03-08-2016, 06:12 AM
User Info
Recently the TSE posted a video on his top 6 Sandalwood soaps. It made me think about the scent.

A number of years ago I had a business trip to India and while there I purchased a wood carving that was made of Sandalwood – it has a very distinct scent that you can’t mistake.

I use a soap made by the Good Earth Spa that is Sandalwood and the lady that makes the soap puts flecks of Sandalwood in the soap and it has the same scent as the carving.

Enter all the other Sandalwood soaps.  One of the first soaps I bought was the Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood shaving soap expecting the wood scent.  Instead it wasn’t anything like the scent I get from the actual wood.  My wife got me the Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood shaving cream that I used today – great performance but smells similar to Tayor’s soap. 

So the question is this – What am I missing when it comes to Sandalwood?  Seems to be two camps – one – the actual wood scent and – two – a more flowery scent that doesn’t smell anything like the wood.

Does anyone else notice this?

4 465
 03-08-2016, 06:26 AM
User Info
I have noticed the same thing.  The vintage C&E Mysore sandalwood soap seemed more "woody" to me than the modern cream or soap, which have for me very sweet, perfumey scents.  Also somewhat sweet but less so are the discontinued Floris Santal shaving cream and the Creed Santal shaving soap.  And even less sweet - or perhaps just weaker in scent in general - is the D.R. Harris sandalwood shaving soap.  I actually like some of the sweet sandalwood scents quite a lot, but they don't resemble the freshly cut sandalwood that I have smelled.

206 12,189
 03-08-2016, 06:32 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I used to follow TSE on YouTube for a long time but I unsubscribed when I watched some videos that were a little disrespectful or that had no relation to wet shaving. Again, this is my opinion. The point is that I have not seen the video you're talking about.

During the last couple of years, I have bought many sandalwood scented products and I was lucky enough to smell many others. To me, the best widely available sandalwood and not discontinued, that is very close to the real sandalwood EO is the Proraso Red. For example, the T&H and ToOBs Sandalwood creams are not even close to real Sandalwood. The same with D.R Harris soap, while the lotion is a lot better. 

But, when we're talking about scents we must consider that most of the opinions are subjective.

49 1,940
 03-08-2016, 07:17 AM
User Info
If you look for real sandalwood, the best and most natural smelling sandalwood I have in my cream/soap collection is the AOS Sandalwood cream.

I also love the DR Harris Sandalwood, both the soap and cream and the after shave, I own them all.

One of the best cheapest sandalwood soaps and creams out there is the Proraso Red, both the cream and the soap performs very well and smells quite natural of an earthy sandalwood.

Among the more cologne like sandalwoods, you find the Truefitt & Hill and the TOBS, I own both, but they have very little to do with sandalwood.

The Cold River Soap Works sandalwood soap scent is also quite good IMHO.

Regarding TSE, I unsubbed when he made that video comparing the new Acqua di parma cream with the RazoRock XxX soap, not knowing that the XxX RazoRock was a copy of the old Acuqa di Parma Colonia croap, which has a totally different scent than the new Acqua di Parma cream. I made a comment about that, but he neither replied nor made the changes to his misleading video, which was really more a waste of cyber space than anything else.
I also disliked his video, where he throws a Musgo Real cream in the sink in a disrespectful manner.

I also have problems with guys doing shaving videos, having to proof and show their stubbles time after time........when in reality he has very little stubble.
The same with Buster - he has little to none stubbles, and it can be removed with just about any electric shaver.

I find it hard to take shaving advice from Gents with baby soft like stubbles........but that's just me  Smile

24 5,842
 03-08-2016, 07:29 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(03-08-2016, 07:17 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I also have problems with guys doing shaving videos, having to proof and show their stubbles time after time........when in reality he ver very little stubble.
The same with Buster - he has little to none stubbles, and it can be removed with just about any electric shaver.

I find it hard to take shaving advice from Gents with baby soft like stubbles........but that's just me  Smile

Claus my friend, I couldn't agree more. Finally, someone tells it!!! Clap

I had this type of baby soft beard when I was 13 years old. To remove those hairs you don't even need to use water, such soft they are. I really can't understand why some gentlemen take into account these people's advices.

