03-08-2016, 10:01 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Above The Tie Slant Solid Bar Safety Razor (S1)

[Image: cAF9Dc7.png]

[Image: b3JpIT1.png]

The razor is crafted from solid 303 stainless steel and made in the USA.

The finish pales in comparison to the Wolfman, with obvious machine marks.

The head is a touch bulky compared to the Wolfman, making it a little cumbersome under the nose.

However, the shave is supremely comfortable. I even had to check a few times that it was actually cutting!

[Image: enr3oeL.png]
[Image: QMUwujX.png]
Featuring a 0.61 mm blade gap this razor is definitely not aggressive, but is still efficient. 

The shave is not as close as the Blackbird, but like the Blackbird it provides absolutely zero irritation.

I found myself favouring the end with the greater blade exposure, which made shaving under the nose more finicky than the Blackbird or Wolfman.

The S1 reminded me of the Fearther AS-D1 and D2 in terms of supreme comfort, but with one major difference - it actually removed stubble.

[Image: DtImZeX.png]

[Image: EMzFC5d.png]

I have an S2 on the way and if it is slightly more aggressive and still as smooth, I'll be very, very happy indeed. 

As it stands the S1 disappointed a little on appearance, but provided a surprisingly pleasing shave. 

I guess James' craftsmanship and Shane's polishing are to blame while Stan's design is to be praised!

The Atlas handle I ordered with the S1 failed to impress. I found it too short and the knurling too rough.

Instead I paired the S1 with a stainless steel 15mm diameter UFO handle. 

The shave benefited from the heavier handle and the S1 has a new best friend.

I've own all the slants from Merkur and iKon as well as the German Bakelite NOS that everyone was trying to get their hands on a few years ago.

If you are keen to try a slant I couldn't currently recommend a better one than the ATT S1.

[Image: i8bTlPP.png]

[Image: 1t4ZvjV.png]

99 18,011
 03-08-2016, 10:11 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
Really great review and photos.  I went with the longer ATT Kronos handle and really like it.  Thumbs up for the S1!

Eric

46 932
 03-08-2016, 10:20 PM
User Info
Good review Ben. Excellent pics as usual! The S1 remains in my current rotation. I agree with your observations and do plan on polishing both my S1 heads myself...Shane did an amazing job with my razor and now I'm spoiled.

0 650
 03-08-2016, 11:28 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Thank-you Eric and Sameer. I hope to add my thoughts on the S2 soon.

99 18,011
 03-09-2016, 02:41 AM
User Info
Nice write up and classy pictures Ben!  I have never tried a slant before and it may be the time for me to finally get one.  The Blackbird has resurrected my confidence in the DE again.

5 160
 03-09-2016, 06:58 AM
User Info
S1 and S2 still my two favorite razors in the entire world.  Worth every penny.

1 468
 03-09-2016, 07:54 AM
User Info
Awesome pictures and review.

I have never used the S1, however the S2 is my go to razor since I purchased it a year ago.  Nothing so far has bumped it from the #1 spot : )

ATT ROCKS !

6 223
 03-09-2016, 08:09 AM
User Info
Very nice review Ben.  This was my very first stainless steel set.

61 3,796
 03-09-2016, 08:17 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
The S1 is a great razor. I must say I do prefer a satin or finely machined finish like ATT offers. The other stainless offerings may be prettier to look at, but they are much more finicky to keep up with the high mirror polish. I take very good care of my gear, but even the most gentle use with mirror polish stuff always ends up with fine scuffs and swirls.

143 1,983
 03-09-2016, 08:59 AM
User Info
After reading this post im very tempted to test a S1.

Will resume my history and you guys can get some help.

I was in wet shave 1 year and few months. Tested many DE including R89, 34C, 37C, ATT M1, AS-D2... I cant have 100% good shaves with it. Tested many blades. I think after a year is not technique related.

I have a sensitive skin (too easy to have nicks) and a more sensitive neck with lying hairs and changes of directions. I shave day yes day no, cant shave every day.

The Oneblade is the only that get me very good shaves now.

I am tempted to buy the S1 and test if it can shave me good. Will be a good idea or no?

Thanks

Enviado desde mi iPhone 6s utilizando Tapatalk

3 1,039
 03-09-2016, 11:03 AM
User Info
(03-09-2016, 08:59 AM)jfim88 Wrote: After reading this post im very tempted to test a S1.

I was in wet shave 1 year and few months. Tested many DE including R89, 34C, 37C, ATT M1, AS-D2... I cant have 100% good shaves with it. Tested many blades. I think after a year is not technique related.

I have a sensitive skin (too easy to have nicks) and a more sensitive neck with lying hairs and changes of directions. I shave day yes day no, cant shave every day.

I am tempted to buy the S1 and test if it can shave me good. Will be a good idea or no?

Thanks

It was love at first shave for me honestly.  There is a 30 day money back guarantee so if after 10 shaves or so you hate it, you could send it back.

1 468
 03-09-2016, 12:27 PM
User Info
(03-09-2016, 11:03 AM)SCShaver Wrote:
(03-09-2016, 08:59 AM)jfim88 Wrote: After reading this post im very tempted to test a S1.

Thanks

It was love at first shave for me honestly.  There is a 30 day money back guarantee so if after 10 shaves or so you hate it, you could send it back.

I bought here in Spain from Gifts&Care.

3 1,039
 03-09-2016, 12:34 PM
User Info
Very nice review, thanks for sharing !

Lorenzo.

29 1,084
 03-09-2016, 02:00 PM
User Info
Crazy but true - I don't even own a Wolfman yet, but from pictures and every owners comments, all other razors, with the exception of perhaps the Feather As-D2 and the Pils, pretty much pales in comparison to a Wolfman, even the ATT razors - finish and craftsmanship wise.

I'll empty my bank account, once James is ready for me - I might buy 5-6 razor heads in different finishes and OC & SB, and at least 4 handles in the same order.
I might even ask for permit to make a prepayment for the Slant head, he might make in the not so distant future  Biggrin

Until that, I'll have to get by with my ugly raw not so smooth looking ATT's, Ikon's & Mühle/Ewin Jagger/Merkur razors.

I do own the Feather and the Pils, and they are my nicest stainless steel razors appearance wise right now, just in front of my ATT razors.

The nicest looking non stainless steel razors I own are now my 2 Plisson Palladium DE razors.

24 5,843
 03-11-2016, 03:52 AM
User Info
Wow Claus those are some serious razors in your den, awesome man.

When my turn comes, I could probably afford only two Wolfman's at best and both in stainless. I'm tempted to try the Titanium but it may be way out of my budget.

10 1,131
 03-11-2016, 05:29 AM
User Info
I have the ATT Kronos S2 Open Comb Slant and it's one of my best shaving razors!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 160
 03-12-2016, 04:17 AM
User Info
I recall a poll not too long ago on de razors...maybe time for a new poll? ATT would be at the top but would it have enough delegate votes for nomination? I love my M1 yey have some serious RAD after seeing these photos.

36 886
 03-12-2016, 08:45 AM
User Info
First shave with my new S1 was lovely! Simply perfect BBS without effort and withouth irritation nicks.... I think best shave from a DE i have obtained.

Hope following are equal!

Seems that this S1 will recover my confidence in DE.

3 1,039
 03-12-2016, 08:55 AM
User Info
Hmm, maybe I should get me another S1 head.  I have about seven UFO handles that could make this puppy shine Biggrin

61 3,796
 03-12-2016, 11:47 AM
User Info
I have an S2 looking to trade for a H1 razor head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 160