03-07-2016, 07:49 PM
User Info
So I recently started a new job that does random urinalysis drug testing.

One of my favorite shaving soaps lists "Hempseed Oil" as an ingredient (near the bottom of the list). Is there any possible way hempseed oil could make me fail, or trigger a false positive on a drug test? I've tried to google this, but the answers are all over the map.

I know the easy solution is simply use a different shave soap (and that's what I've been doing), but I guess I'm just curious now!

27 268
 03-07-2016, 08:00 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
I had the same question a few years ago and I could never get the answer pinned down.But on general principles I avoid those products along with some small batch brewery products that are made with hemp seed.I figure keeping my job will let me buy other shaving products and keep my house to store them in.lol

0 275
 03-07-2016, 08:15 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Urinalysis costs between $30 - $50. Now, I don't have that kind of crazy cash lying around, but I'd be interested to know the answer if anyone decided to perform the experiment. :-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 823
 03-07-2016, 08:47 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Doubt it.
In other words, it's highly unlikely that such an ingredient, utilized in this manner would be absorbed to a degree significant enough to appear in a screen.

102 18,552
 03-07-2016, 09:03 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Ravi, I'm sure I agree with your hypothesis. However, despite having heard similar ideas about poppy seed muffins, I can tell you as absolute fact that they can and do show up on a urinalysis. Yes, they show up in trace amounts, and anyone with any sense would know from the numbers that it's unlikely you went on an opium binge the night before. But there have been cases of not-so-smart employers seeing a nonzero amount on a drug screening and causing problems for employees or perspective employees.

I guess if I were designing an experiment, I would try to go overboard as much as possible. (Like wash myself head to toe in hempseed soap for a week.) I am reasonably certain I have never ingested marijuana before, so I would be interested in seeing if I could move the needle to a nonzero amount. And I don't work at a place where I would be in danger of being fired if that did happen, so I don't need to worry about that.

Marijuana, specifically, is notoriously tricky in drug testing. You can get enough in your system just by being at a Phish concert to show up on a drug test. (Whether or not your employer considers that a violation is entirely at the discretion of the employer.) And it stays in your system for six weeks.

So, I can say with pretty high confidence that Ravi is almost surely correct - shaving with hempseed soap probably can't give you enough of anything to show on a screening. But I am open to the idea that you could get it to show up without actually using it, if you were really trying.

22 823
 03-07-2016, 09:10 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Man, I love the Internet. This article has lots of good words. ;-)
https://www.leafly.com/news/health/does-...for-thc-or
It specifically addresses non-THC containing hemp products. The conclusion seems to be similar to what I wrote above: pretty unlikely, given normal use, but technically not impossible under extreme circumstances.

EDIT: Please note that the above article is expressly sponsored and published by a company that makes hemp seed products. Probably not super-objective, but it seems solid and informative nonetheless.

22 823
 03-07-2016, 09:17 PM
  • Devilanche
  • Singapore (CONUS post address)
User Info
(03-07-2016, 09:03 PM)chamm Wrote: But there have been cases of not-so-smart employers seeing a nonzero amount on a drug screening and causing problems for employees or perspective employees.
I think this is the biggest worry that you should have. Any amount should be minute trace but not so smart employers might not pick that up.

10 369
 03-08-2016, 04:14 AM
User Info
From a medical standpoint I feel comfortable saying the hempseed oil will not show up on a urinalysis test. In order for this to happen the hempseed oil will have to enter the blood stream in a significant amount and be filter by your kidneys then excreted through your urine. The skin is our first line of defense to shield us from the nasty pathogens in this world. Therefore the skin by nature is designed to be tough and durable.

Someone also mentioned the poppyseed bagels. That is a little bit of a different ballgame. The poppyseed would trigger a positive drug test. This is due to the poppyseed which are now being ingested into the body. The digestive system works in a way that it breaks down our food and pulls away the nutrients to nourish our body. This allowing the THC from the poppyseed to be extracted an enter the blood stream.

Going back to the Hempseed oil. Unless, your technique with a razor blade is lacking in skills and you have been butchering up your face and neck. I think your are safe. Enjoy your favorite soap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 85
 03-08-2016, 06:19 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
From what I understand, the drug test picks up the "metabolized bits of the THC that was in your system".
In that case, you would need THC in your system, but I don't believe hempseed oil has THC in it or it wouldn't be sitting on the shelf at Whole Foods (at least not very long!!).

57 2,543
 03-08-2016, 06:33 AM
User Info
For what it is worth - The DEA has this on their web site:

http://www.dea.gov/pubs/pressrel/pr100901.html

Legal Products

Based on the information currently available, DEA believes that the following “hemp” products do not cause THC to enter the human body and are therefore legalproducts:

- bird seed mixture containing sterilized cannabis seeds and other ingredients
- clothing, including hats, shirts, and shoes
- cosmetics
- lotion
- paper
- rope, twine, yarn
- shampoo
- soap

4 465
 03-08-2016, 10:03 AM
User Info
Perhaps we need a trained chemist/biochemist to chime in. The mention of DEA believing something does not preclude the employer to interpret a screen any way they choose. Stay employed, shave well too.

36 886
 03-08-2016, 12:35 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
A Mormon missionary stumbling into  a Greatfull Dead concert will have a greater  readout than any soap.

2 3,171
 03-08-2016, 12:38 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I drove through Denver over the weekend however I kept the windows raised.

59 4,381
 03-08-2016, 02:03 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(03-08-2016, 12:38 PM)eengler Wrote: I drove through Denver over the weekend however I kept the windows raised.

Laughing1

102 18,552
 03-08-2016, 02:05 PM
User Info
(03-08-2016, 12:35 PM)kav Wrote: A Mormon missionary stumbling into  a Greatfull Dead concert will have a greater  readout than any soap.

Pancarta

17 1,297
 03-12-2016, 05:32 PM
User Info
considering that the thc is in the leaves and you have to either smoke or eat it, i would say no.  putting hemp oil on your skin will not make you fail a drug test.  if you get high from the soap then maybe...

0 134