02-24-2016, 05:41 AM
User Info
I wanted to consult you guys and if this isn't the right place for it, hopefully a moderator can move it.  I'm interested to see if any of you have any weird experiences with lanolin soaps, that aren't super irritation, but just mild.  Mostly, before a ton of Mystic Waters and Cold River Soap Works soaps came into my cabinets recently, veggie soaps and just tallow soaps with no lanolin dominated my shaving and I was good to go.  

However, I've noticed since I started using Mystic Waters, CRSW and some Stirling soaps, I'm beginning to get some mild redness and irritation surrounding my nose (probably the most sensitive area on my face), along with some acne underneath my nose, and some between my nose and cheeks from time to time.  Now, after shaving with a lanolin soap, I do my best to get those areas squeaky clean but it doesn't really seem to matter, I still tend to break out a bit around and underneath my nose, and I have some itching there during the day as well.

Anyone else have these kinds of issues with lanolin?  Like not serious direct light up your face burning irritation but just some mild irritation? Maybe its a coincidence?  Just seems odd. Especially when I use lanolin soaps several days in a row.

To those that have lanolin irritation allergies, what happens to you?  Does it crisp up your face like mine does when I experience a fragrance my face is allergic to?  Hot burning?

1 468
 02-24-2016, 06:11 AM
User Info
This does not sound anything like a reaction to lanolin. I would first look at your diet and other changes made recently especially any new medications. Having your described symptoms in such a localized place leads me to believe it is not lanolin. True lanolin allergies are a very rare thing and my strong suggestion is to schedule an appointment with your dermatologist and request a Percutaneous test.

0 148
 02-24-2016, 06:47 AM
User Info
(02-24-2016, 06:11 AM)bennett Wrote: This does not sound anything like a reaction to lanolin. I would first look at your diet and other changes made recently especially any new medications. Having your described symptoms in such a localized place leads me to believe it is not lanolin. True lanolin allergies are a very rare thing and my strong suggestion is to schedule an appointment with your dermatologist and request a Percutaneous test.

I hope you're right about this.  Its interesting because I have done a few tests where I go off of lanolin and then back on, and I get the same result.  I should probably go see a dermatologist.

1 468
 02-24-2016, 06:56 AM
User Info
Most of the times if I have irritation it will come from essential oils or fragrance oils used in the soap. Some artisans like to use high concentrations. I had to do a little investigating and trial and error when I first started. Try to narrow it down to see if it's just the lanolin or try a test spot on your face or body etc.

49 356
 02-24-2016, 07:32 AM
User Info
I have a strange reaction to lanolin. If I just use it to shave I'm fine. However there's been a few times I didn't get my lather right. If I keep the soap on my face to long or its touching my lips to long in should say it's like it chaps my lips. 

Only had it happen twice , and now I'm just more careful. If the lather is not to my liking I just make sure to keep it away from my lips .

0 127
 02-25-2016, 06:54 AM
User Info
(02-24-2016, 05:41 AM)SCShaver Wrote: I'm beginning to get some mild redness and irritation surrounding my nose (probably the most sensitive area on my face), along with some acne underneath my nose, and some between my nose and cheeks from time to time.  Now, after shaving with a lanolin soap, I do my best to get those areas squeaky clean but it doesn't really seem to matter, I still tend to break out a bit around and underneath my nose, and I have some itching there during the day as well.

Anyone else have these kinds of issues with lanolin?  Like not serious direct light up your face burning irritation but just some mild irritation? Maybe its a coincidence?  Just seems odd. Especially when I use lanolin soaps several days in a row.

To those that have lanolin irritation allergies, what happens to you?  Does it crisp up your face like mine does when I experience a fragrance my face is allergic to?  Hot burning?

Lurker here, I'll give my experience. When I was first starting out I often found that after my shave my nose area was red so I loaded up on samples to see what the issue was. I got tallow with lanolin, just tallow, and vegan soaps. I found that whenever I used lanolin soaps the redness would only occur, pointing out that it was the lanolin giving me slight irritation. To be sure that it was the lanolin and not fragrance, I picked up a B&M white label unscented soap and I still got redness. Eventually I just settled on liking vegan soaps (mostly with essential oils) as my preference. 

