02-28-2016, 02:18 PM
User Info
I have struggled to make lather in the bowl ever since I got into wet shaving so I have mainly face lathered. From Proraso creams to MdC soap, I have had no luck with the bowl. Then the other day as I kept researching on the forum and watching videos on you tube I realized my error in my technique. I have been swirling the brush to create lather, without splaying it a bit. Once I applied a little pressure on the brush to splay it and swirled it in the bowl, I had velvety lather in short time, it was a great feeling to accomplish this .
I wanted to share my success with this forum as it has helped me greatly in this learning curve and so my journey into getting getting better results continues for other areas of wet shaving.

0 39
 02-28-2016, 03:26 PM
User Info
For me, Proraso lather can be modulated greatly by brush pressure. I use boar with it, and I find that if I apply too much pressure, the later is dry -- which makes sense, because the bristle is pulling up a lot of product relative to the water suspended in the bristle. More than any other soap I've used, Proraso responds to changes in brush pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 25
 02-28-2016, 06:23 PM
User Info
(02-28-2016, 03:26 PM)goateeki Wrote: For me, Proraso lather can be modulated greatly by brush pressure. I use boar with it, and I find that if I apply too much pressure, the later is dry -- which makes sense, because the bristle is pulling up a lot of product relative to the water suspended in the bristle. More than any other soap I've used, Proraso responds to changes in brush pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, I never considered this variable when learning to making lather.

0 39
 02-28-2016, 06:47 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
I've always bowl lather for the 9 months I've been wet shaving but the last 5 shaves I'm trying to learn how to face lather but finding it had to do. I find bowl lathering it puts a lot of air in the lather.

5 527
 02-28-2016, 06:59 PM
User Info
(02-28-2016, 06:47 PM)Chaddy Wrote: I've always bowl lather for the 9 months I've been wet shaving but the last 5 shaves I'm trying to learn how to face lather but finding it had to do. I find bowl lathering it puts a lot of air in the lather.

If you're having trouble building it on your face due to lack of air mixing with the lather use more painting strokes.  After each water incorporation paint it back out on your face.

83 423
 02-28-2016, 10:51 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Congratulations, Sanibelon!  I like a fan-shaped brush for bowl-lathering, as it affords me a larger working surface on the brush.  I get slightly different lathering effects from changing the direction of the swirling and I sometimes use light compression (low-pressure plunging motion).  The light compression builds lather more quickly, while the swirling "conditions" the lather more (works out little bubbles).

Keep up the good work!  As you continue to lather in a bowl, your control over the final result will be refined.

- Murray

4 1,150
 05-01-2016, 04:11 PM
User Info
I've always had success with Arko.

0 7
 05-01-2016, 06:39 PM
User Info
I have better luck bowl lathering w/ creams by putting the cream directly into my brush (and then bowl lathering), rather than putting the cream in the bowl to lather.

13 466
 05-02-2016, 02:31 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Face lathering is how I started too
 Nothing to it compared to bowl lathering  but I finally got the hang of it and I bowl lather as often as face now. For me there was no "trick" to it, I just practiced it as often as I could. I spent most evenings  standing in the doorway to the bathroom  watching the tv in the bedroom with my wife while I whipped up a lather of various  products.

7 2,281
 05-02-2016, 12:38 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I guess I should have asked about the brush you're using. Some brushes lend themselves to bowl lathering more than others.

7 2,281
 05-04-2016, 04:59 AM
  • Urolex
  • Phoenix, AZ
User Info
I had trouble until I got a bowl with ridges. That extra air made ask the difference.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

49 415
 05-04-2016, 11:27 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Aesop SS bowl works wonderfully too!

111 1,406
 05-06-2016, 12:42 PM
User Info
(02-28-2016, 02:18 PM)Sanibelon Wrote: I have struggled to make lather in the bowl ever since I got into wet shaving so I have mainly face lathered. From Proraso creams to MdC soap, I have had no luck with the bowl. Then the other day as I kept researching on the forum and watching videos on you tube I realized my error in my technique. I have been swirling the brush to create lather, without splaying it a bit. Once I applied a little pressure on the brush to splay it and swirled it in the bowl, I had velvety lather in short time, it was a great feeling to accomplish this .
I wanted to share my success with this forum as it has helped me greatly in this learning curve and so my journey into getting getting better results continues for other areas of wet shaving.

Congratulations on bowl lather success!  I actually lather directly from the puck itself, which I find gives me a better lather than regular bowl lathering. 

Good luck!

1 56
 05-06-2016, 07:33 PM
User Info
(05-01-2016, 06:39 PM)22bulldog Wrote: I have better luck bowl lathering w/ creams by putting the cream directly into my brush (and then bowl lathering), rather than putting the cream in the bowl to lather.
I will have to try this.

0 39
 05-07-2016, 02:35 AM
User Info
ridges are not the catalyst. its the brush.

36 886
 05-10-2016, 05:00 PM
User Info
(05-07-2016, 02:35 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: ridges are not the catalyst. its the brush.

Interesting comment. Do you mean that ridges do not improve or speed up lather production? Curious because I'm considering adding ridges (not yet sure how) to one of my slick salsa lathering bowls.

16 148
 05-10-2016, 05:48 PM
User Info
I started with bowl lathering because I found it easier to control what I was doing as far as adding water and whatnot.

0 1,053