Poll: Which is more important, blade or razor?
 02-26-2016, 10:02 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Which choice is more important, blade or razor... ?

Obviously its a combination of both, but which is more crucial, the cutting edge or how its presented to the face?

If you've found your perfect razor, can you use any blade with it, or is it more a case of find your perfect blade and you'll have a decent shave regardless of razor?

For me, its more about the razor. When I think about SE razors and blade for example, I do have a preference for Kai Mild blades, but I can happily shave with Feather Pros. For me, its the razor that makes a real difference. The King Cobra is my go to SE razor and it consistently delivers a great shave. The Mongoose for example (and I've owned the B1, B2 and Aluminium) just didn't work as well for me. 

This experience isn't exclusive to SE. I've found the same with DE razors. I have a preferred blade, but I achieve decent results with my preferred razor even when used with a variety of blades. Whereas my preferred blade in any razor dosen't always assure me of a good result.

So IMO, the razor is most important...

99 18,011
 02-26-2016, 10:10 PM
User Info
I voted blade.

1 440
 02-26-2016, 10:11 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Thanks for playing!

99 18,011
 02-26-2016, 10:13 PM
User Info
Blade. Not a single DE razor worked for me yet multiple SE razors from vintage to modern work great. I may have a preference to certain ones, but I could shave with any SE much better than any DE. 

Within the same type of blade (DE, traditional SE, Feather AC) then you can see the razor itself making more of a difference. But this is more of a nearsighted approach. For the bigger picture it is all about the blade.

31 8,057
 02-26-2016, 10:16 PM
User Info
Agreed. Razor for me.

0 650
 02-26-2016, 10:16 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Appreciate your input Brian.

This pursuit is such a journey for me, recently I decided SE was superior to DE (and I'm probably still mostly of that mindset), but I've been drawn back to DE again and am experiencing surprisingly good results.

We probably need another poll with a "DE vs SE thread... Which is King... ?"

99 18,011
 02-26-2016, 10:17 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(02-26-2016, 10:16 PM)ssultan Wrote: Agreed. Razor for me.

I'm with you Sameer. The razor makes the most difference for me.

99 18,011
 02-26-2016, 10:20 PM
User Info
Went through a range of blades till I settled on the sharpest I could find. They work well in all my favourite DEs.

0 650
 02-26-2016, 10:26 PM
User Info
When my R41 is being used, that razor treats my face well with a variety of blades...I would be comfortable with 4-5 various blades. When Im using my BBS-1, I know that the Voshkod is absolutely the best so far that I have found.

Mongoose reminds me of the R41. It seems to give greats shaves with whatever blade I choose to use.

79 1,337
 02-26-2016, 10:44 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I voted razor.

178 23,806
 02-27-2016, 02:14 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I voted blade. If you don't have a good edge no matter the type of razor, DE/SE/SR, your end result will not be good and sometimes down right unpleasant.

Bob

0 1,694
 02-27-2016, 02:22 AM
User Info
If you're using a safety razor, the choice of razor is more paramount than blade, as the razor's design clearly presents more variables (angle, gap, closeness, safety, handle type, materials used, and more). And this is regardless of whether you prefer SE's or DE's, as there can be great, mid, and poor razors of each type using a number of similar blades.

In any case, a bad blade or a bad razor will not give a good shave. But as long as you know your blade is shave worthy, the real differences come in how it is handled and delivered by the razor.

If you're using a straight, well, I guess it's gotta be the blade... but I assume the OP is talking safety razors in the blade/razor question.

Cool topic of discussion!

2 308
 02-27-2016, 02:28 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I voted razor.

I think that there are many differences from razor to razor, they don't perform the same. It was a lot easier for me to find the perfect blade, than the perfect razor, which I am still searching for. I'm waiting a Mongoose B3, so who knows.

49 1,995
 02-27-2016, 03:21 AM
User Info
It's gotten to the point where I've weeded out all the "bad" blades from my drawer, and I learned the idiosyncrasies of all my razors... so at this point it's six one way, half dozen the other.

