07-20-2012, 12:58 PM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
What is your prosedure when getting a used razor? How do you clean/disinfect the razor? Are there anything you have to take acount for when disinfecting a razor (plastic, bakelite etc.. Boiling VS alcohol)?

I just bought a Schick G-type with a blade in it. Should I remove it before cleaning/disinfecting it, or will it be hard to place a new blade in it?

7 858
 07-20-2012, 01:18 PM
User Info
for metal razors i soak and scrub in dawn detergent and water for 10min. scrub with toothbrush. soak in barbicide for 10min (proper water ratio) and then repeat a few times.

if i have scrubbing bubbles, i use that too, but be careful on painted numbers etc, as it will remove it.

before i had barbicide, i did the 70% alcohol dip instead of the barbicide.

i don't boil any of them and this mentod is for metal razors. i don't have any plastic, bakelite or gold razors, so the process may be different for those.

when i cleaned my krona after getting it, i just did the barbicide/alcohol soak on the head. i did scrubbing bubbles, dawn and water on the plastic parts.

as always, you will have various other people offer methods. do which you feel safest doing and most comfortable with to get all the old germs and bacteria off it.

YES, take the blade out.

8 2,718
 07-20-2012, 01:26 PM
User Info
The problem here is that with injectors, it is extremely difficult to remove the blade without inserting a new blade (or damaging the razor). And if you insert a new one, you might be trapping germs and other gunk in the razor with the new blade. So I too am curious about how to disinfect an injector type.

184 12,002
 07-20-2012, 01:32 PM
User Info
is there a way to partial put in a new blade, and then pull the old one out with some pliers, grasping the blade?

8 2,718
 07-20-2012, 01:37 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(07-20-2012, 01:32 PM)brucered Wrote: is there a way to partial put in a new blade, and then pull the old one out with some pliers, grasping the blade?

This is very good way to remove an injector blade. Also I always use Scrubbing Bubbles. Great stuff and will not harm the razor.

100 12,440
 07-20-2012, 07:59 PM
User Info
Recently an adjustable made a tour and I know it was cleaned before being sent around. I was the #2 gent that it visited.

I soaked it in 130°F water with the industrial detergent I use and got all sorts of additional gunk out of the head. It wasn't that it hadn't been cleaned it's just that the detergent makes a huge difference.

It's not inexpensive, but so little is used that it works out to being inexpensive in the long run. I use Planisol-M. Just Google it. The first one or 2 hits will be an outfit that sells it by the pound. I use at most 1 teaspoon (level) per soak, and that soak can hold a lot of razors.

IMO, Planisol-M works so nicely for this that I'd pay the fee to order it from abroad. If they don't want to ship it to Norway let me know and I'll sell some of my stash for what they sell it for.

I put the razor with plastic parts in the hot water soak and just leave it alone until it's cool, or even longer. After agitation in the soak, a little brushing with an old toothbrush generally completes it. Sometimes I'll blow compressed air through the mechanism if it doesn't come apart readily. If the razor has all metal parts I'm not opposed to using a boiling solution for a time and then a cool down.

Another possibility would be using a Water-Pik as a sort of pressure washer after the soak, but I haven't tried that yet.

32 6,309
 07-21-2012, 12:29 PM
User Info
Dettol liquid is a great antiseptic.

5 273
 07-21-2012, 06:02 PM
User Info
a good soak in hot water, vinegar and baking soda, then scrub with a natural soap and toothbrush. Works fine.
Removing that blade from the injector is just like it is stated, above.

75 20,883
 07-21-2012, 06:23 PM
User Info
A 70% alcohol dip is generally enough to kill anything other than spores. However, a run in the top rack of the dishwasher shouldn't harm the razor, unless it is all plastic. But it should still survive the cycle.

Honestly though, nothing survives on a dry metal surface after a few days. Tetanus is probably the worst that can live for long. I'm not concerned about used shaving supplies carrying disease.

9 2,988