49 1,940
 03-08-2016, 08:01 AM
User Info
I think your observation is true of nearly all scents not just Sandalwood. Each manufacturer/artisan has their take on a particular scent and it is different from the offerings of everyone else.  My personal favorite Sandalwood is Art of Shaving Sandalwood. That being said I don't personally find it to be all that close to real sandalwood smell either.

73 2,196
 03-08-2016, 10:20 AM
User Info
Claus, I don't mind that you share your comments about youtube videos and who makes them as I am sometimes scratching my head with what gets posted. But if you could do me a favor and not call Michael "Buster". His last name is Bustamonte and thats why in short, he is "Busta."

I guess it is a bit funny that they don't have much to shave off, but the fact is they like to shave, yes on video. But can you fault them for having a lack of beard?

79 1,296
 03-08-2016, 10:47 AM
User Info
(03-08-2016, 10:20 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Claus, I don't mind that you share your comments about youtube videos and who makes them as I am sometimes scratching my head with what gets posted. But if you could do me a favor and not call Michael "Buster". His last name is Bustamonte and thats why in short, he is "Busta."

I guess it is a bit funny that they don't have much to shave off, but the fact is they like to shave, yes on video. But can you fault them for having a lack of beard?

Okay, sorry - thought he was Buster on YouTube Tongue

I can't fault them for enjoying shaving and a lack of beard, but when they do shaving video's, it's just kind of funny to see them review razors, I can't help it, but IT IS funny  Biggrin

It's like watching Youtube videos with a man without a driving license, reviewing cars and how well the manual gearshift reacts and the engine feels  Biggrin

24 5,842
 03-08-2016, 10:55 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
No, you can't fault anyone for having little or nothing to shave. But, people who have a thick beard can't rely on the advices of people who don't have much or nothing to shave. There are many differences from face to face. I don't usually agree with many of what they say and I'm sure that most of the people who have a thick beard don't. For example, people like him, they'll find almost every soap to be great. I'm persuaded that they find it very difficult to detect any differences between the soaps and the creams or the aggressiveness of the razors. I had the same problem when I was little boy, everything seemed to be exactly the same. Their shaves are always fantastic and of course it's very easy for them to recommend products and their shaving techniques. In contrast, people like me, who have a thick beard, usually have to give a lot of tries and buy many products to find the soap that gives them the perfect shave. These are some reasons why I stopped watching their videos a long time ago. I don't give any attention to what they say, because we have a totally different view on the wet shaving.

49 1,940
 03-08-2016, 11:04 AM
User Info
I don't really watch these videos, but sometimes they are entertaining.  I'm my own person, so videos like these ones will never persuade me one way or the other, but that's me.

61 3,796
 03-08-2016, 11:07 AM
User Info
(03-08-2016, 10:55 AM)nikos.a Wrote: No, you can't fault anyone for having little or nothing to shave. But, people who have a thick beard can't rely on the advices of people who don't have much or nothing to shave. There are many differences from face to face. I don't usually agree with many of what they say and I'm sure that most of the people who have a thick beard don't. For example, people like him, they'll find almost every soap to be great. I'm persuaded that they find it very difficult to detect any differences between the soaps and the creams or the aggressiveness of the razors. I had the same problem when I was little boy, everything seemed to be exactly the same. Their shaves are always fantastic and of course it's very easy for them to recommend products and their shaving techniques. In contrast, people like me, who have a thick beard, usually have to give a lot of tries and buy many products to find the soap that gives them the perfect shave. These are some reasons why I stopped watching their videos a long time ago. I don't give any attention to what they say, because we have a totally different view on the wet shaving.

Agree 100% I'm not gonna knock the guys for liking their hobbies. However I have a thick coarse beard that some soaps just wnot protect my face. Also going over say my chin one stroke per pass,not only would it not feel smooth but you would still see stubble regardless of what blade or razor I use.

Busta made the argument that because he has what I call a "summer beard" he had to shave often because it doesn't look good if you can see stubble on his face. I get that and more power to him. I do have a chuckle when he uses an r41 or feather blades though.

Those Guys are just enthusiastic about shaving . For me though if I want to look at a product review I look for someone with a beard type similar to mine. Like Anthony or the stallion  (don't want to butcher his last name) Again TSE and Busta seem to be enjoying what they are doing and they have a lot if followers , I just cant relate to them. Lots of people can though and I'm sure they help a lot of people.

