03-08-2016, 11:52 AM
User Info
We started a small discussion in the Sandalwood thread today about things we do and don't like on youtube shaving videos. This thread is not meant to strt pimping any channels or bashing anyone. But I have some similar comments to Claus and Nikos in regards to what we see a lack of. I have a heavy beard and am a badger buy. Not a ton of guys who make videos with luxury badger brushes and sport a nice aggressive DE razor. Doesn't mean that you can't find that on youtube, but to me, a large percent of videos is new-newish guys using a large variety of soaps with synthetic brushes showing up a lot.

I enjoy seeing people use the same gear that I like. Not to reinforce that I have good taste in shaving but to see what someone else experiences with what I like. One of my favorite soaps was used by a youtuber and they had a horrible experience with it and ended PIFing it. I was fine seeing someone have a different take on something that works for me. 

I have suggested to many getting away from "reviews" and first impressions. I find it can be unfair to post a first video and if you did something that wasn't the way to use the product, then that may get a bad wrap because we want to do a video on a test drive of a soap.

What is youtube missing in regards to shaving videos?

79 1,339
 03-08-2016, 12:16 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Less of them.
Shave instead of watching a youtube personality.
Guaranteed your shaves will improve.

42 1,041
 03-08-2016, 12:23 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(03-08-2016, 12:16 PM)VTMAX Wrote: Less of them.

+1. Just shave. Folks should figure out what works best for them and compare notes with others after they've developed some solid, repeatable technique.

7 2,159
 03-08-2016, 12:44 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
There is a good variety of how to videos for new shavers so that's covered. I do like seeing short product videos with opinions being optional. For instance a new razor close up assembled and reassembled with a blade installed. Just basic details.

59 4,503
 03-08-2016, 12:53 PM
User Info
Reviewing a product? Have input or advice you think others might find useful? Show it to me and talk about it. You don't need to use it on camera really.

Unless it's some radically new concept or innovation, I don't need to see someone lather and shave while they tell me their thoughts.

I rarely watch YouTube to be honest.

In the past I did check out one or two tutorials. After that it just seemed odd to me to try and listen to someone's opinion while they're goofing around trying not to cut themselves or fumble their words.

While there's value for the beginner to observe a pro, there's so many people on YouTube giving their advice that it may do more harm than good to turn there as a resource when starting out in wet shaving.

Uploading a video to YouTube does not an expert make.

9 1,414
 03-08-2016, 12:58 PM
User Info
(03-08-2016, 12:44 PM)eengler Wrote: There is a good variety of how to videos for new shavers so that's covered. I do like seeing short product videos with opinions being optional. For instance a new razor close up assembled and reassembled with a blade installed. Just basic details.
+1
Also some of these guys are shaving off what looks like 5-6 hour stubble. I prefer to see several days worth of growth mowed down.

9 202
 03-08-2016, 01:03 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(03-08-2016, 12:16 PM)VTMAX Wrote: Less of them.

Agreed.

102 18,652
 03-08-2016, 01:08 PM
User Info
"What do forum members want on youtube?"  

Women.

90 899
 03-08-2016, 01:19 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Zac, as you said, you already know my opinion on this matter.

Kevin pointed out something that's on mind from the first time I watched some shaving videos on Youtube. How many times a day these guys shave? Probably, they shave off- camera 3-4 hours before and then decide to shave again to make a video showing how to shave with a product, when they are already clean shaven. Well, this is annoying and a little stupid to me, no offence. Also, another reason that I don't watch their videos is because they start reviewing with thanks to the artisan vendor that sent them these products because he needs some feedback... How a reviewer can be objective and honest when the reviewing products are gifts of the artisans? It's in the human's nature to be kind and most of the times subjective with people who give them gifts or they're friends with. I think we all agree on that.

49 1,999
 03-08-2016, 01:43 PM
User Info
Part of the reason why I can't suffer a YouTube shaving video is because my inner dialogue is always screaming, "you're doing it wrong." Or, "that's not right."

