03-06-2016, 02:44 PM
User Info
The past week was my first foray into the Shavette from the DE razors.  I wanted to work with the shavette prior to delving into the straight razor in the near future.  I used the Dovo and Parker shavettes last week, rotating a Dorco, Feather and Treet blades.  I did cut myself once using the Dorco blade but I think it was more of my technique as opposed to the blade.  I did get really good close shaves with these shavettes, even using my left hand!  It did take me longer using the shavette then a DE razor because I didnt want to slit my face open!  With more and more practice, I believe that I will graduate up to the straight razor and will be shaving like a pro.  Thanks to all of the great information and tips out there in the shaving & grooming section.

22 160
 03-07-2016, 06:24 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Sounds like a fun adventure. Enjoy your shaves Smile

4 1,944
 03-11-2016, 05:59 PM
User Info
I thought that  the Shavette was more difficult than a straight razor. 

You did well.

1 401
 03-11-2016, 06:13 PM
User Info
Don't wait too long try a straight razor. I just got started with a straight and it's really not that bad. Of course I'm still working on technique, but after a few shaves the apprehension fades and it's really exciting.

Glad your enjoying the shavette. I've been trying to talk myself into buying one.

6 84
 03-12-2016, 07:56 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Shavettes are fun! I have gone away from the half blade type, preferring the longer and stiffer blades. I currently own a CJB, Sam Seong, Hess EZ Shave and a Japanese Weck style razor. Skin stretching and a light touch are absolute necessities but once dialed in the shaves are closer than anything else I have experienced.

139 2,679
 03-18-2016, 11:32 AM
User Info
I found actual straight razors to be a significantly more forgiving shave than shavettes. Now that you know you can do it, I would jump in with a real one. Best of luck on your shaves

61 1,710
 03-24-2016, 06:48 PM
User Info
I have a Parker Shavette, a Thiers Issard straight, and a Feather AC that I acquired in that order.  The TI is the easiest one to use--don't be afraid to jump to a straight if you enjoy the shavette.

0 30
 03-25-2016, 06:05 AM
  • UnCL3
  • Dallas, TexUS
User Info
I've been hesitant to try straights...but find them intriguing. I get a BBS shave every time with a 3-pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG) with any of my favorite DE's as it is (in order: Fatip Piccolo, Gillette New Deluxe, Gillette New Good Will LC). After testing numerous blades, I've settled on Rapira Swedish SuperSteel blades. Great price, sharpness, comfort, and longevity (5 three-pass shaves each!).

That all being said...can anyone recommend a good sub $125 straight, and the accessories needed for a starter/n00b setup? If I do this, I hope I don't get RAD like what happened with DE's. Shok

Thanks!

3 61
 03-25-2016, 07:24 AM
User Info
(03-25-2016, 06:05 AM)UnCL3 Wrote: I've been hesitant to try straights...but find them intriguing. I get a BBS shave every time with a 3-pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG) with any of my favorite DE's as it is (in order: Fatip Piccolo, Gillette New Deluxe, Gillette New Good Will LC). After testing numerous blades, I've settled on Rapira Swedish SuperSteel blades. Great price, sharpness, comfort, and longevity (5 three-pass shaves each!).

That all being said...can anyone recommend a good sub $125 straight, and the accessories needed for a starter/n00b setup? If I do this, I hope I don't get RAD like what happened with DE's. Shok

Thanks!
Like you I am considering my first straight and looking for a good beginner set up.  Currently I am enjoying an IBC shavette and have used the Feather AC SS in the past.  I love my DE's, and my Shavettes and its time to expand my choices rather than replace them.

SRD has a nice Ralf Aust 5/8 and Strop Set that hits your price point right on the nose.  I think that's the way I am going to go but am looking forward to the advice of others as well.

6 223
 03-25-2016, 07:39 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I will one day attempt to master straight shaving.  That day will not come until there are no longer little ones running around the house and I have the extra time to also master restoration and honing.  I foresee the experience as another level of Zen, which I already enjoy with my current routine.  In the mean time these replaceable blade straights are serving me just fine.

139 2,679
 03-25-2016, 09:38 AM
  • UnCL3
  • Dallas, TexUS
User Info
(03-25-2016, 07:24 AM)Newton Wrote:
(03-25-2016, 06:05 AM)UnCL3 Wrote: I've been hesitant to try straights...but find them intriguing. I get a BBS shave every time with a 3-pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG) with any of my favorite DE's as it is (in order: Fatip Piccolo, Gillette New Deluxe, Gillette New Good Will LC). After testing numerous blades, I've settled on Rapira Swedish SuperSteel blades. Great price, sharpness, comfort, and longevity (5 three-pass shaves each!).

Thanks!
Like you I am considering my first straight and looking for a good beginner set up.  Currently I am enjoying an IBC shavette and have used the Feather AC SS in the past.  I love my DE's, and my Shavettes and its time to expand my choices rather than replace them.

SRD has a nice Ralf Aust 5/8 and Strop Set that hits your price point right on the nose.  I think that's the way I am going to go but am looking forward to the advice of others as well.

Thanks!

3 61