03-09-2016, 12:25 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
All of a sudden, I have the itch to try synthetics. So I ordered two different ones that I think I may like, at least to get a sense of synthetics.

- Edwin Jagger Large Silvertip Fiber Shaving Brush in Faux Horn
- Plisson synthetic fiber (just the cheapest one with ivory acetate handle)... Not the L'Occitane Cade, but the one from the Plisson website

How do you rate these among synthetics? (Mainly interested in comments regarding the knot and hair, not so much the handles)

62 3,004
 03-09-2016, 01:14 PM
  • P911
  • Brighton, UK
User Info
Plisson is superb and my go to brush.

Instagram: close.shave

0 18
 03-09-2016, 02:16 PM
User Info
I now find the Mühle/Edwin Jagger fibres too springy for my taste.

I do consider getting the Edwin Jagger XL 25 mm Synthetic (I have owned and sold it 3 times, because I'm a nut case and highle fickle minded person, that can change taste and opinion in 24 hours)
BUT BUT BUT

It's only because I have added the bowl into my shaves now. I bowl lather from time to time during the week, when I have the extra time needed for it.

Still face lather for first pass and for my head shave, but after that find that a bowl lather for subsequent passes is more easy on my skin.....
My badgers are not purchased woth bowl lathering in mind, and I tend to be a little more rough, when I bowl lather and would like to spare my expensive high end badgers, so just bought 4 synthetics and 6 boars to do the hard work for me in the bowl - I will just scrub away with these brushes, not caring so much about them, as they are cheap.

I have sold all the Plisson synthetics I have owne,d have owned 6-8 Plisson synthetics. They work okay, but just too small for my taste and too floppy.
Now use my Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic as my travel brush - it's pretty good, still a bit rough to get to splay.

My favoruite synthetics are still with the same Plisson like fibre hair, but with a larger knot and more backbone.

I have Xl hands and actually enjoy the KONG 26 mm handle.

My favourite synthetics are these at the moment - they are the best I have tried so far in the synthetic world:

Sterling KONG 26 mm Plisson like fibre, but far more density and backbone
Crownking faux ivory 25 mm, lower loft, Plisson like fibre, but far more density and backbone
Crownking faux horn 26 mm, higher loft, Plisson like fibre, but far more density and backbone

They work just as well for the bowl as for face lathering.

I now mainly use my badgers for the face latering, thy are just so luxurious in feel and performance.
But the synthetics with the Plisson knot, but more density and backbone, are also pretty nice with their almost unfeelable touch on your skin.

24 6,018
 03-09-2016, 04:01 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Good to know, thanks Claus!
I was considering the CH2 synthetic but didn't want it as my first as I feared about the splay.
Have you tried any of the RR Plissoft brushes?

62 3,004
 03-09-2016, 04:19 PM
User Info
I haven't yet tried any of the 24 mm Plisson-style synths, which include the RR Plissofts, Maggard, Shave Evolution, and Fine Stout.  

But I have the Stirling Kong and the original L'Occitane Plisson.

I used the Kong this morning and in a bowl or on the face, it makes lather faster and easier than any other brush I've used.  If you have large hands and/or don't mind a big handle, it's awesome.  However, I'm thinking I'd prefer the barber handle on the RR or SE.  Only consideration is the loft.  I think the higher relative loft on these synths is desirable because it doesn't affect their ability to generate lather and it helps them release it easily.  My understanding from another post is that the loft on the Maggard 24 mm brush and the SE brush is higher than the RR 24 mm brushes.   Just my 2 cents.  You can't really go wrong with any of these brushes.

11 972
 03-09-2016, 04:22 PM
User Info
The plisson synths are so efficient in making lather that if you bowl lather, even the smaller original knot will whip up more than you need for 3 passes. 

But if you face lather, it would be better to go for the 24 or 26 mm knots to make sure it holds enough.  I'm thinking the Maggard may be the best all around.

11 972
 03-09-2016, 04:28 PM
User Info
(03-09-2016, 04:01 PM)Nero Wrote: Good to know, thanks Claus!
I was considering the CH2 synthetic but didn't want it as my first as I feared about the splay.

I have what I think is the original RR Plissoft which I really like.  
I just got today the 22mm disruptor.   I don't like the handle.   It is the same great fibers but I jus tdont like the handle that I'm going to throw it on the BST

90 904
 03-09-2016, 05:16 PM
User Info
Why not the RR Plissoft or Maggard's synth? $10 is a low risk bet IMO, and I love my 24mm Maggard's synth.

16 1,027
 03-09-2016, 05:28 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(03-09-2016, 05:16 PM)crazindndude Wrote: Why not the RR Plissoft or Maggard's synth? $10 is a low risk bet IMO, and I love my 24mm Maggard's synth.

I do want to try the RR original, but not currently in stock.
Any word on when they might be available again?

62 3,004
 03-09-2016, 06:39 PM
User Info
The EJ and Plisson are excellent brushes.  I tried numerous synthetics in 2014 and 2015.  For me, the Chubby 2 is the best synthetic. It doesn't splay a lot, but it doesn't have to in order to work well.  My synthetic collection now consists of three brushes - two Chubby 2's and one Muhle XL.