3 4,479
 02-27-2016, 04:21 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
 02-27-2016, 05:42 AM
User Info
(02-26-2016, 10:16 PM)ben74 Wrote: Appreciate your input Brian.

This pursuit is such a journey for me, recently I decided SE was superior to DE (and I'm probably still mostly of that mindset), but I've been drawn back to DE again and am experiencing surprisingly good results.

We probably need another poll with a "DE vs SE thread... Which is King... ?"

My journey was relatively short due to the vast difference in shave quality between SE & DE. If my experience wasn't so drastic between the two, then I think I would have said razor. It is pretty interesting how the same blade can feel and perform differently from razor to razor. 

It also depends on if you rotate razors or blades more. I pretty much have two razors that I use; OneBlade & Mongoose. They use different blade types and for each one there is a big difference between the blades and how they perform for me. GEM SS PTFE blades completely outperform the Feather Hi-Stainless blades in the OneBlade. Kai Milds couldn't even cut my stubble in the Mongoose while the Feather Pro glides effortlessly through even my heaviest growth. The Feather Super Pro leaves no doubt that the blade affects the shave more within a single razor, but yet in a different razor it could feel vastly different as well. 

If you rotate through many razors then it will seem that the razor plays more of a role. In this case many people try blades until they find what works best in each razor. Few that I've seen will use the same DE blade across all of their razors. So I'm not sure if that indicates a higher order of importance to the blade or the razor. 

I think it comes down to which of the two you vary the most. I predict those with a larger razor rotation will say razor, while those with a smaller or nonexistent rotation will say blade.

31 8,057
 02-27-2016, 06:02 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Razor, and familiarity/technique with it.
Unlike so many in the wet shaving world, I can get a great shave with just about any blade out there that I have used. Some of them may be smoother, some of them may be sharper, some of them I might only get one decent shave out of before I toss them. But whatever their lifespan, I get great shaves with all of them I've tried, in any razor I use. I just like certain ones better than others.
I use everything from a very mild Lady Gillette, through vintage Super Speeds, LC NEW, Old Type.Black Beauty, Slim,  Maggard V3, all the way up to the Muhle R41. The blade hardly matters; I get fantastic shaves with all of these razors, no matter what blade I use.
I cannot even remember the last time I had what I would call a bad shave. Can't even really remember the last time I got anything more than minor, fleeting irritation.
I also use vintage SEs and straights, I get great shaves with these as well, but the blade I use in the SEs  is the only one I have used after I got my technique with them down, so I cannot say with certainty that this would hold true for them.

2 1,683
 02-27-2016, 06:12 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
This is one of the big attractions for me about wet shaving. The variety and beauty of the tools used, the "ceremony" of shaving it self, and the lively and intelligent discussions it generates among people that I consider some of the best on the planet. Like Newb above,I'm very lucky in that most things used in our most admirable occupation work for me, it's more a matter of degree. That said, I had to vote for the blade. If I found a good or great one it works in any razor I use, and the same can be said for the few bad ones, or less good, I get the same results no matter what razor I use.

7 2,322
 02-27-2016, 06:15 AM
User Info
I voted razor.

0 3,340
 02-27-2016, 06:52 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(02-27-2016, 02:22 AM)Len Wrote: If you're using a safety razor, the choice of razor is more paramount than blade, as the razor's design clearly presents more variables (angle, gap, closeness, safety, handle type, materials used, and more). And this is regardless of whether you prefer SE's or DE's, as there can be great, mid, and poor razors of each type using a number of similar blades.

In any case, a bad blade or a bad razor will not give a good shave. But as long as you know your blade is shave worthy, the real differences come in how it is handled and delivered by the razor.

If you're using a straight, well, I guess it's gotta be the blade... but I assume the OP is talking safety razors in the blade/razor question.

Cool topic of discussion!

Yes, I had thought about the safety razor as being the most important because, as you say, they are all a bit different. Then again if your shaving technique is good and you have adjusted to the way a particular razor likes to be used it is then down to the blade. That is true with any razor type. I might have preferred "good shaving technique" to be included as an option in the poll too.

0 1,694