03-04-2016, 06:04 PM
  • Nero
  • Saving Through Spending More
  • le montagne
User Info
So I just happened to see on another forum that there seems to be a newer formulation of the C&E soaps and they brought back a Potassium Palmate-first ingredient list.
Does anyone here have experience with these new PP formulations by C&E yet?

55 2,535
 03-04-2016, 07:28 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
I'm going to preemptively add here: be careful if ordering from their website (or anywhere), I see their soaps are on sale for 30% off. I do not know if those are the SP or PP.

55 2,535
 03-04-2016, 07:57 PM
User Info
Too many great soap out there to burn my fingers on C&E, Floris, Penhaligon, TF&H and GFT soaps to find out if I may get a new or old version.

I did get Penhaligon Sartorial and Penhaligon Bayolea hard soaps, because I KNOW 110% they are from the new formulation.

They perform great for me, but not going to try if I can find a new version of the Blenhiems hard soap.......

24 5,833
 03-04-2016, 09:02 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
Exactly, that's why with any of those brands I make sure to contact the vendor to be absolutely sure.
If these turn out to be good soaps, I want to get some Indian Sandalwood. Or two Smile

55 2,535
 03-04-2016, 09:26 PM
User Info
(03-04-2016, 09:02 PM)Nero Wrote: Exactly, that's why with any of those brands I make sure to contact the vendor to be absolutely sure.
If these turn out to be good soaps, I want to get some Indian Sandalwood. Or two Smile

C&E Sandalwood bath gel is my favourite scent, so if the shaving soap indeed performs greatr, I would very much be interested in one as well  Thumbsup

24 5,833
 03-05-2016, 07:25 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(03-04-2016, 09:26 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(03-04-2016, 09:02 PM)Nero Wrote: Exactly, that's why with any of those brands I make sure to contact the vendor to be absolutely sure.

C&E Sandalwood bath gel is my favourite scent, so if the shaving soap indeed performs greatr, I would very much be interested in one as well  Thumbsup

The Indian Sandalwood is a little different. It has some citrus and evergreen (fir) notes to my nose. A bit fresher smelling than the previous Sandalwood.
I like both.
In fact I find nearly all Sandalwood scents disappointing but C&E's are always money.

55 2,535
 03-06-2016, 06:53 PM
User Info
This thread prompted me to visit my local C&E store today. 

I purchased a puck of the Indian Sandalwood and really look forward to testing it this evening.  The ingredients list has potassium palmate as the first ingredient and also lists santalum album wood extract (presumably from the Aussie plantations in the Northern Territory).

I cut my teeth as a wet shaver using the mysore sandalwood soap.  This new sandalwood source may or may not come close to the mysore sandalwood, but in the end that doesn't really matter.  It's just great to be getting a proper sandalwood again from C&E.  I really hope it lathers ok.

It's a pity they discontinued the Sienna range.  I loved that scent too.

The last C&E soap I tried was the abysmal previous formulation of Moroccan Myrrh (rebadged Nomad?) with Sodium Palmate as the first listed ingredient.  The worst shaving product I have ever tried.

For the record, all three current ranges are now showing potassium palmate as the lead ingredient.

I'll let you know how I go with the new Indian Sandalwood.

1 81
 03-07-2016, 05:26 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
Thanks for your initiative, Basilsniffer!
If I had a local C&E shop I would have done the same as you, too.

Looking forward to your thoughts and hopefully a lather shot or two Wink

55 2,535
 03-07-2016, 06:26 PM
User Info
(03-07-2016, 05:26 PM)Nero Wrote: Thanks for your initiative, Basilsniffer!
If I had a local C&E shop I would have done the same as you, too.  

Looking forward to your thoughts and hopefully a lather shot or two Wink

I'll grab some shots for you tonight. 

I did a quick test lather in a bowl yesterday evening when I got home.  Produced a dense stable lather. Copious amounts to be honest.  I applied it to the face and was very happy to see there was no dissipation whatsoever.   I was really impressed by it.

This morning I had my first shave with it.  I reckon the lather was pretty much the same sort of consistency as my Penhaligons BB.  Rich and creamy lather again.  I dialled back the water a little (compared with the previous evening) and got what I consider to be a prefect lather.  Shave was great.  Plenty slick enough.

I followed it with the Baume.be balm over the shaved area and then a bit of the Esbjerg moisturiser over the entire face.  (I wanted to make sure I didn't dry out too much like I can with other vege soaps like MDC, just in case).

To be honest, based on two lathers and one shave, I reckon it performs about the same as my two other favourite vege soaps, Pens BB and Cade.  Others will know better, but I would almost assume this soap is being made by the same people who do the Pens soaps.

Almost as important, I was the amazed by the scent. To my nose, it smells exactly like the old mysore version used to. It really did take me back to the old soap.  The C&E website says it now smells of  the sandalwood as well as cypress, bergamot, lavender and vetiver. 

I'll grab a shot or two for you tonight.

