03-06-2016, 08:51 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I've seen many threads in BST, including my own, selling shaving items that are unused, rarely used or have used just a few times, even once or two. It's obvious that we have far too many products than we need. Some of us are trying to downsize our gear. There was a time I had 60 different shaving soaps and creams, now I have less than 35. So the question is which of them you' ve enjoyed the most, they have the most uses or you are not going to sell?

My personal choices after almost three years in traditional wet shaving and many tries are:

Nuavia soaps, I Coloniali soap, iKon Tech and B1 Slant, Mongoose B3, Steve Woodhead scuttle, Astra blades, Myrsol, Semogue brushes.

All the others can come and go.

49 1,999
 03-06-2016, 09:19 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
I had about 35 soaps at the peak in the den and realized it was getting strange (to me.)
Down to Haslinger and Czech and Speake.
Haslinger is simply the finest soap I have used.

Hardware:
Simpsons...pre Carter era and presently made Isle of Man brushes.
Rooney
Shavemac
Synthetics

1 Wolfman, Merkur Progress, Ikon 102
Super Iridium blades

The Progress gives me great shaves...my favorite out of the three.

That's it!

42 1,041
 03-06-2016, 09:32 AM
User Info
I am trying to downsize now as well. Haslinger schafmilch, SMN, and nauvia are my must haves right now. Czech and speake and saponificio varesino are on my must try lists and that's it.

I've been using the same XL muhle synthetic for the last year. And my only razors are the ATT H1 and R1. I will be trying land a wolfman razor when his list opens up.

3 58
 03-06-2016, 09:53 AM
User Info
Hardware:
Feather AS D2
Toggle
My uncle's Gillette 195 adjustable
Two of my Simpsons brushes
Black Old Spice mug form the 80's
All of my BRW razors

Software:
Yardley soap
Valobra Soap
Dr. Selby
Mikes Natural Orange, Cedarwood, and Black Pepper
Gillette Spoiler blades

Pretty much anything else in my den I would let go without feeling remorse. 
I've actively been trying to reduce my den and have found it is much easier to acquire stuff than it is to divest of it.   Blush

When I bought this stuff I usually just clicked the BUY button and then waited for the mail.
To send it off to a new home takes quite a bit more work. Mostly in the form of time that has a tangible value to me with a little one and a day job.

9 1,414
 03-06-2016, 10:09 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Mitchell's Woolfat, SdM and Mystic Waters

Alt Innsbruk

Super Iridiums

Vie-Long Badger Beehive

Merkur HD and Slant and SEYGUS

Some of these products are in need of replenishment and sorely missed

I will continue to try as able other products in hope of adding to this rather spartan assembly

2 3,171
 03-06-2016, 10:13 AM
User Info
Plisson synthetic brushes (nothing feels so luxurious)

Nuàvia soaps from PannaCrema
Barrister & Mann soaps
Bufflehead soaps (so slick)

OneBlade razor
Mongoose B1 razor

31 8,057
 03-06-2016, 10:24 AM
User Info
Brushes:  

Paladin PK-47 (2nd Batch)
Plisson Synth

Razors:

Wolfman DC Polished
Ikon #102 Slant
Muhle R89

Soaps:

SMN v.3
Valobra
ABC Hard
B&M Black Label, White Label, Latha
Mike's
MW

I have a few more soaps I'd like to try (Nuavia, SdM, SV) but I could be very happy with what I have now.  As for brushes, would love to get another Paladin and also a Varlet.  I like supporting American artisans making great things.

11 973
 03-06-2016, 12:56 PM
User Info
(03-06-2016, 08:51 AM)nikos.a Wrote:
I've seen many threads in BST, including my own, selling shaving items that are unused, rarely used or have used just a few times, even once or two. It's obvious that we have far too many products than we need. Some of us are trying to downsize our gear. There was a time I had 60 different shaving soaps and creams, now I have less than 35. So the question is which of them you' ve enjoyed the most, they have the most uses or you are not going to sell?

