03-03-2016, 03:55 AM
  • jb2016
  • Los Angeles
User Info
Hey guys,

Had me a Drew Estate Tabak Especial Dulce Toro Connecticut cigar last night for the first time. This was recommended to me by the cigar shop owner because I wanted a mild-medium cigar with a sweet taste (a la cinnamon). I mentioned to him that I’m a new cigar smoker, and that I’ve tried the Montecristo Toro before (but forgot to mention that it was the White Label version). Anyhow, he said that this cigar would be the best to start with because it would taste just like a caramel macchiato. So I took it home, lit it up, and really started enjoying this. After reaching the halfway point however, the flavor profile changed dramatically. It went from being a very mild-mellow sweet flavored cigar to being something very bitter and flavorless. I couldn’t finish this cigar after that point, so I ended my session early. This leads me to ask if there’s a similar (or even a better) cigar out there as far as taste is concerned, but with more consistency in flavor output and strength?

Thank you.

[Image: TZh4VLl.jpg]

0 25
 03-03-2016, 04:09 AM
User Info
I use to smoke Drew Estate Java cigars all the time. They are a consistent smoke and there for a while sold like crazy. There is also the Acid line and the Natural line and CAO.These all have different flavor profiles as well. Most of these are done by Drew Estate. Some cigars as you smoke them will tend to get a little harsh at the end. 

It's just best to do your homework. Even shop owners may consider a middle of the road medium body as a mild.

49 356
 03-03-2016, 04:15 AM
User Info
I like the dirt torpedos by Drew estate they have the sweetened tip and are pretty mild

3 55
 03-03-2016, 06:51 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Stick with the classics and don't get anything flavored.  Most flavorings turn bitter.  I'd recommend Ashton & Fuente brands. They are high quality and generally on the mild side.

168 1,387
 03-03-2016, 07:31 AM
User Info
I agree with Steelman about staying away from the infused stuff...also a proper technique is required to smoke a cigar...example is you do not want to smoke to fast as the cigar will burn hot and cook the oils in the tabacco, causing a bitter taste that is very unpleasant. You may also want to purge your cigar after a few puffs (blowing out through it instead of pulling (sucking) toward you) just to allow cooler air in..I have been smoking cigars for many many years now, and I can tell you that it takes time. Learning how to smoke a cigar is a learning experience and an enjoyable one as well..final thoughts is..... do not rush it, if a robusto takes you an hour and a half, then that's how long it takes, I can not begin to tell you how many people I see smoking a double corona in 1 hour and then say " man that was harsh" when a double corona last me about 16 holes on a golf course or about 2 hours.

26 470
 03-03-2016, 07:42 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(03-03-2016, 07:31 AM)amaro5211 Wrote: I agree with Steelman about staying away from the infused stuff...also a proper technique is required to smoke a cigar...example is you do not want to smoke to fast as the cigar will burn hot and cook the oils in the tabacco, causing a bitter taste that is very unpleasant. You may also want to purge your cigar after a few puffs (blowing out through it instead of pulling (sucking) toward you) just to allow cooler air in..I have been smoking cigars for many many years now, and I can tell you that it takes time. Learning how to smoke a cigar is a learning experience and an enjoyable one as well..final thoughts is..... do not rush it, if a robusto takes you an hour and a half, then that's how long it takes, I can not begin to tell you how many people I see smoking a double corona in 1 hour and then say " man that was harsh" when a double corona last me about 16 holes on a golf course or about 2 hours.

Superb advice.

168 1,387
 03-03-2016, 08:21 AM
User Info
I stay away from the flavored and infused myself after many years. Arturo Fuente Hemmingway is a favorite stick of mine.

49 356
 03-03-2016, 10:14 AM
User Info
Good advice here. Try a Fuente or Macanudo.

15 771
 03-03-2016, 02:42 PM
  • jb2016
  • Los Angeles
User Info
Wow, thank you guys for the recommendations!

From what I've seen, the Toros have taken me on average about an hour and a half or so to smoke - but to be honest, I know I'm rushing it because I don't want the cigar to burn out. Sounds like purging is what I need to be doing more often.

0 25
 03-03-2016, 03:28 PM
User Info
PM the area you live in, I am from Ventura and know most quality cigar stores in the the LA area...I can send you somewhere where you can get a fantastic smoke with a well established knowledge base that is noob friendly...some lounges, tend to focus on the "Sale" side, but there are a few in LA area that I drive up to just for a smoke every once in a while and have built amazing friendships with.

26 470