03-03-2016, 04:36 AM
User Info
I am trying to determine which handles will fit a new LC head.  I have searched and found some threads but none with the spec I am looking for.  Can anyone tell me what the width of the round recess measures on the underside of the New LC head?  I am referring to the recess where the top of the handle meets the underside of the head bottom plate.

I have a an ATT Atlas and iKon Bulldog that I would like to use with the vintage New Long Comb head.

5 81
 03-03-2016, 05:59 AM
User Info
(03-03-2016, 04:36 AM)KOTR Wrote: I am trying to determine which handles will fit a new LC head.  I have searched and found some threads but none with the spec I am looking for.  Can anyone tell me what the width of the round recess measures on the underside of the New LC head?  I am referring to the recess where the top of the handle meets the underside of the head bottom plate.

I have a an ATT Atlas and iKon Bulldog that I would like to use with the vintage New Long Comb head.

I don't know that they're all exactly the same. I just measured a British-made, Regent-style, ball-end LC NEW. The inside diameter of the recess was 8.97 mm (.353"). The outside diameter at the top of the handle below the threads (i.e., where it inserts into the recess and rests against the underside of the combed base) was about 8.73 mm (.3435"). The calipers were more precise than my measurement.

3 963
 03-03-2016, 08:42 AM
User Info
Thanks Chiefbroom  After some additional googling, I think this may be a hard question to answer as it seems this spec changes with the various versions of the New LC heads.  Any advice or info that anyone can offer is much appreciated.

5 81
 03-03-2016, 10:05 AM
User Info
(03-03-2016, 08:42 AM)KOTR Wrote: Thanks Chiefbroom  After some additional googling, I think this may be a hard question to answer as it seems this spec changes with the various versions of the New LC heads.  Any advice or info that anyone can offer is much appreciated.

Yes, different 2-piece LC NEW models have different base/handle geometries. I have quite a few examples. If you already have a head and can post a photo of its bottom side, there's a good chance I can't match it to one of mine and measure it. Or pick it out here.

3 963
 03-03-2016, 10:36 AM
User Info
I have both plates.  The ones with the larger cutouts were for the bar handles and the smaller ones for the ball-end ones.  The UFO handles site states that his neck dimension is 8.5 mm  which will fit the smaller cutouts.  The large cutout on my bar handled plate is 10mm (1cm) at it's narrowest and the neck of my bar handle is the same 10mm.  The small cutout on my ball-end razor is indeed 8.5mm and the neck of the handle measures the same.  Hope this helps.

1 220
 03-03-2016, 10:50 AM
User Info
(03-03-2016, 10:36 AM)Laird Wrote: I have both plates.  The ones with the larger cutouts were for the bar handles and the smaller ones for the ball-end ones.  The UFO handles site states that his neck dimension is 8.5 mm  which will fit the smaller cutouts.  The large cutout on my bar handled plate is 10mm (1cm) at it's narrowest and the neck of my bar handle is the same 10mm.  The small cutout on my ball-end razor is indeed 8.5mm and the neck of the handle measures the same.  Hope this helps.

There were more than two different plate designs. Some have no cutouts. See e.g., this ball-end, LC NEW.

3 963
 03-03-2016, 11:07 AM
User Info
Also, I sent an email to Stan at ATT who confirmed that the Atlas handle neck has been slightly modified.  These photos show the tapered vs. the original more donut shaped.  Whether this will ensure a fit to the LC plates I cannot personally confirm but it seems likely this was the reason for the change so it will depend on which Atlas you own.  One of our members also modified his own bulldog handle to fit as shown in this link:
http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=10783

Here are the Atlas photos:[Image: D4BJCXT.jpg][Image: vy9nSCo.png]

1 220
 03-03-2016, 11:16 AM
User Info
(03-03-2016, 10:50 AM)Chiefbroom Wrote:
(03-03-2016, 10:36 AM)Laird Wrote: I have both plates.  The ones with the larger cutouts were for the bar handles and the smaller ones for the ball-end ones.  The UFO handles site states that his neck dimension is 8.5 mm  which will fit the smaller cutouts.  The large cutout on my bar handled plate is 10mm (1cm) at it's narrowest and the neck of my bar handle is the same 10mm.  The small cutout on my ball-end razor is indeed 8.5mm and the neck of the handle measures the same.  Hope this helps.

There were more than two different plate designs. Some have no cutouts. See e.g., this ball-end, LC NEW.
Yes you are right, but I was only trying to give info on the two that I own.  I should have made that clarification to the op in my post.  Even the neck of the ball end handle to my old type is slightly larger than the two I have on my LC NEWs.  I've read your posts where you say you have a fondness for the ball end handle and so do I.  It seems like that little bit of extra weight from the brass ball balances much better against the LC head than the bar or even a fat Tech handle.  I've considered adding some tungsten putty to a bar or fat Tech handle to achieve that same balance.  Cheers

1 220
 03-03-2016, 11:18 AM
User Info
I hope this info helps but as Chief has said, there are more than two styles of LC heads.

1 220
 03-03-2016, 12:20 PM
User Info
(03-03-2016, 11:16 AM)Laird Wrote: Yes you are right, but I was only trying to give info on the two that I own.  I should have made that clarification to the op in my post.  Even the neck of the ball end handle to my old type is slightly larger than the two I have on my LC NEWs.  I've read your posts where you say you have a fondness for the ball end handle and so do I.  It seems like that little bit of extra weight from the brass ball balances much better against the LC head than the bar or even a fat Tech handle.  I've considered adding some tungsten putty to a bar or fat Tech handle to achieve that same balance.  Cheers

My reply was not at all intended as criticism, just observation. I have a lot of NEWs, mostly British-made, but don't remember ever paying very close attention to base-handle dimensions.

It's funny. I'd guess I own around 80 vintage razors. The one I use 19+ days out of 20 is an un-plated, British, ball-end, LC NEW that I paid $12 and some change for (after conversion) on UK eBay about four years ago. A member-friend here was kind enough to purchase and forward it to me. I bought it out of curiosity despite the fact I thought ball-end handles were ugly. Still do, I guess, but I love the balance of this razor. It fits me perfectly, and the ball-end serves an important purpose. The tip of my little finger rests on it very lightly. I don't think about it. Just the same, it contributes significantly to my sense of connection with/through the razor.

I have some ball-end NEWs (e.g., ones with hollow ends) that have slightly shorter handles. One is silver-plated, and I like the way it looks. But I never use it. The few mm difference in handle length completely changes its feel for me.

3 963
 03-04-2016, 06:14 AM
User Info
Thanks for all the info guys.  I scored a bar handle LC New on eBay last night.  We'll see how it works out with the various handles in my collection.

5 81
 03-04-2016, 06:45 AM
User Info
(03-04-2016, 06:14 AM)KOTR Wrote: Thanks for all the info guys.  I scored a bar handle LC New on eBay last night.  We'll see how it works out with the various handles in my collection.

Congrats! FWIW, I have a bunch of LC NEWs. All are very good razors. A few are exceptional. One is my grail razor, with a second that is just about its equal. You'll know when you find The One for you by the sense of connection you have using it and the results you achieve.

3 963
 03-15-2016, 07:32 AM
User Info
Used the New LC a few times now.  Great shaver - I am very happy with the way it performs.  The head does accept the iKon Bulldog, Weber Bulldog, and ATT Atlas handles.  I'll try to post some pics soon.

5 81
 03-19-2016, 04:26 PM
User Info
Edited my post above to indicate that the New LC head does work with the ATT Atlas handle.  I found that with a blade installed in the head, the Atlas snugs the head together tightly.

5 81