02-29-2016, 05:14 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
It just dawned on me why Mayberry was so peaceful and quiet....nobody was married.

Here are the people that come to mind:  Andy, Aunt Bea, Barney, Floyd, Howard, Goober, Gomer, Sam, Ernest T Bass, the Darlin family, Helen, Thelma Lou, Clara...

The only one married was Otis and he stayed drunk  most of the time.
  Biggrin

178 23,807
 02-29-2016, 05:31 PM
User Info
You know I never realized that. I used to watch that with my dad. Guess now we know the secret to happiness! Biggrin

147 3,535
 02-29-2016, 06:21 PM
User Info
 02-29-2016, 06:33 PM
User Info
Hilarious

13 492
 02-29-2016, 08:07 PM
User Info
I'm not married. I don't have expenses due to a woman or to children. 

So I have some money in my wallet.

1 440
 02-29-2016, 08:08 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
LoL  Great observation!  I need to buy some more beer!

48 976
 03-01-2016, 04:25 AM
User Info
Andy Griffith was a genius in more ways than one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 25
 03-01-2016, 08:25 AM
User Info
(02-29-2016, 08:07 PM)duck creek Wrote: I'm not married. I don't have expenses due to a woman or to children. 

So I have some money in my wallet.

I have both and I have none. Biggrin wouldn't trade it for anything though..

0 127
 03-03-2016, 06:53 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Maybe they were all swingers. Biggrin

168 1,377
 03-03-2016, 08:33 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
The opening credits were filmed at nearby Lake Malibu; one of two manmade lakes created in the 20s as duck hunting and elicit love tryst retreats for the Hollywood elite. The other one is Lake Sherwood which stands as entryway to the two lane road into Hidden Valley; one of, if not the most expensive property locals and home to equestrian operations. The DYNASTy chateau is located there and all the car commercals are shot on local too. Beyond that is the old state mental hospital; famous for the lobby scene in CHINATOWN. It's beautiful still, though the rest of the grounds are horrid wooden structures now multi used including Channel Islands College. A little known holdover is the CCRs for Lake Sherwood still exclude blacks from buying the 99 year leases! I suppose nobody much cares as it's a odd collection of people with little attraction. But that opening scene underscores another reality of Mayberry- not one black character or even walk on. I realize this show was done in the 50s- and I love it as much as anyone. But if anyone were to resurrect Mayberry RFD lets have a black barber or gas station owner. Oh, and this time Aunt Bea needs to speak like a Tarheel and not New England high society matron.

2 3,171
 03-03-2016, 11:05 PM
User Info
(03-03-2016, 08:33 PM)kav Wrote: The opening credits were filmed at nearby Lake Malibu; one of two manmade lakes created in the 20s as duck hunting and elicit love tryst retreats for the Hollywood elite. The other one is Lake Sherwood which stands as entryway to the two lane road into Hidden Valley; one of, if not the most expensive property locals and home to equestrian operations. The DYNASTy chateau is located there and all the car commercals are shot on local too. Beyond that is the old state mental hospital; famous for the lobby scene in CHINATOWN. It's beautiful still, though the rest of the grounds are horrid wooden structures now multi used including Channel Islands College. A little known holdover is the CCRs for Lake Sherwood still exclude blacks from buying the 99 year leases! I suppose nobody much cares as it's a odd collection of people with little attraction.But that opening scene underscores another reality of Mayberry- not one black character or even walk on. I realize this show was done in the 50s- and I love it as much as anyone. But if anyone were to resurrect Mayberry RFD lets have a black barber or gas station owner. Oh, and this time Aunt Bea needs to speak like a Tarheel and not New England high society matron.

False there was a black character in there. He was opies football coach. I also remember black extras as well.
[Image: 11gCOgP.jpg]

0 127