0 127
 03-08-2016, 11:34 AM
User Info
I didn't mean to derail the thread. On topic though....

I would recommend this video online that talks about "attars" and explains the history of them. It talks about the use of sandalwood oil as a base as it is very suitable for the skin and real sandalwood oil should be some of the best oil available in the world to lots of faces and the variety of needs to different skin types. Not sure if I should share the link here in the thread or privately via pm. It is a nice slideshow talk that is about an hour and very informative.

This is why I am not too fond of the TOBS type creams with super strong perfumey, crawl up your nose scents. Doesn't mean someone cant have an allergy to real sandalwood oil, but I find that some of these are bad attempts to make a cheaper alternative to something that is quite different to mimic the real stuff. I like sandalwood, but its like menthol soaps. I am not one to seek them out too frequently. I don't mind when they mix it with other scents to make it sweeter but I dont care so much for a real dry or overly pungent if it isn't pleasant or balanced.

79 1,296
 03-08-2016, 11:57 AM
User Info
(03-08-2016, 11:34 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: I didn't mean to derail the thread. On topic though....

I knew when I mention the video it would cause a stir and thought about deleting that line. Undecided     I only mentioned it because I saw it and it made me finally ask the question about Sandalwood.

I really like the traditional wood scent but have't found it yet in any of the so-called sandalwood products.

Claus and others gave some recommendations that I will have to try.

4 465
 03-08-2016, 12:22 PM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
(03-08-2016, 07:29 AM)nikos.a Wrote:
(03-08-2016, 07:17 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I also have problems with guys doing shaving videos, having to proof and show their stubbles time after time........when in reality he ver very little stubble.

Claus my friend, I couldn't agree more. Finally, someone tells it!!! Clap

I had this type of baby soft beard when I was 13 years old. To remove those hairs you don't even need to use water, such soft they are. I really can't understand why some gentlemen take into account these people's advices.
This comment about Busta's stubble is very funny.  At some point it crossed my mind, and yes, some shaving videos can be annoying. This is truly a YMMV thing, but we still need to be a little objective.

17 405
 03-08-2016, 12:23 PM
User Info
I'm a big Sandalwood fan, I was disappointing by TSE saying that his #1 Sandalwood scent was TOBS which to me smells like plain old soap musty soap.

The best Sandalwood scent i've used is Caties Bubbles Santal Sensuelle. My cousin came back from Mysore, India with a couple of strips of Sandalwood and the Caties Bubbles is very, very close, albeit much more subtle.

It's a great scent and soap.

22 653
 03-08-2016, 12:30 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
True sandalwood is now heavily regulated and EXPENSIVE. There are countless interpretations of  ERSATZ 'sandalwood'. A true sandalwood is Mystic Waters in soap and Meehans sandalwood in cologne.

2 3,171
 03-08-2016, 12:32 PM
User Info
(03-08-2016, 08:01 AM)merkur man Wrote: I think your observation is true of nearly all scents not just Sandalwood. Each manufacturer/artisan has their take on a particular scent and it is different from the offerings of everyone else.  My personal favorite Sandalwood is Art of Shaving Sandalwood. That being said I don't personally find it to be all that close to real sandalwood smell either.

Nathan, is it any difference between AoS Sandalwood made in Italy before P&G took over and current one?
thanks

1 31
 03-08-2016, 12:43 PM
User Info
(03-08-2016, 12:30 PM)kav Wrote: True sandalwood is now heavily regulated and EXPENSIVE. There are countless interpretations of  ERSATZ 'sandalwood'. A true sandalwood is Mystic Waters in soap and Meehans sandalwood in cologne.

I haven't tried it myself but I think the QCS Mysore Sandalwood uses sandalwood/sandalwood essential oils in their shaving cream.

22 653
 03-08-2016, 12:52 PM
User Info
(03-08-2016, 12:30 PM)kav Wrote: True sandalwood is now heavily regulated and EXPENSIVE. There are countless interpretations of  ERSATZ 'sandalwood'. A true sandalwood is Mystic Waters in soap and Meehans sandalwood in cologne.

Thank you, this is helpful. I have sampled this and so I can say I have a baseline for comparison.

38 1,159
 03-08-2016, 01:40 PM
User Info
If I could find a shaving soap that smell like Meehan.....

61 3,796