02-28-2016, 08:56 AM
User Info
With same knot, loft does either splay more than the other?

i recently downsized from a 830 to 610 and love the reduction of splay.

am i safe with same sized horse knot from vie long or would a shorter loft be better for face lathering?

39 275
 03-02-2016, 07:12 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
Vie Long Horse is a completely different feel compared to boar. Horse in the beginning will feel scritchy in comparison to boar. I used to have the natural brown hair knot set at 52mm but eventually let it go b/c I like boars more. But to answer your question if you bought a vie long at the same dimensions as the 830/610, you won't have a problem face lathering.

10 963
 04-10-2016, 09:30 PM
User Info
(02-28-2016, 08:56 AM)hillbillyreverend Wrote: With same knot, loft does either splay more than the other?

i recently downsized from a 830 to 610 and love the reduction of splay.

am i safe with same sized horse knot from vie long or would a shorter loft be better for face lathering?

I'm a bit late but the Vie-Long will splay minimally regardless of Fan or Bulb shape (closer to a Hybrid Bulb/Fan), I'd stick with knots no smaller than 23mm and go for the Natural White Horse Hair.  If you're a fan of slight scritch, the Natural Brown is comparable to a Pure or Black Badger out of the box, and like any Horse Hair will soften with regular use, though not as quickly as most Boars.  A Natural White Fan makes it ideal for creams and holds its own against soft or hard soaps, the Natural Brown Horse is perfect for the Fan shape, it devours hard soaps with little effort, and is gentle enough to use with creams.

1 181
 04-11-2016, 01:58 AM
User Info
If a person is looking for horse mainly to face lather, they kneed to know going in that horse knots tangle easily, and if one is a splaying, circular scrubbing kind of guy, they can end up with a mess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 403
 04-11-2016, 09:13 AM
User Info
(04-11-2016, 01:58 AM)PickledNorthern Wrote: If a person is looking for horse mainly to face lather, they kneed to know going in that horse knots tangle easily, and if one is a splaying, circular scrubbing kind of guy, they can end up with a mess.

I've owned/ used 30+ V-L Horses in Banded, White & Brown, and have had one Brown tangle/ knot, and I can definitely say it was mainly user error by using too much pressure on a brush with 20mm knot and a loft over 52mm.  Once I combed it out and used less pressure the problem was resolved... that being said, manufacturers defects can never be ruled out.

Since that time, all my knots have been 23mm or larger and 99% of my lofts are at or below 50mm, I do have one @53/24.4mm, and haven't had knotting issues, I do face-lather 100% and use circular & painting motions... all brushes have different characteristics which is why altering a technique is required, even with those of the same Hair type.

1 181
 04-11-2016, 11:01 AM
User Info
(04-11-2016, 09:13 AM)TommyGuns59 Wrote:
(04-11-2016, 01:58 AM)PickledNorthern Wrote: If a person is looking for horse mainly to face lather, they kneed to know going in that horse knots tangle easily, and if one is a splaying, circular scrubbing kind of guy, they can end up with a mess.

I've owned/ used 30+ V-L Horses in Banded, White & Brown, and have had one Brown tangle/ knot, and I can definitely say it was mainly user error by using too much pressure on a brush with 20mm knot and a loft over 52mm.  Once I combed it out and used less pressure the problem was resolved... that being said, manufacturers defects can never be ruled out.

Since that time, all my knots have been 23mm or larger and 99% of my lofts are at or below 50mm, I do have one @53/24.4mm, and haven't had knotting issues, I do face-lather 100% and use circular & painting motions... all brushes have different characteristics which is why altering a technique is required, even with those of the same Hair type.

I have only had like eight (ish?) or so in various lengths and hairs, and I totally agree that it is operator error, or lack of info about your product. My point, which I must not have gotten across well, is that if you are a mashing type face latherer, be careful with your horse brushes. There is a difference between using horse and boar.

It was not meant to be a commentary about one being better than the other.

15 403
 04-11-2016, 09:57 PM
User Info
(04-11-2016, 11:01 AM)PickledNorthern Wrote: I have only had like eight (ish?) or so in various lengths and hairs, and I totally agree that it is operator error, or lack of info about your product. My point, which I must not have gotten across well, is that if you are a mashing type face latherer, be careful with your horse brushes.  There is a difference between using horse and boar.  

It was not meant to be a commentary about one being better than the other.

Your initial post was not taken personally and I was in agreement, I did feel a need to clarify your meaning for the newer members that may shy away thinking it would be an inferior choice.  Horses work best with minimal splay/ light pressure, letting the tips do the work.  We all have certain brush types we prefer over others, I totally enjoy my Horses & prefer my Black Badger and Shavemac Finest over most Silver-Tips, an exception would be the Vie-Long Silver-Tip.

I've tried several different Boars and Synthetics and neither held my interest for long, though two exceptions were the Omega 11575 Boar and a Custom Kabuki, the former was PIFed as I prefer Horse, and my 8 y/o has laid claim to the Kabuki and Shavemac Silver-Tip Fan.

1 181
 04-11-2016, 09:59 PM
User Info
Gotcha. All good. Happy shaves.

15 403
 04-24-2016, 04:21 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Got a Zenith 24 mm horse under evaluation this week. It definitely is a different composition of mane/tail then my fan from Vie Long. It's softer, much less scritchy, yet still has backbone. Shed on the first 2 shaves, and only 2 hairs today.

19 742
 04-26-2016, 10:46 AM
User Info
I just got the Lord randall horse hair brush I really love it. I can see it taking over my boars, never thought a horse hair could be so good. It has just enough scrub very soft and most importantly let's the lather go extremely well. For me the vie-long horse hair brush is top knotch

4 84
 04-26-2016, 11:02 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I've dealt with abused horses that came in with tails hopelessly matted in dreadlocks full of debri, urine, dirt, alfalfa stems and a dead lizard. I horrified people by taking a can of WD 40 and liberally spraying the tail with half the can. Then I quickly picked it out with a horse comb and shampooed. I would NOT recommend WD 40 on a shaving brush, but horsehair is a different critter Vie-Long is THE horsehair brushmaker.

2 3,171