My personal choices after almost three years in traditional wet shaving and many tries are:

Nuavia soaps, I Coloniali soap, iKon Tech and B1 Slant, Mongoose B3, Steve Woodhead scuttle, Astra blades, Myrsol, Semogue brushes.

Nikos, I have downsized my soap and cream collection for the last 2 years  Biggrin

Since then I have gone from owning 125-150 soaps and creams to now own in excess of 250+ soaps and creams  Tongue ....... Rolleyes .....  Facepalm

But I will donate some of my least used products from my collection to 3 of my colleagues from work and 4 family members and friends, that all have started to wet shave instead of using an electrical razor.

I think I will be down to 200 soaps and cream after that donation  Smile

I can't quite name my favourite products, as the list is too long.......

But I can try to name a few.....

Soaps/croaps/creams: 

Acqua di Parma - both the old Colonia and the new version
Acca Kappa 1869 old version almond hard croap
I Coloniali Mango soap
I Coloniali rhubarb cream
Atkinson Lavender cream
O' Melhor cream
Czech & Speak 88 and O&C
Klar Seifen - all 3
Saponificio Varesino - own 5 soaps from them, all are great
Meißner Tremonia - own 14 soaps and pastes from them, all are awesome
Martin de Candre - own 2 soaps from the, great stuff
Le Pére Lucien - own 6 of his soaps, fantastic stuff
Tabula Rasa - amazing croaps
Haslinger - so cheap, yet so great a performer, own 5-6-7 pucks
T.O.B.S. - relatively cheap priced, but solid performance and great new scents, Coconut, Grapefruit, Cedarwood etc.
GFT Coconut cream
TF&H - just very nnice performing creams
St. James - wonderfull scents and great performers, for a good price. Very nice presentation
Savonniere du Moulin - perhaps the best shaving soap I have ever tried
Savon de Volcans Bon Berger - awful presentation, great great shaving soap
Baumbe.Be - fantastic cream
Antica barbierra Colla - amazing almond scented soap and cream
Boellis Panama 1924 - amazing almond scented croap
Floris 89 cream - awesome cream
Penhaligon creams - all my 4 are awesome
Castle Forbes Lime and Lavender - two fantastic croaps
Barrister & Mann - very advanced mysterious scents, great great performance
Caties Bubbles - very soft soap, amazing scents
Tabac - love this classic
Xpec - both the new and old formula are great
Esbjerg cream - also just great stuff
Musgo Real creams - own all 6, also great

Still have my two Nuavia waiting for me at home in the FedEx parcel.......expect much from them too..........

Razors

Love my Fusion handled razors - own some Mühle, Plisson, Edwin Jagger, White & Harte and soon an Acqua di Parma fusion.

My DE razors are:
Pils
Feather AS-D2
ATT - soon own all 3 handles and all 8 heads combinations
Ikon - I now own all 4 Shavecrfat heads and all 4 B1 DLC heads, they are very nice perfomers. Tech is crazy effective.
Mühle Twist - own both the R89 and the R41, love this cheaply made 2-piece razor. Ingenius design.
Plisson Palladium DE razors, effective and very nice
Merkur Futur - my only remaining adjustable DE razor.

Blades

KAI is now my overall favourite DE blade.
In my aggressive razors my favorurite blade is Personna Med Prep/Lab Blue

The best overall blade, when price is considered, is the Polsilver Super Iridium

Brushes.....

I have downsized my badger brush collection from 100+ high end badgers to now only 22, but love all 22.

Own 4 brands - Simpson, Vie Long, Shavemac and Thäter.

Current favourites are Chubby 3 Manchurian and Thäter 28 mm 2-band Silvertip bulb, but love all my badger brushes almost equally much these days.

24 5,971
 03-06-2016, 01:31 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
Brush - Simpson Chubby 2 - 2-band (2013 courtesy of Claus)  Most definitely the best combination of soft, backbone and flow through.  If there is one brush that could bring world peace, this is it.