I never got any of your other symptoms, just redness around my face that didn't itch or hurt at all. I could probably use lanolin soaps, but it's just annoying to have a red face after your shave. There are different levels of sensitivity, everyone is different. For me, I'd say I probably have a slight sensitivity to lanolin, I wouldn't even call it an allergy.

I highly suggest you pick up a sample of unscented soap with lanolin to try and pinpoint if it is the cause. Other than that, grab some vegan and just tallow samples as well.

0 1
 02-25-2016, 08:07 AM
User Info
(02-25-2016, 06:54 AM)Lurker1212 Wrote:
(02-24-2016, 05:41 AM)SCShaver Wrote: I'm beginning to get some mild redness and irritation surrounding my nose (probably the most sensitive area on my face), along with some acne underneath my nose, and some between my nose and cheeks from time to time.  Now, after shaving with a lanolin soap, I do my best to get those areas squeaky clean but it doesn't really seem to matter, I still tend to break out a bit around and underneath my nose, and I have some itching there during the day as well.

Lurker here, I'll give my experience. When I was first starting out I often found that after my shave my nose area was red so I loaded up on samples to see what the issue was. I got tallow with lanolin, just tallow, and vegan soaps. I found that whenever I used lanolin soaps the redness would only occur, pointing out that it was the lanolin giving me slight irritation. To be sure that it was the lanolin and not fragrance, I picked up a B&M white label unscented soap and I still got redness. Eventually I just settled on liking vegan soaps (mostly with essential oils) as my preference. 

I never got any of your other symptoms, just redness around my face that didn't itch or hurt at all. I could probably use lanolin soaps, but it's just annoying to have a red face after your shave. There are different levels of sensitivity, everyone is different. For me, I'd say I probably have a slight sensitivity to lanolin, I wouldn't even call it an allergy.

I highly suggest you pick up a sample of unscented soap with lanolin to try and pinpoint if it is the cause. Other than that, grab some vegan and just tallow samples as well.

See this sounds familiar.  Now granted, my tests just include me going on a run of only lanolin soaps for a while, and then completely away from them, with just veggie soaps, and tallow soaps that do not contain lanolin.  In almost all circumstances, I see the situation get better when I stop using lanolin.  So this sounds like an obvious movement, if "it hurts when I do this," well then don't do it, I'm wondering if I should just stop using lanolin for a considerable amount of time and see what happens.

In other news, would there be any interest in a box of CRSW Soaps (5) that have only been lathered 2 or 3 times? Same for Mystic Waters (6)?  Maybe I'll throw a big bulk box of them up for a great price on BST who knows.  I'll do some more testing.

1 468
 02-25-2016, 10:01 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Have you tried Mitchell's Wool Fat?  When someone thinks they have an lanolin allergy but are not sure, this is the soap I recommend trying.  There are no other oils in  this soap.  It is just a good tallow based soap that has lanolin.

I thought I had a lanolin allergy until I tried MWF.  It is now my favorite all time soap.  My skin reaction turned out to be different oils or combination of oils.  There are a lot of soaps and creams on the market that say they are made for sensitive  skin that I cannot use.

178 23,807
 02-25-2016, 10:11 AM
User Info
(02-25-2016, 10:01 AM)Johnny Wrote: Have you tried Mitchell's Wool Fat?  When someone thinks they have an lanolin allergy but are not sure, this is the soap I recommend trying.  There are no other oils in  this soap.  It is just a good tallow based soap that has lanolin.

I thought I had a lanolin allergy until I tried MWF.  It is now my favorite all time soap.  My skin reaction turned out to be different oils or combination of oils.  There are a lot of soaps and creams on the market that say they are made for sensitive  skin that I cannot use.

That sounds like a very interesting idea.  Mitchell's just has sort of a mild soapy smell right?  Good idea

1 468
 02-25-2016, 10:13 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(02-25-2016, 10:11 AM)SCShaver Wrote:
(02-25-2016, 10:01 AM)Johnny Wrote: Have you tried Mitchell's Wool Fat?  When someone thinks they have an lanolin allergy but are not sure, this is the soap I recommend trying.  There are no other oils in  this soap.  It is just a good tallow based soap that has lanolin.