1 81
 03-08-2016, 01:45 AM
User Info
Here's the soap inside my old Mysore sandalwood bowl:
[Image: zk4134q.jpg]

40 sec load with a squeezed dry chubby and into the bowl. Couple of drops of water and the lather just explodes:

[Image: Gnn7Nvk.jpg]

Lather ready to go:

[Image: p6ucAVD.jpg]

And finally 5 mins later:

[Image: SZSRMOP.jpg]

The lather doesn't fade or dissipate. Fantastic scent.

1 81
 03-08-2016, 10:09 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Thanks for sharing Adam, that actually looks a bit promising.

139 2,675
 03-08-2016, 02:57 PM
User Info
Looks fantastic, will have to find out if there's a C&E near me.

Edit - 30% off soaps and refills on their site. Think they're clearing out old stock?

15 1,018
 03-08-2016, 03:45 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I just tried my C&E Moroccan Myrrh soap I was given Xmas 2014.  I hadn't used it in a year because of the poor lather it made: it wasn't slick or cushioning and the lather dissipate very quickly once on my face.  My recent experience was no different, but I'll try it a few more times before binning it if it's no better.

5 882
 03-08-2016, 03:53 PM
User Info
(03-08-2016, 02:57 PM)crazindndude Wrote: Looks fantastic, will have to find out if there's a C&E near me.

Edit - 30% off soaps and refills on their site. Think they're clearing out old stock?

The packaging of the items on the US C&E site look exactly the same as mine did, but there's no shot of the back of the cardboard box where they list the ingredients. 

30% off is too good to pass up, but you wouldn't want to end up with some of the old run-out stock.  Hopefully that's not what they're doing though, and this is more of a marketing push around the re-release.

Maybe you can contact the US C&E people to check?

1 81
 03-08-2016, 03:54 PM
User Info
(03-08-2016, 10:09 AM)blzrfn Wrote: Thanks for sharing Adam, that actually looks a bit promising.

Cheers Dave.

1 81
 03-08-2016, 04:06 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(03-08-2016, 02:57 PM)crazindndude Wrote: Looks fantastic, will have to find out if there's a C&E near me.

I called them earlier today and had a great convo with a lady in their customer service.
Her attitude was 10/10. Probably because we were talking about GOOD shaving soaps (she had probably been so sick of talking about bad ones for the past few years, hahaha). She really was very open/honest about the old formulae, down to earth, happy, and just a pleasure to talk to.
I specifically asked if the soaps available through the website (USA) were the new good version, she said YES!

55 2,535
 03-08-2016, 04:12 PM
User Info
(03-08-2016, 03:45 PM)Rufus Wrote: I just tried my C&E Moroccan Myrrh soap I was given Xmas 2014.  I hadn't used it in a year because of the poor lather it made: it wasn't slick or cushioning and the lather dissipate very quickly once on my face.  My recent experience was no different, but I'll try it a few more times before binning it if it's no better.

Bryan - I'd say you have the old version.  I chucked my 2014 Moroccan Myrrh after three unsuccessful attempts to get it to lather and horrible shaves.

1 81
 03-08-2016, 04:14 PM
User Info
(03-08-2016, 04:06 PM)Nero Wrote:

I called them earlier today and had a great convo with a lady in their customer service.
Her attitude was 10/10. Probably because we were talking about GOOD shaving soaps (she had probably been so sick of talking about bad ones for the past few years, hahaha). She really was very open/honest about the old formulae, down to earth, happy, and just a pleasure to talk to.
I specifically asked if the soaps available through the website (USA) were the new good version, she said YES!

Nice, there are two C&E stores near me so I'm going to swing by one tomorrow after work. The site said the sale is in effect in stores too, and at least there I can check the ingredients list real quick before committing.

Anyone have thoughts on the Moroccan Myrrh or West Indian Limes?

15 1,018
 03-08-2016, 05:36 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
If you're familiar with their former Nomad, the Moroccan Myrrh is a softer version of that. Not as spicy, earthy, mysterious as Nomad. I really like both though.
West Indian Limes is a spicy, also mysterious, lime scent. I believe it has ginger in the profile. When I smell it, I think I'm on a small boat in one of those calm water markets in the East (Malaysia or Thailand I'm guessing, sorry for my ignorance)

EDIT: Like this, but with fog in the air.
[Image: 86d6305b451c9a53bb5fe5bfc860f0a9.jpg]

55 2,535
 03-08-2016, 08:01 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(03-08-2016, 01:45 AM)Basilsniffer Wrote: Here's the soap inside my old Mysore sandalwood bowl:
[Image: zk4134q.jpg]

40 sec load with a squeezed dry chubby and into the bowl. Couple of drops of water and the lather just explodes:

[Image: Gnn7Nvk.jpg]

Lather ready to go:

[Image: p6ucAVD.jpg]

And finally 5 mins later:

[Image: SZSRMOP.jpg]

The lather doesn't fade or dissipate. Fantastic scent.

Thank you for your impressions and photos! Really looking forward to these now. I just ordered one puck each of Indian Sandalwood and Moroccan Myrrh.

55 2,535