Straight - Mastro Livi 7/8ths damascus.  That one is currently in need of a sharpening, so until then it is the Filarmonica 14.  I have 4 different 14s and the all shave differently.  One will bite you and jump around with the lightest touch.  Another will leave a harsh after shave feel but still get close.  One is NoS that I'm afraid to use, but when I did use it it just felt like it was "there" (shaved well, but it didn't leave a "WHOA!" feeling).  The final one, the silver scaled 14, feels like I can do no wrong with it.  Extremely sharp but it still is forgiving enough to trust that I can go against the grain and not expect it to bite back.  All while leaving a perfectly smooth BBS shave with little effort.

Soap - I've tried quite a few.  Nothing lathers as easily as MdC, nothing smells as good as Penhaligon's English Fern, but nothing shaves as well as good ol' Art of Shaving Tallow.  Sure, it needs a lot of water to get to that point, but once it is there there is nothing that will touch the shave ease and the post shave feel.  That and I love how it leaves the brushes with a hint of mmmmmmm scent afterward.

10 757
 03-06-2016, 01:57 PM
User Info
My razors, brushes, and soaps Biggrin

61 3,796
 03-06-2016, 02:02 PM
User Info
(03-06-2016, 12:56 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(03-06-2016, 08:51 AM)nikos.a Wrote:

Nikos, I have downsized my soap and cream collection for the last 2 years  Biggrin

Since then I have gone from owning 125-150 soaps and creams to now own in excess of 250+ soaps and creams  Tongue ....... Rolleyes .....  Facepalm

But I will donate some of my least used products from my collection to 3 of my colleagues from work and 4 family members and friends, that all have started to wet shave instead of using an electrical razor.

I think I will be down to 200 soaps and cream after that donation  Smile

I can't quite name my favourite products, as the list is too long.......

But I can try to name a few.....

Soaps/croaps/creams: 

Acqua di Parma - both the old Colonia and the new version
Acca Kappa 1869 old version almond hard croap
I Coloniali Mango soap
I Coloniali rhubarb cream
Atkinson Lavender cream
O' Melhor cream
Czech & Speak 88 and O&C
Klar Seifen - all 3
Saponificio Varesino - own 5 soaps from them, all are great
Meißner Tremonia - own 14 soaps and pastes from them, all are awesome
Martin de Candre - own 2 soaps from the, great stuff
Le Pére Lucien - own 6 of his soaps, fantastic stuff
Tabula Rasa - amazing croaps
Haslinger - so cheap, yet so great a performer, own 5-6-7 pucks
T.O.B.S. - relatively cheap priced, but solid performance and great new scents, Coconut, Grapefruit, Cedarwood etc.
St. James - wonderfull scents and great performers, for a good price. Very nice presentation
Savonniere du Moulin - perhaps the best shaving soap I have ever tried
Savon de Volcans Bon Berger - awful presentation, great great shaving soap
Baumbe.Be - fantastic cream
Antica barbierra Colla - amazing almond scented soap and cream
Boellis Panama 1924 - amazing almond scented croap
Floris 89 cream - awesome cream
Penhaligon creams - all my 4 are awesome
Castle Forbes Lime and Lavender - two fantastic croaps
Barrister & Mann - very advanced mysterious scents, great great performance
Caties Bubbles - very soft soap, amazing scents

continue shortly.....
Claus, given your extensive experience, that is a powerful statement about SdM.  When I was shopping at Planet Rasoir in Paris last fall, the proprietor hinted to me in his very understated, gallic way that it was better than MDC.  It just moved up to the top of my very short wtb list.

11 973
 03-06-2016, 02:06 PM
User Info
Oh, and Gillette Platinums remain my favorite blade.  With GSBs, Feathers and Polsilvers vying for second place.

11 973
 03-06-2016, 02:08 PM
User Info
(03-06-2016, 01:57 PM)hrfdez Wrote: My razors, brushes, and soaps Biggrin

Agreed.

