03-06-2016, 04:19 AM
  • Devilanche
  • Singapore (CONUS post address)
User Info
Which old discontinued shave soap/cream/stick have you tried and of those which are the ones that fully deserved all the rave it's getting and which to you are just overhyped whereby their status are simply there cause it's discontinued?

I just got myself down the slippery road of getting into vintage soap, bought some Yardley, AOS tallow sandalwood and a few colgate cup soap. Yea, I probably could pick up some williams and old spice.

10 376
 03-06-2016, 04:46 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Some will mention the old Yardley and British tallow soaps.
I would say the AOS tallow pucks even though they were fairly new products.
Valobra's method of "boiling to the strength" is a beautiful expression.
It's why AOS and Czech and Speake go to Genoa to get their soaps made.
They really care about their soap base.

42 1,041
 03-06-2016, 07:24 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
The tallow Trumper soaps are excellent as are the vintage penhaligons and Yardley ( I especially like the Black label version). I do not consider the tallow AOS to be vintage but, it is a very good soap.

46 18,306
 03-06-2016, 07:58 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
For me the vintage Yardley was an excellent soap as was a very old/vintage stick of Williams. I don't think I'll go further down the vintage soap road as there are too many excellent soaps in current production.

Bob

0 1,694
 03-06-2016, 09:02 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
Let's see now......Hega and Barnangens Parba sticks from Sweden which smell so nice and old-school, awesome lather, with good post-shave care. Also The Dalli-Werke stick from Germany, just to name a few. All these sticks were discontinued at least 50-80 years ago or longer as far as I can tell.

3 2,634
 03-06-2016, 09:25 AM
User Info
AOS tallow pucks are underrated as far as I'm concerned. Whatever hype they are afforded needs to be at least doubled.

16 1,027
 03-06-2016, 09:39 AM
User Info
I've tried Yardley, Williams Menthol, Williams Luxury, Williams stick (rose scented), Yardley stick, Williams menthol, Colgate cup and mug, Tonsorial, AOS tallow, Irish Moos, and Wrisley's, Old Spice, and English Leather.

I have but haven't tried yet, Paddok, HIS, Seaforth, Lentheric, and around a dozen more I can't recall off the top of my head.

I think Yardley is worth the hype. Old Spice is very good as well.

Some of the older ones that have lost their scent are subjective. Especially if they weren't stored well. I have seen older soap that is in better condition than not as old soap. Both are vintage but if one wasn't kept in a safe place out of heat and humidity, or was kept too dry, it will be nowhere near as nice as one that was well cared for or safely stored.

I don't shake pom poms for much. Everyone has their own preferences and opinions. I like vintage soaps and if other people don't, then I figure more for me.

I am choosy though. If the packaging is rough or looks greasy or even sun faded I pass. If the soap is heavily used or questionable as to the actual brand I pass. I generally will only buy a vintage soap that is new and unused.

Most vintage soaps are tallow based. I'm talking prior 1980's soaps now. I have some Yardleys from later than that but in a general sense when I'm looking at oddball stuff like Seaforth or Tally Ho it's older than a puck of Old Spice from the late 80's.

Even Williams still had tallow up to a point in the not too distant past. Anything without a barcode though is what I get a kick out of scoring.

I like finding a gift set. Anything in a bowl I consider a score too. I have a few gift sets with matching aftershave bottles or talcs. Those are neat.

Stuff like Fougere Houbigant is absolutely hype in my opinion. The scent would be different than it was when new regardless of how well preserved it is. I would love to find an unused bowl of it. I would even be willing to pay a substantial premium for it. What I've seen them sell for though is not the level I am comfortable with though.

Considering soaps like Valobra can be had in the neighborhood of US $30 I'm not buying vintage soaps solely based on their scent or performance. There is the rarity and the desire to have an especially nice item in my collection at play.

If I'm considering picking up something like Old Spice I would rather have a brand new Volobra if the price per ounce was the same. They perform similarly well and while I like Old Spice soap, the scent isn't my favorite.

I do consider Yardley worth stepping up and above a bit to obtain a nice unopened bowl of.

Old Williams or Colgate is ok, but more of a novelty worth trying at least once. Never at a premium though in my opinion. Any that I have ever used aside from the Rose scented Williams stick have always been 100% lacking in scent. Even the menthol version. Performance is usually very good. For grating into a bowl and maybe adding in your own cologne, they are a treat though.

There are countless modern high quality soaps readily available that there is really no reason to seek out vintage soaps unless curiosity is in the drivers seat.

I've yet to try a vintage product that I felt was unmatched or unrivaled by a modern product.

Dr. Selbys is better than a lot of the most expensive soaps out there. Just goes to show that price doesn't always equal performance in everything.

