07-18-2012, 01:49 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1240754.JPG?m=1342628978]

Creed is a French company which was born in London,and later moved to Paris in 1854,and since then,have been offering some of the best scents ever created.Original Vetiver is one of them,and the shaving soap with this fragrance is simply one of the best smelling shaving soaps out there.

It seems that Creed shaving soaps contained tallow in the past,but its impossible to knot the current formulation,since there is not ingredients list on the carboard box,and just a quick mention to lanolin and honey on the wooden lid :

[Image: P1240755.JPG?m=1342629010]

This is one of the most expensive shaving soaps out there.The wooden bowl with a 110 g shaving soap puck cost 72 dollars and there is no refills for it : if you want it again,you have to buy it with the wooden bowl.The wooden bowl is not one of the best,to be honest,far away from the Floris or the Penhaligons wooden bowls,which are better made and finish it than this.

Its a triple milled soap,which last you a very long time,and,as another great French soap,Martin de Candre,you dont need a lot of soap to create tons of lather,which makes it "economical" on a long run.I have a Green Irish Tweed too that I have used more than 15 times,and the lettering is still visible on the shaving soap.

[Image: P1240756.JPG?m=1342629004]

And why is this soap so special to cost so much money?Well,like everything,is a question of your personal taste and how much money are you willing to spend on a shaving soap.

I love the Original Vetiver scent,which according to Creed is a blend of :

Top notes of ginger, mandarin, and Italian bergamot
Middle notes of vetiver, sandalwood, and iris
Base notes of musk and ambergris

which makes it a very clean,fresh,elegant,and crisp scent.

The soap smells like the EDT and its a strong scent.I can tell you that If I leave the Green Irish Tweed shaving soap or this one without the wooden lid,my bathroom would be overflow with their scents,literally.

And how does it shaves?Heavenly,of course. Biggrin It shaves like a top shaving soap.This soap produces very slick lather,as well as dense (thick).Does it performs better than Floris shaving soaps?No,I can tell you right now.And what about better than Harris soaps?Either.And what about La Toja shaving stick?No,no,no but its scent,is simply heavenly as I have pointed.

Dont expect to find the "best" soap out there (skin care wise) but if you are a lover of the Original Vetiver scent (which was launched in 2004) you will ADORE this soap.If not,maybe you should get Martin de Candre first,if you want to spend that amount of money.

Another good point about this scent is that it doesn't reminds me of any other scent.Green Irish Tweed smells (to me) like Davidoff Cool Water and Creed Original Santal is very close to Joop Man (red bottle).This Original Vetiver is really different than the Guerlain Vetiver (which is more woody) or even the Tom Ford Grey Vetiver,which is more "deep".

For me,a SUPERB scent and a great shaving soap.

86 7,123
 07-18-2012, 01:56 PM
User Info
Teiste, have you used either the Green Irish Tweed or the Original Santal shaving soap?

184 12,003
 07-18-2012, 02:14 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(07-18-2012, 01:56 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Teiste, have you used either the Green Irish Tweed or the Original Santal shaving soap?

I have the Green Irish Tweed,and I almost got the Original Santal,but its scent remind me of Joop for men,and I dont like it too much,to be honest.

86 7,123
 07-18-2012, 02:27 PM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
Nice write up. It's one of the few things still left on my list!

5 270
 07-18-2012, 02:36 PM
User Info
I have some original vetiver cologne I can use after

AOS Lavender, Unscented and Sandalwood
Cella
P160

I don't need ov soap too, Biggrin

1 63
 07-18-2012, 03:56 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Thanks for the insightful review Teiste, I have lusted after the Irish Tweed for some time now, but following your review I believe the Vetiver would be more to my liking...

Given the investment required, its questionable as to whether I'd take the plunge, but in any case does anyone have any recommendations on where to purchase Creed products (online)?

91 17,846
 07-18-2012, 06:21 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(07-18-2012, 03:56 PM)ben74 Wrote: Thanks for the insightful review Teiste, I have lusted after the Irish Tweed for some time now, but following your review I believe the Vetiver would be more to my liking...

Given the investment required, its questionable as to whether I'd take the plunge, but in any case does anyone have any recommendations on where to purchase Creed products (online)?

The only place I know is http://www.creedperfumes.us/ or Neiman Marcus/Nordstrom (not all) if you are in USA.

86 7,123
 07-18-2012, 09:13 PM
User Info
Great review T. Where's the lather shot?

7 1,179
 07-18-2012, 09:28 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(07-18-2012, 09:13 PM)Dipesh Wrote: Great review T. Where's the lather shot?

I was very lazy today,but I can tell you that this soap can make some good lather.

86 7,123
 07-18-2012, 09:30 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Here is a pic of my friend JR from foroafeitado.com after he made lather using this soap :

[Image: mg3123.jpg]

86 7,123
 07-19-2012, 04:03 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Thank you! It looks like great soap.

I have several Creed scents and love the Original Vetiver.
It is quite similar to Thierry Mugler's Cologne IMO but it has more depth.
I honestly wasn't even aware that Creed had a shave soap line!
(And yes, Original Santal DEFINITELY reminds me of Joop as well)!!!

6 905
 07-20-2012, 09:40 AM
User Info
Now this sound great. I love vetiver, add honey and lanolin and I'm in heaven. Will grab it if I find a good enough deal on it.

0 54