I get rid of the things I don't really enjoy these days....problem is that I seem to be enjoying a LOT of stuff  Biggrin

24 5,971
 03-06-2016, 02:12 PM
User Info
(03-06-2016, 02:08 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(03-06-2016, 01:57 PM)hrfdez Wrote: My razors, brushes, and soaps Biggrin

Agreed.

I get rid of the things I don't really enjoy these days....problem is that I seem to be enjoying a LOT of stuff  Biggrin

Biggrin

61 3,796
 03-06-2016, 02:37 PM
User Info
Man there have been So many good things over the years. Maybe just a few that stand out as some of my all time fav stuff

DE Razors: Gillette all the way
Red tips, Sheratons, single ring old style short OC,  and the 40s SS and rockets just work.

Straights. Like the old English Sheffields, Greaves, J Rodgers, F Reynolds, Geo Wostenholm pipes especially a 6/8 full hollow, nice and backsassy, lets you know when your done.

Hones and strop Black Arkansas  ONLY but I have some very special stones and finished on finest Horsebutt.

Soap favs: The tallows, If Im shavin somethings gonna die.
So many good-uns but Arko, Stirling, Cella, Tabac, Barrister, Haslinger. Williams Tonsorial, Speick are the ones I really enjoy.

Blades: Never met a Russian blade I did not like.
Volkshod, GSB, blue o,clocks, Astra SS and SP, Rapira Swedish Super Steels and Rapira Platinum Luxes are some favs

Brushes: I always just used a 22-24mm Rooney,  longer handle styles keep your dang fingers out of the lather, well made, hold a butt ton of water, Last forever, awesome backbone with a shorter loft that does not splay everywhere the way I like.  And I could care less about the tips. But I only ever need 2-3 at a time is more than plenty.

Aftershave: Here is where I really have no interest. Simple cheapo barbershop bay rum, Osage rub or just plain  Dickson's witch hazel is what I use.

0 32
 03-06-2016, 03:01 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I have 6 SEs and 11 DEs. There are 2 razors I own replicas of - Red Tips (3) and GEM Featherweights (2). Love, love, love them and I'm keeping each and every one! All the rest are onesies. Of those, the only keepers are my iKon 101 and Ever-Ready 1912 with art deco handle. Great shaves!
  After gathering a solid 2 week rotation of brushes, I can pare it down to 5; my Epsilon 2 and 3 bands, Semogue 2013 Olivewood and SOC 2 band, and my new CH2 Super.
  I could be Very Happy for the rest of my days with just those razors and brushes Biggrin
   Blades - after lots of experimentation I've narrowed my DEs down to IPs, Crystals, Med Preps, Lab Blues, GSBs and 7:00 Yellows. I've only ever used GEM ptfe SEs, and I'm keeping them too...
  Of the dozen or soaps/creams I've owned, P-Red (and to a lesser extent, Green), Shannon's Nil, B&M Oceana and Unscented and MWF are my keepers so far. I've recently acquired some new soaps that remain unused and as such I  am bereft of opine.
   Almost forgot, alum! Can't give that up either Wink

7 2,159
 03-06-2016, 03:02 PM
User Info
edit Double post

0 32
 03-06-2016, 05:05 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Instead of naming my favorites,  as I was first going to do, I'll name the two things that absolutely floored  me. The two things that went the farthest over my expectations.    Personna 74 razor blades and Yardley soap. Everything else is pedestrian  in comparison.

7 2,328
 03-06-2016, 05:12 PM
User Info
I have to be honest.  I think the onE I enjoyed the most, I sold.   MdC Fougere.

90 899
 03-06-2016, 06:00 PM
User Info
^ Aww, you better get your hands on another one then man. MdC is also on my "to buy" list.

My list:

Hardware:
 ATT S1 
iKon 102
Semogue 620
Omega 10065
Personna Comfort Coated
Astra SP

Software: 
Lavanille
Tabac
Arko