9 1,407
 03-06-2016, 10:01 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
The Achilles' Heel of vintage product is obviously availability and expense. We may open the local community trade paper and see ESTATE SALE ads.
The sad truth is unless Uncle Elmer didn't use his stash of soaps from half a century ago and Nephew Ralphie didn't toss it we are at a GARAGE SALE.
You know; old National Geographics, machine made oriental rugs with pee stains from dogs and? or rare motorcycles without pink slips. Generational  
mortality is killing their 'estates'. This is a lousy time to start collecting WW1 memorabilia. My grandfather's picklehaube helmet went into a collection a long time ago. Now people are hawking old Camillus aircrew survival knives with correct dates as Vietnam collectables.
It's fun to chance upon a old soap. I managed ONE treasure in my casual hunts: a  large vintage bottle of Guerlain Imperiale. The reformulated version today
is overpriced and underperforming. I could keep it like a rare vintage of wine. But why? I don't buy Pyewacket food to put on display. When it's gone it's gone. I wont be caught in a EBAY bidding war for another.
There's just to much good stuff; future collectables out there to buy. Except, my nephews wont be throwing anything out. They did that with the STAR WARS figures now worth 100s I gave them. Facepalm

2 3,171
 03-06-2016, 10:06 AM
User Info
I really like the vintage C&E - specifically Sienna which is an infant in the vintage world. Something about the scent is amazing. Too bad it was discontinued and it left with a poor formulation which wouldn't lather.

23 656
 03-06-2016, 10:35 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(03-06-2016, 10:06 AM)Starkicker Wrote: I really like the vintage C&E - specifically Sienna which is an infant in the vintage world. Something about the scent is amazing. Too bad it was discontinued and it left with a poor formulation which wouldn't lather.

Kills me, too. I really hope they bring back the Sienna scent, especially IF they've just recently brought back good lathering and performing soaps, as rumors have it (I cannot yet confirm).

59 2,802
 03-06-2016, 11:16 AM
User Info
For me the vintage tallow-based Penhaligon's, Crabtree & Evelyn, Ralph Lauren, and Floris shaving soaps have been marvelous.  The Yardley, Williams, Colgate, Palmolive, AOS, Wrisley's, and Old Spice soaps have been good but not great.

207 12,257
 03-06-2016, 02:19 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I have some vintage C&E's, some really vintage, I have Lauren, I have been given pieces  of vintage tallow Pens, and Floris and I have Yardleys  from three different  "eras". While I love them all, the Yardleys stand out for me. They are the best soaps I have ever used. I also have MWF, C&S Oxford & Cambridge, MDC, on and on

7 2,322
 03-06-2016, 03:27 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
I have vintage Trumper, Yardley, Penhaligon's (creams and soaps), Crabtree & Evelyn (creams and soaps), AoS, Williams. They are all great. Best scents are DEFINITELY Trumper or Penhaligon's. C&E is a very strong contender for this spot as well.
Best performers are Yardley, Trumper, or Penhaligon's.
I've also used vintage Floris and Old Spice and was MAJORLY underwhelmed by both. Same with Wrisley.

59 2,802
 03-06-2016, 03:35 PM
  • Devilanche
User Info
Thanks all,

A lot more for me to read up on later. I have seaforth incoming as well. Didn't realise a few of you know about them.

10 376
 03-06-2016, 03:40 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
Unfortunately, I don't remember the last time I saw a puck of tallow Trumper or Penhaligon's for sale.

59 2,802
 03-06-2016, 04:10 PM
  • Devilanche
User Info
I pretty much blew through my March work lunch money to buy all the vintage I need so far so I guess I have to make spending cuts elsewhere.

I seen penshaligon tallow but the prices always make me hesitant plus I'm unsure how to differentiate between them yet. Haven't seen trumpers tallow even on eBay. I guess those lonely lunch could be use to read more about both and contribute to a lonely April lunch.

10 376
 03-06-2016, 04:16 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
Lonely lunches build character.

59 2,802
 03-06-2016, 04:32 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(03-06-2016, 04:10 PM)Devilanche Wrote: Haven't seen trumpers tallow even on eBay.

Hey just for fun
[Image: 051f833971376cc0dd416c8ab9320797.jpg]

59 2,802
 03-06-2016, 04:38 PM
  • Devilanche
User Info
(03-06-2016, 04:32 PM)NeroDevilanche Wrote:
(03-06-2016, 04:10 PM)Devilanche Wrote: Haven't seen trumpers tallow even on eBay.

Hey just for fun

Time to go house visiting. What scent are those ?

10 376
 03-06-2016, 05:22 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
All of 'em Smile
Violet
Coconut Oil
Almond
Limes
Rose