03-07-2016, 08:20 PM
User Info
New Gold Dollar vs Antique Shop Straight Razor - The owner sound like he knows how to make 'em shave ready?
I know just enough to get burned either way...  I think I want one?  I also like the idea of never buying razor blades again ;}

There maybe a problem - my beard is slow growing?

0 40
 03-07-2016, 10:08 PM
User Info
There is nothing wrong with Gold Dollar razors, I started with one. The problem lies within the geometry of the razor, they need help and there are those out there that can make them looks beautiful and properly honed they do a fantastic job, I gave mine away awhile back or I would have gladly gave it to you.

You could look up Larry at Whipped Dog and get a Site unseen ST8 with a poormans strop for little $$ and be good to go.

6 1,258
 03-07-2016, 10:37 PM
User Info
(03-07-2016, 10:08 PM)Panther308 Wrote: There is nothing wrong with Gold Dollar razors, I started with one. The problem lies within the geometry of the razor, they need help and there are those out there that can make them looks beautiful and properly honed they do a fantastic job, I gave mine away awhile back or I would have gladly gave it to you.

You could look up Larry at Whipped Dog and get a Site unseen ST8 with a poormans strop for little $$ and be good to go.

Are SR good for sensitive skin?

I start to feel the burn on my 1960 F3 Gillette Fat Boy Adjustable when set around 5...

0 40
 03-08-2016, 05:08 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Congratulations on venturing into straights!

Do not trust an antique store owner to hone a straight to shave ready.

Without seeing the specific antique store razor there is no answer. 

The Gold Dollar is not anywhere near shave ready from the factory. It will require 'corrective honing' before it will take a proper edge over the entire edge. They are not fun to shave with, JMO. But they will shave well.

There are several vendors that sell shave ready razors including Gold Dollars. I'm not sure if I can post these, so PM me and I'll send you some established names.

As far as being easy on sensitive skin, the answer is 'Yes, it is the best IMO but....".  The razor must be properly honed, and you must have decent technique. A dull razor will cause you to use to much pressure or pull and the shave will be uncomfortable. Beginners also have a learning curve; if the razor is used at too high an angle or with too much pressure, it will cause irritation. Shaving technique has to be learned, but hey, at one time everyone did it.

If you get a razor that doesn't require too much corrective honing, I'll be glad to hone it for you.

Cheers, Steve

7 469
 03-08-2016, 11:57 AM
User Info
(03-08-2016, 05:08 AM)Steve56 Wrote: Congratulations on venturing into straights!

Do not trust an antique store owner to hone a straight to shave ready.

Without seeing the specific antique store razor there is no answer. 

The Gold Dollar is not anywhere near shave ready from the factory. It will require 'corrective honing' before it will take a proper edge over the entire edge. They are not fun to shave with, JMO. But they will shave well.

There are several vendors that sell shave ready razors including Gold Dollars. I'm not sure if I can post these, so PM me and I'll send you some established names.

As far as being easy on sensitive skin, the answer is 'Yes, it is the best IMO but....".  The razor must be properly honed, and you must have decent technique. A dull razor will cause you to use to much pressure or pull and the shave will be uncomfortable. Beginners also have a learning curve; if the razor is used at too high an angle or with too much pressure, it will cause irritation. Shaving technique has to be learned, but hey, at one time everyone did it.

If you get a razor that doesn't require too much corrective honing, I'll be glad to hone it for you.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks for the advice 8)

Ever use a Shavette style razor?
I did make a makeshift one with curved hemostat plires and de blade - it worked! After 2 passes I stopped while I was ahead Wink

0 40
 03-08-2016, 02:24 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Never used a shavette. Folks who do ise them say that you must use absolutely no pressure and a higher angle than a conventional straight or you will suffer! If you explore this option, read up from those that know better than I. Many people like them and swear by them though.

Cheers, Steve

7 469
 03-08-2016, 05:16 PM
User Info
I have no problem with the antique guy if he also shaves and hones.  Now to the question at hand.  What is the razor you are looking at from the antique store?  I really would buy quality otherwise your first experience may be your last.  I would look to the classifieds where people sell quality German or even a nice Thiers for less than new to start out. 

Now others will disagree I am sure but lets face the bottom line here, you get what you pay for and we are talking cold sharp, very sharp surgical like steel against your neck!  Just my voice here for you to ponder.

If I were you I would start with a Ralf Aust German made 5/8 round toe with the acrylic scales for $103 and if you dislike straights, then sell it for like $75 and not be out of much.  That razor is hands down one of the best for the money to be had.

Here is the exact razor I am speaking of that I also have and it is without a doubt the most consistent shaver I have, and by far the cheapest!

Ralf Aust 5/8

0 413
 03-08-2016, 06:21 PM
User Info
Thanks for the advice on the Ralf Aust German made 5/8 round toe! 
Just found out stropping with your hand and newsprint today when I looking at Kamisori razors.  I have always used ceramic sticks & wet stones for sharping a knife blade. 

I still on the fence at this point...

0 40
 03-11-2016, 10:41 AM
User Info
I have a Wapienica if you are looking for something cheaper to start with, PM if interested.

Best regards,

Paul

1 157
 03-12-2016, 02:02 PM
User Info
(03-08-2016, 06:21 PM)easttexas Wrote: Thanks for the advice on the Ralf Aust German made 5/8 round toe! 
Just found out stropping with your hand and newsprint today when I looking at Kamisori razors.  I have always used ceramic sticks & wet stones for sharping a knife blade. 

I still on the fence at this point...

A kami is a whole different animal compared to a regular ST8, you can use either side to your face but traditionally you only keep Omote side (non stamped) to your face and the Ura side out. makes shaving alittle challenging but can be done also honing a kami the traditional way is an off sideed stroke count, I have used 7:1 some use 10:1,5:1 etc...

Honing a regular straight takes skill that can only be obtained by either having someone teach you or teach yourself, I have bee honing for almost a year and still learn new things all the time and jusr when I think I have it down I fall back a few steps on that one stubborn razor but you learn from setbacks like that but you don't have to hone to use a straight just get one properly honed and maintain the edge with correct stropping and it should carry you several months and then you can either send it off to be touched up of purchase a small coti bout or similar finisher for very little and keep the edge going for a very, very long time by doing light passes on water only.

6 1,258
 03-16-2016, 03:54 PM
  • Slawman
  • St. Joseph, Illinois
User Info
I would spend the money to get the lower line Dovo or a similar razor. Heck go over to SRP & see what people have for sale. you might find a great vintage razor for not much$$ that IS shave ready. You will also need a good strop. When I started with straight's I had worked with knives & blades in general for years but a straight razor is a different animal. You can learn lot's here and at all the other forums. If you can find a mentor close to you to teach you to strop & later hone if you want all the better. I am active over at S R P & they have lot's of great info for the beginner as I am sure we have here. Being as I just joined today I don't know all the   resources here.
 Best to you, Dave Huffman

0 17