Even though my rational brain knows everyone's different and their's no "wrong" way to do it.

Sometimes I suppose I should try to be more open minded. 

That and I also don't care to see someone knick themselves.

I'm not squeamish though. I think I've just been Rick rolled too many times. Part of me half expects something will go sideways and there's no disclaimer.

9 1,414
 03-08-2016, 01:55 PM
User Info
Technique. 
For example, making good lather with boar. The only useful videos on that that I've seen are by traditional barbers (mostly Italian). Other than that I only see bbq mops spreading soap-sauce. 
Technique and experience sharing makes a huge difference and produce better results. For that, video is an excellent tool.

8 1,129
 03-08-2016, 01:59 PM
User Info
I don't really find a problem with shaving videos, but I take their opinions with a grain of salt most times. Sometimes I may have trouble with a certain soap and seeing how one of the YouTubers lathers up the soap is helpful.

3 58
 03-08-2016, 04:16 PM
User Info
I like the honest comparisons of razor types.

Sometimes a cheap razor can be a real keeper like Weishi TTO & Lord L5/L6 for some.

0 40
 03-08-2016, 04:21 PM
User Info
Entertainment, that's all.

61 3,796
 03-08-2016, 04:30 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I usually watch YouTube when I want to learn how to do something new, or occasionally for music and laughs.  I can't bring myself to watch shaving on YouTube any longer.  Mantic was great when I was getting started, but watching a guy shave now is a) boring as heck, b) a little uncomfortable (watching another dude in the bathroom ain't exactly normal), c) frustrating as most don't have nearly the amount of experience to be teaching others in the first place.  I realize that if I was just starting out that I would probably still appreciate those videos, but with the vast selection of YouTubers doing shaving videos I would probably get lost and frustrated with all the contradictory advice. 

I think a fresh take on YouTube videos would be on reviewing individual items outside of the bathroom.  Vintage/modern razors, brushes, strops, hones, etc.  Bring them to the kitchen table and teach viewers how to identify, what to look out for and why certain items are special/different.   That would earn a few views from me, but then again the person doing this should really know their stuff.

145 2,752
 03-09-2016, 07:21 PM
User Info
they were to fun to watch at first when i initially got into DE shaving, but now it got a little old so i only watch vids that interest me, i.e new razor, new brush, etc, etc.

53 760
 03-09-2016, 10:58 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I don't subscribe to youtube shave channels but do watch some from time to time when I'm interested in a particular product. I'm more focused on the product review and fast forward through the shaving so I don't really care or notice technique or anything. Reviews are pretty subjective whether written or video.

2 517
 03-10-2016, 05:54 AM
User Info
(03-09-2016, 07:21 PM)parachutefactory Wrote: they were to fun to watch at first when i initially got into DE shaving, but now it got a little old so i only watch vids that interest me, i.e new razor, new brush, etc, etc.

+1
Now, over two years later, I have no interest in shaving videos.

39 3,920
 03-10-2016, 01:01 PM
User Info
I still watch the occasional video, but what I'm looking for is a lot different than when I first started.  I agree, that it's nice to see people use things you enjoy and see what their opinions are.  I also like to see what others think of new products.  I don't really put any stock in anything anyone says about scents.  That's just too individual.  But I will pay attention to their opinions on performance.  I find it particularly helpful when they make direct comparisons to other products that I might know something about.  But it is nice when they've used the product a few times prior to sharing their opinions.

I like the way The Clean Shaver started running his videos with the picture in picture.  That way you can see him actually shaving with the items in the background, without sitting through the entire shave and having the audio constantly interrupted by the shave.  

As a head shaver, our needs are just a little bit different from others, so I pay a little more attention to the head shavers.

1 297
 03-10-2016, 07:59 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
(03-08-2016, 12:58 PM)KevinD Wrote: +1
Also some of these guys are shaving off what looks like 5-6 hour stubble. I prefer to see several days worth of growth mowed down.

How else are they supposed to get all of their free products on camera? 3 videos per day, that's how!

10 757