07-18-2012, 02:36 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1240759.JPG?m=1342629048]

Are you a fan of Davidoff's Cool Water for men scent and want a shaving soap which smells like it?Well,Green Irish Tweed could be what you are looking for.

Creed is a French company which was born in London,and later moved to Paris in 1854,and since then,have been offering some of the best scents ever created.Green Irish Tweed is one of them,and the shaving soap with this fragrance is simply one of the best smelling shaving soaps out there.Green Irish Tweed was launched in 1985, by Oliver Creed, and afterward was basically "copied" by Davidoff Cool Water Man in 1988,and makes this scent not as "unique" as Original Vetiver,for example.

It seems that Creed shaving soaps contained tallow in the past,but its impossible to knot the current formulation,since there is not ingredients list on the carboard box,and just a quick mention to lanolin and honey on the wooden lid :

[Image: P1240760.JPG?m=1342650171]

and this is what its written on the back of the carboard box (no ingredient list anywhere) :

[Image: P1240757.JPG?m=1342629051]

This is one of the most expensive shaving soaps out there.The wooden bowl with a 110 g shaving soap puck cost 72 dollars and there is no refills for it : if you want it again,you have to buy it with the wooden bowl.The wooden bowl is not one of the best,to be honest,far away from the Floris or the Penhaligons wooden bowls,which are better made and finish it than this.

Its a triple milled soap,which last you a very long time,and,as another great French soap,Martin de Candre,you dont need a lot of soap to create tons of lather,which makes it "economical" on a long run. I have used this soap more than 15 times,and the lettering is still visible on the shaving soap.

And what does Green Irish Tweed smells like? Lets check out is pyramid :

Green Irish Tweed opens with top notes of iris and lemon verbena. The middle notes include violet leaves. The base notes are ambergris and Mysore sandalwood.

So,its a complex scent,with fresh notes from Iris and Lemon Verbena and some deep,earthy ones like Mysore Sandalwood.Its a nice scent,but very similar,almost identical,to Cool Water Man,to be honest.

The soap smells like the EDT and its a strong scent.I can tell you that If I leave the Green Irish Tweed shaving soap or the Original Vetiver without the wooden lid,my bathroom would be overflow with their scents,literally.

And how does it shaves?Very good.It shaves like a top shaving soap.This soap produces very slick lather,as well as dense (thick).Does it performs better than Floris shaving soaps?No,I can tell you right now.And what about better than Harris soaps?Either.And what about La Toja shaving stick?No,no,no but you know that sometimes the price doesnt means that you are getting the best.

Dont expect to find the "best" soap out there (skin care wise) but if you are a lover of the Green Irish Tweed (or Cool Water Man) you will like this soap.If not,maybe you should get Martin de Candre first,or Floris JF/Elite,if you want to spend that amount of money on a good shaving soap.Or maybe buy 15 cases or 12 sticks each of Arko!!!BiggrinBiggrin

A good scent for a good soap,but I wont be buying it again.Original Vetiver on the other side,would be replace it for sure (if they would keep making it).

86 7,123
 07-18-2012, 03:49 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Another wonderful and frank review Teiste. Creed has been the one soap that I have always wanted to try, but never been able to justify (or perhaps more accurately, easily locate). I have recently acquired some Floris soaps (of which I an very pleased with), but will no doubt continue to seduced by Creed until the day I experience it for myself...

91 17,801
 07-18-2012, 09:32 PM
User Info
If you like the scent, I've heard good things about Queen Charlotte Soaps' version, but haven't tried it personally.

12 1,243
 07-18-2012, 10:20 PM
User Info
Teiste, have you used any of the "copycat" GIT shaving soaps (Mama Bear's, Queen Charlotte Soaps, Wicked Soaps) to compare to the real thing?

183 12,002
 07-19-2012, 09:06 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(07-18-2012, 10:20 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Teiste, have you used any of the "copycat" GIT shaving soaps (Mama Bear's, Queen Charlotte Soaps, Wicked Soaps) to compare to the real thing?

No,I havent,John.I bet they smell basically like this one.

86 7,123
 07-20-2012, 09:33 AM
User Info
Nice article. I agree that top money doesn't guarantee a top shave. I didn't know Davidoff aped Cool Water off the Creed scent. But they did put me off the fragrance for good. See, I grew up sniffing Cool Water and Fahrenheit... all my uncles and bigger cousins, basically every adult I knew with the exception of my father was a fan and I cannot stand either(scents) now. I love my Arko creams but I cannot use its Kool variant because of the Cool Water scent.

0 54
 07-20-2012, 11:23 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Yes,Cool Water for man is one of those scents which have been "copied" a lot by others,but the funny thing is,they first "copied" Green Irish Tweed.

86 7,123
 07-20-2012, 06:47 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review, Teiste.

75 20,883
 11-14-2013, 06:33 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I just picked up a bowl of this from the local Nieman Marcus. I have had several opportunities to purchase Creed shaving soap in the past, but always deferred, thinking, "here is another luxury brand that has some mediocre product made, knowing they can charge top dollar for it." Or thinking it would be nice smelling, poor performing soap like Floris and Penhaligons (before their most recent reformulation).

Well, I am happy to say that I was quite wrong. Creed shaving soap is simply outstanding. The soap lathers more easily than my other hard shaving soaps, the lather is stable, slick, and protective, skin care is top notch, and the scent is just what you'd expect.

Like Teiste, I prefer Vetiver to Green Irish Tweed, but I started with what was available to me. This is expensive soap, no doubt. Ridiculously expensive. But the performance is such that I plan on purchasing additional bowls of Vetiver and Santal when I am able.

Oh, and here are the ingredients:

[Image: 10863225085_2ce3e72146_b.jpg]

43 1,690
 11-14-2013, 09:23 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(11-14-2013, 06:33 PM)Andrew Wrote: I just picked up a bowl of this from the local Nieman Marcus. I have had several opportunities to purchase Creed shaving soap in the past, but always deferred, thinking, "here is another luxury brand that has some mediocre product made, knowing they can charge top dollar for it." Or thinking it would be nice smelling, poor performing soap like Floris and Penhaligons (before their most recent reformulation).

Well, I am happy to say that I was quite wrong. Creed shaving soap is simply outstanding. The soap lathers more easily than my other hard shaving soaps, the lather is stable, slick, and protective, skin care is top notch, and the scent is just what you'd expect.

Like Teiste, I prefer Vetiver to Green Irish Tweed, but I started with what was available to me. This is expensive soap, no doubt. Ridiculously expensive. But the performance is such that I plan on purchasing additional bowls of Vetiver and Santal when I am able.

Oh, and here are the ingredients:

[Image: 10863225085_2ce3e72146_b.jpg]

Thanks for posting the pic , Andrew , but , if you read the ingredients , where is the lanolin ?HuhHuh

86 7,123
 11-15-2013, 03:27 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
You are right, Teiste! Where's the lanolin? What about the honey and almond?

I have to admit, I thought my skin reacted to lanolin but am not sure. I have had no issues with the Creed soap, and perhaps that is because it lacks lanolin?

Andrew

43 1,690