03-06-2016, 06:24 PM
User Info
I mainly a Rotary Corded Electric Shaver; not a rechargeable fanboy.  I have never gotten a bbs shave out of any of them 8(

Lately I have been playing around with my Vintage 1960 F3 Gillette Fat Boy Adjustable Double Edge Safety Razor that shaves very well.  I also sometimes use a whatever is on sale/cheap single/double blade disposable that was a bloody bad decision.

My beard is slow growing; but I still need to shave everyday - (Wet Shaves Lasts Longer).

My Question is about Razor Cleanup after the shave - For Straight, Shavette, DE's 2/3 piece heads vs TTO?

0 40
 03-06-2016, 06:33 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
There is a medical/first aid phrase that applies. " Dilution negates pollution". Lots of hot water rinse after every shave followed by periodic disassembly ( I like to do this when changing out blades) and a more thorough cleaning with Barbasol, white vinegar in a 25/75 hot distilled water soak or ie Katie's bubbles will keep debris from degrading performance or hosting dangerous pathogens.

2 3,171
 03-06-2016, 06:38 PM
User Info
When I was using DE/SE razors I used to thoughly rinse after avery shave with the blade out and then lightly dry, they now sit all clean and ready to go in case I ever give up straights.

6 1,339
 03-06-2016, 06:41 PM
User Info
(03-06-2016, 06:33 PM)kav Wrote: There is a medical/first aid phrase that applies. " Dilution negates pollution". Lots of hot water rinse after every shave followed by periodic disassembly ( I like to do this when changing out blades) and a more thorough cleaning with Barbasol, white vinegar in a 25/75 hot distilled water soak or ie Katie's bubbles will keep debris from degrading performance or hosting dangerous pathogens.

On shaving soaps - whatever is handy & cheap...  My sister gave my Dad some shave butter & brush gift set... but Dad didn't like it... I sure do ;}

0 40
 03-06-2016, 06:45 PM
User Info
(03-06-2016, 06:38 PM)Panther308 Wrote: When I was using DE/SE razors I used to thoughly rinse after avery shave with the blade out and then lightly dry, they now sit all clean and ready to go in case I ever give up straights.

Sometimes I have to use the bush to get the cream out of the crevasses of the TTO  8(

How dirty do Shavettes get?

0 40
 03-06-2016, 07:29 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
No matter what I use, it always gets a thorough soak/rinse/wipe. I hate soap scum buldup and do everything to prevent it. 

I have recently started to linen strop before the horsehide for my straights. There was a recent thread about a simple wipe not being enough to remove residue.

10 757
 03-06-2016, 07:37 PM
User Info
(03-06-2016, 07:29 PM)grantmm Wrote: No matter what I use, it always gets a thorough soak/rinse/wipe. I hate soap scum buldup and do everything to prevent it. 

I have recently started to linen strop before the horsehide for my straights. There was a recent thread about a simple wipe not being enough to remove residue.

Thanks for the info Wink
 I guess that depends on the soap used?

0 40
 03-06-2016, 08:07 PM
User Info
All of the above is great advice. I too take the blade out of every razor or shavette after every use and wipe dry. I use a new blade for every shave because I have so many!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 160
 03-06-2016, 08:17 PM
User Info
I dry the blades too.  If you want them to last longer, dip them in rubbing alcohol. 

Are the shavettes more of a hassle to clean over the TTO?

0 40
 03-07-2016, 01:39 AM
User Info
NO ABSOLUTELY NOT>

Bad advise here. NEVER and I repeat NEVER run your straight razor under water. Never even get it near water as the water will run down in the pivot point causing problems later  and corrosion under the scales.

You want to always keep a straight razor dry. Moisture from the lather only. This is why you see barbers wipe the lather on the back of their hand or on a towel. After you are done wipe your razor dry real good and hit it on your strop 4-5 licks to lightly heat it to remove the remaining moisture before storing and if its going to be more than a month a light coat of oil does not hurt.

Once you lose the polish on a razor or get it even lightly pitted then the upkeep gets harder to maintain. This is why 90% of the razors you see out there are pitted up junk with places for moisture to remain in: almost impossible to keep maintained where a nicely kept polished one is almost effortless in comparison

0 32
 03-07-2016, 03:20 PM
User Info
(03-07-2016, 01:39 AM)Big Whiskey Wrote: NO ABSOLUTELY NOT>

Bad advise here. NEVER and I repeat NEVER run your straight razor under water. Never even get it near water as the water will run down in the pivot point causing problems later  and corrosion under the scales.

You want to always keep a straight razor dry. Moisture from the lather only. This is why you see barbers wipe the lather on the back of their hand or on a towel. After you are done wipe your razor dry real good and hit it on your strop 4-5 licks to lightly heat it to remove the remaining moisture before storing and if its going to be more than a month a light coat of oil does not hurt.

Once you lose the polish on a razor or get it even lightly pitted then the upkeep gets harder to maintain. This is why 90% of the razors you see out there are pitted up junk with places for moisture to remain in: almost impossible to keep maintained where a nicely kept polished one is almost effortless in comparison

Run my razors under water every single time.  If I can't keep water away from the scales then I don't reckon I have enough control to use a razor.  Rinse and then dry on a towel before taking back to the face.  After the final pass I do the same and then a few strops on linen before putting it away.

1 81
 03-08-2016, 08:34 AM
User Info
Aside from the difficulty I have in getting as good a shave with the straight as with my best DEs, the hassle of keeping moisture out of the pivot, proper storage, and the time taken by stropping, upkeep, etc.  is why I only use straights on weekends if at all.  Some people like the whole ritual, and I can see why it's appealing.  But all in all the learning curve has been too steep, the shaves subpar, the risk of rust without ocd levels of care too high, and the time per shave too much for me to use straights on a daily basis.

7 84
 03-08-2016, 11:18 AM
User Info
(03-08-2016, 08:34 AM)cournot Wrote: Aside from the difficulty I have in getting as good a shave with the straight as with my best DEs, the hassle of keeping moisture out of the pivot, proper storage, and the time taken by stropping, upkeep, etc.  is why I only use straights on weekends if at all.  Some people like the whole ritual, and I can see why it's appealing.  But all in all the learning curve has been too steep, the shaves subpar, the risk of rust without ocd levels of care too high, and the time per shave too much for me to use straights on a daily basis.

Thanks for the Real World Advice!
I would need one-on-one training w/ SR's.  
I have read & watched much.  I did not see too many subpar shaves on YouTube.  I did see a guy with one pass look like it was good enough for me - I did not see any stubble.

This is where I think a Free Wet Shave Seminars would be great!  If you are a seller then you have a captive audience you just sold the idea to!   There is nothing like that I am aware of around my area.

0 40
 03-08-2016, 04:20 PM
User Info
(03-07-2016, 03:20 PM)Basilsniffer Wrote:
(03-07-2016, 01:39 AM)Big Whiskey Wrote: NO ABSOLUTELY NOT>

Run my razors under water every single time.  If I can't keep water away from the scales then I don't reckon I have enough control to use a razor.  Rinse and then dry on a towel before taking back to the face.  After the final pass I do the same and then a few strops on linen before putting it away.

They're your razors mate. I don't ever get mine wet or in water personally.

0 32
 03-08-2016, 07:51 PM
User Info
Yeah - I agree.  The only wrong thing to do is get water on the pins and scales. 

To the OP - Lynn Abrams has a good video to demonstrate what I was referring to.

1 81
 03-09-2016, 04:49 AM
User Info
Yes, in reality probably.
 I still am not putting mine under water. Thanks for the video. It was nice.

0 32