That sounds like a very interesting idea.  Mitchell's just has sort of a mild soapy smell right?  Good idea

Yes sir, a very mild, clean soapy smell.

178 23,807
 02-25-2016, 10:15 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Tell you what I will do.  You buy a puck and do not throw away the box.  Give it a try for a few days (at least 7), and if it breaks you out, I will buy the puck from you (in the original box).

178 23,807
 02-25-2016, 10:19 AM
User Info
(02-25-2016, 10:15 AM)Johnny Wrote: Tell you what I will do.  You buy a puck and do not throw away the box.  Give it a try for a few days (at least 7), and if it breaks you out, I will buy the puck from you (in the original box).

Thats a pretty cool deal, thanks for the offer. Maybe I'll throw one in the basket next time I make an online purchase.  Very high praise for that soap right there.

1 468
 02-25-2016, 01:59 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
(02-25-2016, 10:15 AM)Johnny Wrote: Tell you what I will do.  You buy a puck and do not throw away the box.  Give it a try for a few days (at least 7), and if it breaks you out, I will buy the puck from you (in the original box).

Super nice offer there!  Kudos, Johnny.  Bow

48 976
 02-25-2016, 09:52 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
I have tried several lanolin soaps and ALLLLLLLL of them caused me the same issue.
Nonstop itching for days!!! Feels like a feather is lightly flicking my face, tickling it and making it itch, constantly. Gets exponentially worse if I use a lanolin product multiple days in a row... in which case, the itching will last a couple weeks.
No scent or shave performance is worth this frustration.
This itch does not happen with products without lanolin.
If all products contained lanolin, I'd grow a beard.

Old AdP cream tube
B&M (5+ white label soaps)
Musgo Real
Wilkinson Sword stick (blue)
Others.

59 2,804
 02-26-2016, 05:49 AM
User Info
(02-25-2016, 09:52 PM)Nero Wrote: I have tried several lanolin soaps and ALLLLLLLL of them caused me the same issue.
Nonstop itching for days!!! Feels like a feather is lightly flicking my face, tickling it and making it itch, constantly. Gets exponentially worse if I use a lanolin product multiple days in a row... in which case, the itching will last a couple weeks.

Old AdP cream tube
Musgo Real
Others.

I appreciate your description, that definitely lets me know right off the bat that its not a serious thing.  Just something I've noticed.  I'm going to curtail my use of lanolin soaps again, and see what happens.  If I use a string of them again in a row and I start getting acne and redness/itching again, I gotta believe its a lanolin thing, or maybe, it just so happens that those particular soaps that have the lanolin, have some other ingredient or fragrance that might be irritating me.  Either way, its going to be sparse use of lanolin until they are gone and then I'm only using mostly veggie products and tallow products without it in there.  The only soap I might buy is MWF due to some high recommendations and that is a last effort at it.  There are just so many soaps out there without lanolin that perform very very nicely.

1 468
 02-26-2016, 06:05 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(02-26-2016, 05:49 AM)SCShaver Wrote:
(02-25-2016, 09:52 PM)Nero Wrote: I have tried several lanolin soaps and ALLLLLLLL of them caused me the same issue.

Old AdP cream tube
Musgo Real
Others.

I appreciate your description, that definitely lets me know right off the bat that its not a serious thing.  Just something I've noticed.  I'm going to curtail my use of lanolin soaps again, and see what happens.  If I use a string of them again in a row and I start getting acne and redness/itching again, I gotta believe its a lanolin thing, or maybe, it just so happens that those particular soaps that have the lanolin, have some other ingredient or fragrance that might be irritating me.  Either way, its going to be sparse use of lanolin until they are gone and then I'm only using mostly veggie products and tallow products without it in there.  The only soap I might buy is MWF due to some high recommendations and that is a last effort at it.  There are just so many soaps out there without lanolin that perform very very nicely.

I agree, MWF will be the ONLY soap I try in the future with lanolin, but I have zero hope for it, honestly.

59 2,804