 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Some shavers using adjustable razors change the setting for different passes, so changing razors with fixed heads would give the same result.

I have very sensitive skin, so I use a mild razor and I shave only three nights a week.  My skin is least sensitive Sunday night, most sensitive Tuesday night, and somewhere between these two on Thursday night, so I often choose a different razor for each of these shaves.

- Murray

4 1,150
 03-12-2016, 04:22 AM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
Thanks for starting this thread....I've been considering this for some time but never pulled the trigger....now that I see many have gone down this road.....I will follow and see how it compares to my one razor shave...thanks one and all.

128 560
 03-12-2016, 05:19 AM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
Okay...so I completed my first shave using the multi-razor technique and I love it.....two reasons....very close shave and most important....I get to use three of my favorite razors instead of just one Smile

First pass was with Razorock Jaws open comb.....second pass was using the Feather and third pass was with my most aggressive razor....Mekur Futur...I actually liked using the Futur for the final pass since it cleaned up any remnants from the first two passes which was very little....thanks again for this post.....opened my eyes and face to a better shave.

128 560
 03-13-2016, 04:23 PM
User Info
(03-12-2016, 05:19 AM)DJL813 Wrote: Okay...so I completed my first shave using the multi-razor technique and I love it.....two reasons....very close shave and most important....I get to use three of my favorite razors instead of just one Smile

First pass was with Razorock Jaws open comb.....second pass was using the Feather and third pass was with my most aggressive razor....Mekur Futur...I actually liked using the Futur for the final pass since it cleaned up any remnants from the first two passes which was very little....thanks again for this post.....opened my eyes and face to a better shave.

No problem!  I've been doing it with my Wolfman DC 1st pass WTG then second pass with Muhle R89 XTG/ATG.  It's been great.  Tried it with Ikon 102 for the first pass and it wasn't as efficient as the Wolfman.  Think I will try it on the second pass.  

I am thinking another variation would to use two different blades as well.

Say a Feather for the WTG pass then a GSB or Platinum for the second.

Experimenting is fun!

11 973