03-05-2016, 08:37 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
I recently had a wonderful experience dealing with a straight razor artisan. Not only do I want to share my experience of dealing with James Arman (previously at Hart Steel - now a maker of custom straights as Arman Blades / TTFFCraft) but also share the useful info on taped/tapeless honing etc. 

It started when picked up a Hart 6/8 made by James Arman on BST. The razor was fairly new (I think) but the edge wasn't the sharpest. I decided to get it honed.

I found some conflicting information on honing with/without tape on the spine for these and also noticed some other interesting things on my blade. 

I emailed James who now has his own shop at TTFFCraft.com. He immediately responded and to my surprised offered to check and hone the razor for free. This was a very pleasant surprise as I did not expect that.

He also shared some points which I thought folks might find interesting. For example on honing with/without tape he says:

"If you do not tape the spine you will need to reset the bevel. It would be up to you how you want to proceed. If you don't tape the spine you get even ware between spine and edge geometry, but you end up with a secondary line along the spine [razor is satin finish]. If you tape the razor will continue to look like it does, but overtime the geometry will be off. The thing is the time that this geometry will be real affected will be along time down the road [several decades]. I tell people by the time it is an issue, if you are still about to use a straight buy a new one, you will be real old."

I had also noticed some peculiar characteristics of my blade - which are not Hart standard. For example, I also asked him about a small baseball/golfer on my blade and he mentioned:
"The logo is a baseball player, due to the fact I play vintage 1863 rules base ball, and the customs pay my travel expenses to play all over the state."

I also noticed that my razor did not have jimps. JA said:
" I did some without jimps because I thinned up the tang so to give it a more traditional feel over the wider tang Hart."

It was a first for me to have a 1x1 conversation with a true artisan who made my very own blade. It has made me cherish my blade very much and I finally understand the appeal of a custom razor. If you're looking to go that route - I strongly recommend James Arman - a real good guy to deal with.

Some pics for context:
[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=642335&d=1457148739][Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=642336&d=1457148742]

17 535
 03-05-2016, 08:43 AM
User Info
Pics dhow a broken link. Nice story and good info

0 286
 03-05-2016, 09:07 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
(03-05-2016, 08:43 AM)Roderick Wrote: Pics dhow a broken link. Nice story and good info

Weird - I can see on this side (via browser) - are you on tapatalk?. Trying again below:
[Image: 3hlNl8w.jpg]
[Image: CFj1BF1.jpg]

17 535
 03-20-2016, 04:38 PM
  • Slawman
  • St. Joseph, Illinois
User Info
Great looking Straight & great advice on tape. I am looking for a VERY thin & strong tape so the angle is not so much different from what it was made with. We all use electrical tape but it would be great to find a thinner one.

Dave"Slawman" Huffman

0 17