03-09-2016, 03:23 PM
User Info
If you could only have one brand of soap, or soap from one artisan, which would it be? 

Would you pick one with a broad range of scents, say like Catie's Bubbles or would you go for strictly performance, like ABC, SDM, or MdC?

And... Why?

For me LPL. For me, it's my top performer, and there is enough scents that I would not get bored.

2 328
 03-09-2016, 03:33 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Well, I'm using it for the whole year. Haslinger.  Like you there are enough scents, and unique ones at that, to ward off boredom. I also like that the scents are softer and muted. Size of the pucks are great for one soap in one month. Grate two into an IKEA tin and make some shave sticks. I could go on and on! Smile

42 1,041
 03-09-2016, 03:41 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I do not like these SOPHIE'S CHOICE polls. I have a short list of soaps favored after trying many others. Each one is unique and irreplaceable; MWF, SdM Mystic Waters and as always the next grand discovery.

2 3,171
 03-09-2016, 03:50 PM
User Info
Its a tough decision, but I would choose Reef Point soaps.  The scents, the lather, and the feeling I get after a great shave are why I choose Reef Point Soaps!

22 160
 03-09-2016, 04:05 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(03-09-2016, 03:41 PM)kav Wrote: I do not like these SOPHIE'S CHOICE polls. I have a short list of soaps favored after trying many others. Each one is unique and irreplaceable; MWF, SdM Mystic Waters and as always the next grand discovery.

Agreed.

102 18,649
 03-09-2016, 05:28 PM
User Info
Currently Mystic Waters because of the top performance and range of scents.

4 642
 03-09-2016, 06:22 PM
User Info
CRSW.  I have seven of their soaps right now.

50 6,057
 03-09-2016, 06:33 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
MdC for me. Performance 

ABC is a close second also performance

T&H a distant third on scent

7 450
 03-09-2016, 06:42 PM
User Info
I would say Mystic Waters. I love their scents and the performance is great. The only possible downside is that I have to load it twice as long as some of my other soaps, MW hates my hard water! But that will only ensure that I get to try more of their scents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 315
 03-10-2016, 02:29 AM
User Info
Mike's Natural - it works great, and the range of scents appeals to me Smile

3 4,482
 03-10-2016, 02:51 AM
User Info
Hard one, since I have yet to test Mike's Natural and Mystic Waters, but I would pick:

Tabula Rasa
Barrister & Mann
Le Pere Lucien
Cold River Soap Works Select
Saponificio Varesino
Meißner Tremonia
Savon de Volcans Bon Berger
Savonniere du Moulin
Martin de Candre
Xpec
Antica Barbierra Colla
Boellis Panama 1942
Czech & Speak
Klar Seifen
Haslinger
St. James
Esbjerg
Truefitt & Hill
T.O.B.S.
Musgo Real

If Savonniere du Moulin made more than one soap, or Savon de Volcans Bon Berger had a better presentation, they would be NUMERO UNO !

In that order.....THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE  Tongue

Still have yet to test my newly acquired Nuavia duo though  Smile

24 5,965
 03-10-2016, 05:03 AM
User Info
Right now, based solely on the amount of scents I've acquired from them, I would pick Reef Point.  My second would be Soap Commander, but I haven't found as many scents from them that I enjoy as Reef Point.  Reef Point for me has excellent performance, great post shave feel, nice prices and again, I think I have 7 or 8 soaps from them which I like considerably. I considered Tabac, but I'd like some variety which I would get with Reef Point, Soap Commander or even DR Harris if we are talking about sticking to one brand.

1 468
 03-10-2016, 05:58 AM
User Info
Czech and speake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

115 1,005
 03-10-2016, 09:52 AM
User Info
In the movie 'Trading Places" with Eddie Murphy, dinner is the meal offered and the question is: "Lobster or cracked crab" (I think) anyway...the answer is why not both?
Too many soaps, too little time...I am participating in March madness and am already itching to use my relegated orphan soaps. I think they miss me too.
On another angle, like wives, one is enough. Way back when when soaps were not plentiful I am sure my grandpa had 1 soap and 1 soap only. I guess we are very lucky to live in a time where many offerings are quite nice. So, in closing...I see both sides - one or many, everyone is right and lucky too.

36 892
 03-10-2016, 11:18 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(03-10-2016, 02:51 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Hard one, since I have yet to test Mike's Natural and Mystic Waters, but I would pick:

Tabula Rasa
Barrister & Mann
Le Pere Lucien
Cold River Soap Works Select
Saponificio Varesino
Meißner Tremonia
Savon de Volcans Bon Berger
Savonniere du Moulin
Martin de Candre
Xpec
Antica Barbierra Colla
Boellis Panama 1942
Czech & Speak
Klar Seifen
Haslinger
St. James
Esbjerg
Truefitt & Hill
T.O.B.S.
Musgo Real

If Savonniere du Moulin made more than one soap, or Savon de Volcans Bon Berger had a better presentation, they would be NUMERO UNO !

In that order.....THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE  Tongue

Still have yet to test my newly acquired Nuavia duo though  Smile

I'm glad you could narrow it down to one, Claus  Laughing1

168 1,377
 03-10-2016, 08:04 PM
User Info
Haslinger Schafmilch

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

1 103
 03-11-2016, 01:14 AM
User Info
(03-09-2016, 03:41 PM)kav Wrote: I do not like these SOPHIE'S CHOICE polls. I have a short list of soaps favored after trying many others. Each one is unique and irreplaceable; MWF, SdM Mystic Waters and as always the next grand discovery.

I have to disagree. Choosing 1 or a short list of few favored products gives a general idea what the very best products are for the greatest number of people. 

When I started shopping for soaps just recently, for example, I was overwhelmed, and it was polls like these that helped me choose my first selections. I would have never gotten to where I was otherwise, spending much more time and money on sub-par soaps and maybe never finding the highest quality.

In the spirit of the poll, if I had to choose only one... Presently it would have to be PannaCrema Nuàvia Blu. It really does act like a pre shave and after shave, the scent is unique and classy, it preformes amazing, and is one of the most luxurious feeling lathers.

Time and experience may change this top preference, but that's what it is for now.

2 308
 03-11-2016, 09:35 AM
User Info
CRSW Select V2

1 135
 03-11-2016, 11:27 AM
User Info
Haslinger for me

1 31
 03-11-2016, 11:59 AM
User Info
Difficult. I wouldn't say tie but Mystic Water and Mike's are easily said to be excellent performers. Mikes is on the simpler side with scents but very strong and pleasant. Mystic Waters have some really nice scents, wide variety, and just have to figure out the best lathering techniques.

But down to the nitty gritty, I stick with B&M and SV. Interesting scents, easy performance, and matching aftershaves. These are my most used soaps brands because I enjoy using them, but more importantly because they work for my skin and needs in a shave soap.

79 1,338