02-26-2016, 03:26 PM
  • jb2016
  • Los Angeles
User Info
Hey guys,

Just to give you some background, I have been shaving with DE razors now for the last 7 years. I started with the Progress Long Handle, and within the last 6 months I've also purchased an R41 2013 model and a 34C HD. My, what a difference it has made! I'm really loving the R41. Anyhow, over the last year or two, I've considered dabbling into the straight razor shave territory, but I don't trust myself enough yet to go all in (plus it would add way more time to my routine). I haven't committed yet to the shavette idea simply because I get a mixed bag impression overall.

What I do know is that I like the look of the Dovo Shavettes (the black and blue handle especially) - it's lightweight, somewhat rounded, and has both an aluminum and plastic construction which appeals to me for better grip (I guess). I'm trying to avoid any straight razor/shavette handles that are designed to be "super flat" and made out of metal because I know I may forget to reach for that alum block or towel at some point.

What do you guys think? How is the Dovo Shavette as far as performance goes? Would I be able to get shaves that are just as good or even better than the R41? What's the best shavette out there in the market?

Really appreciate the advice. 

Thanks!
Jack

P.S. If there's a post or a thread somewhere which could help me find some answers, I would love to see them!

0 25
 02-26-2016, 05:27 PM
User Info
I don't use a straight razor or a shavette. 

I've heard that a shavette is more difficult to use that a straight razor. 

And I've heard that a straight razor isn't that easy. 

The DE razors that you have sounds good to me.

Give ear also to other members who have more experience than I.

1 401
 02-26-2016, 05:54 PM
  • jb2016
  • Los Angeles
User Info
@duck creek - will do, definitely!

Update: Not surprisingly, found a thread discussion on a different website related to this topic. Will do some research there as well Biggrin.

0 25
 02-26-2016, 10:47 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I've tried a lot of shavettes and my top 3 would be

Feather Artist Club DX series (both folding and kamisori style)
Kai Captain series (both folding and kamisori style)
Irving Barber Company shavette

28 1,433
 02-27-2016, 03:32 AM
  • jb2016
  • Los Angeles
User Info
@ Snuff - It seems like many users in the community are giving their shout outs to Feather and Kai. I'm also seeing some attention given to Parker, Universal, Magic/Personna(?), and Weck. For my first shavette at least, I would like one that doesn't just accept proprietary blades. That way I can go through my current inventory, and figure out which combination will work best Biggrin.

Thank you for the list!

0 25
 02-27-2016, 03:42 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Then the Irving Barber Company shavette is your choice. Takes half double edge blades, Feather artist blades (or anything similar like Kai and Dorco blades) and injector blades. That's 3 kinds of blades in one shavette.

28 1,433
 02-28-2016, 03:59 AM
  • jb2016
  • Los Angeles
User Info
Sounds good. I'll definitely take a look at their shavette as well Biggrin.

Thank you!

0 25
 02-28-2016, 04:18 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
An SE blade, like Feather and Kai will more closely emulate a straight razor. They are thicker than DE blades and thats primarily where the correlation is. However, they are likely to be sharper than many straights. Personally I see little value in a DE bladed shavette. May as well just use a safety razor.

I've owned a Dovo shavette and promptly sold it. It was very light and felt neither like a straight nor a safety razor, more like a blade on an iced lolly stick! In contrast I've owned a number of Feather Artist Club SE razors and kept most of them. I also occasionally use straights, mostly kamisori style (non folding).

I've just had a look at Irving Barber Company shavette and I like it, I'd echo a recommendation for this (or SE Feather or Kai).

99 18,011
 02-29-2016, 01:40 AM
  • jb2016
  • Los Angeles
User Info
I got a chance to look at the IBC Shavettes, and they look absolutely gorgeous. They are definitely going on my WTB list to pick up sometime in the near future!

Thank you Snuff!

0 25
 02-29-2016, 01:49 AM
  • jb2016
  • Los Angeles
User Info
I definitely love the Kamisori styles too! Im pretty sure these facts have already been observed & discussed before, but they seem to have a much more natural, intuitive grip compared to a traditional folding blade.
Also, I feel like you're much less likely to fumble one of those than you could do with a folding blade - which is the thing I fear the most!  A47

0 25
 03-05-2016, 05:20 PM
User Info
I would recommend Weck, Dovo or Parker for shavettes. Real easy to load and really good close shaves!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

22 160