50 6,414
 03-09-2016, 06:57 PM
User Info
The Plissoft Barber is a good latherer that's soft on the face, but right now the Muhle STF XL is performing even better. The springiness that comes with this fibre is mitigated to a large extent by the larger knot, which doesn't have any trouble splaying, either. And it doesn't take much effort to generate heaping gobs of degenerate lather with this thing. I have two of them in different custom handles and see them softening up and "blooming" more as they break in. Color me surprised.

29 1,776
 03-10-2016, 02:40 AM
User Info

No, have yet to try a RazoRock brush.

Not sure if I ever will, I hear they come with scratches on the handles, but people accept that for the price you pay.
I don't, so I won't buy them  Wink

24 6,018
 03-10-2016, 03:11 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Nero, my go to are the Rooney gel-tips from some years ago, a couple M&F's, a bunch of Simpsons Super & Manchurians old and new, Thater and the newer Shavemac 2-bands.

I have no bias one way or another about the vendor who sells these brushes. I used one of their shaving soaps once and done. No interest there.

The Plissofts are better brushes to me than those listed above.  The lather is perfect every time and I find it creamier and fuller if that makes sense. When I go back to the high end badgers I miss the Plissofts.

I have collected these badgers over 20 years, still love them, might buy a few in the future but, if I'm being honest, for pure performance every day the Plissoft wins out.

42 1,041
 03-10-2016, 06:11 AM
User Info
(03-10-2016, 02:40 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:

No, have yet to try a RazoRock brush.

Not sure if I ever will, I hear they come with scratches on the handles, but people accept that for the price you pay.
I don't, so I won't buy them  Wink

You could also have the knot transplanted in a handle of choice, it is more hassle but it is an option.

11 435
 03-10-2016, 09:14 AM
User Info
(03-10-2016, 03:11 AM)VTMAX Wrote: Nero, my go to are the Rooney gel-tips from some years ago, a couple M&F's, a bunch of Simpsons Super & Manchurians old and new, Thater and the newer Shavemac 2-bands.

I have no bias one way or another about the vendor who sells these brushes. I used one of their shaving soaps once and done. No interest there.

The Plissofts are better brushes to me than those listed above.  The lather is perfect every time and I find it creamier and fuller if that makes sense. When I go back to the high end badgers I miss the Plissofts.

I have collected these badgers over 20 years, still love them, might buy a few in the future but, if I'm being honest, for pure performance every day the Plissoft wins out.

Do you face lather or bowl lather ?

24 6,018
 03-10-2016, 09:43 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
 03-10-2016, 10:01 AM
User Info
disclaimers: ymmv, face latherer - actually start building in the scuttle first
Love my 4 synthetics:
Muhle HJM (my March madness brush) (lots of splay)
Muhle 39k257 (shortest, scrubbiest)
Stirling Little Brudder (medium splay)
Rodney Neep synthetic (lots of splay)

Why:
1) they dry fast
2) they work nicely for me as "face latherers" - I like small scrubby yet they have splay too.
3) great lather. (yes I know, surprising.)
4) they clean up well
5) bristles never go "bad" at least not in 2 years, so far so good

Special comment:
39k is especially short and if you like scrubby, well I recommend.

36 909
 03-10-2016, 12:20 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(03-10-2016, 10:01 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: disclaimers: ymmv, face latherer - actually start building in the scuttle first
Love my 4 synthetics:
Muhle HJM (my March madness brush) (lots of splay)
Muhle 39k257 (shortest, scrubbiest)
Stirling Little Brudder (medium splay)
Rodney Neep synthetic (lots of splay)

Why:
1) they dry fast
2) they work nicely for me as "face latherers" - I like small scrubby yet they have splay too.
3) great lather. (yes I know, surprising.)
4) they clean up well
5) bristles never go "bad" at least not in 2 years, so far so good

Special comment:
39k is especially short and if you like scrubby, well I recommend.

Thanks for your insights, Jack!  Glad to hear they work well for face lathering, as I do that for 19.5 of 20 shaves.
I'll keep these brushes in mind as I venture out in the future.  

Thanks to everyone, it is hard to keep up sometimes with all the great advice, so if I haven't said so yet: Thank You Each and All

62 3,004
 03-11-2016, 11:38 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
The EJ showed up today. I can say without even wetting it that it has the softest, most scritchless tips of anything I've ever touched.
Quite beautiful for a no-soul Smile
[Image: e3f719553cf800e6635240692e91b044.jpg]

62 3,004
 03-11-2016, 03:18 PM
User Info
(03-11-2016, 11:38 AM)Nero Wrote: The EJ showed up today. I can say without even wetting it that it has the softest, most scritchless tips of anything I've ever touched.
Quite beautiful for a no-soul Smile
[Image: e3f719553cf800e6635240692e91b044.jpg]

It does feel soft, when dry.
For me the problem with it was that it just feels too stout.
I like badger backbone in my brushes, and this EJ XL at first made me feel like it tried to be a badger, but the backbone from it just feels stout and almost too much of the good stuff. LIke you get the entire brush stuffed in your face at the same time. A badger only makes you feel the tips. This EJ XL made me feel like the whole set of synthetic hair pressed against my face.

I ended up disliking it for that reason. I have bought it twice to give it a new chance, but sold it again twice.

24 6,018