03-10-2016, 01:39 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I recently got a brush from Wolf Whiskers with a 24mm Nathan Clark Envy White 2-band knot which has a 25mm x 52mm measurement and I'm super impressed with this brush!

The brush is just as nice as any of the brushes in my den, which says A LOT! I love the Shavemac SiLVERTiP brushes and this one is on par with those...super soft tips, but plenty of backbone in a knot that releases lather and is a pleasure to use.

My grail brush was a M&F style 1 size 2 that I had purchased in 2007 and to tell the truth this brush has transplanted it! I face lather using primarily Chiseled Face soaps and this brush performs amazingly well. I have several from Rudy with the Shavemac knots, but the one I have been reaching for lately has been this specific brush.

Here are a couple of pics to show it off...pics don't do it justice, at all.

[Image: a2bb7dad577ff2aca5c9701770b71d2f.jpg]

[Image: d1e900d3188177b0c272a708dee9e6bb.jpg]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

74 1,512
 03-10-2016, 02:01 PM
User Info
Matt,

I'm loving the Envy White knot I have in a brush as well.

Just got my third one delivered today and Nate sent me a tracking number on a complete brush this morning.

Sent one knot to Doug Korn and plan on putting the last one into a restore.

It's the sweet spot of softness and backbone I'd been looking for.

I have a Simpsons Manchurian on the way, but it'll need to "hit hard" to knock my brush with an Envy White out of first place for me.

9 1,412
 03-10-2016, 04:36 PM
User Info
Killer brush, mine says hiSmile. Same knot as you have and I agree, it's one of the best I've ever had. Enjoy your brush!

[Image: 975917822776b861b14bf3512ae7cedf.jpg]

55 923
 03-10-2016, 04:54 PM
User Info
The NC Envy white is one of the best knots on the market for sure. Love mine. You can get it in Fan, but you have to get a request in

0 517
 03-10-2016, 05:03 PM
User Info
Man that's awesome and a great knot too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 130
 03-10-2016, 08:12 PM
User Info
Beautiful brushes.  Those Envy White knots have been getting great reviews.

50 6,099
 03-10-2016, 09:55 PM
User Info
How do these knots compare to Simpson SilverTip?

13 775
 03-11-2016, 04:23 PM
User Info
The price, handle, lather and shave are better with Nathan's brushes!

22 160
 03-12-2016, 05:14 AM
User Info
(03-11-2016, 04:23 PM)rodzilla1126 Wrote: The price, handle, lather and shave are better with Nathan's brushes!

Thank you. Any comments regarding hair characteristics? Softness, Backbone, flow through...?

13 775
 03-12-2016, 07:43 AM
User Info
Compared to a Simpson Chubby 2 Nathan's brushes are softer, and just as dense. I have a synthetic from him as well. I use a fan shaped which lathered quickly using bowl or face. I would contact Nathan and ask him about the brushes or check out his YouTube videos. He is very responsive, and can make you a custom handle. This is what separates him from the other brands!

22 160
 03-12-2016, 09:21 AM
User Info
That's awesome, I'll make sure to look him up. I am all for American vendors like him and Aldo who make quality products, at competitive prices and easy to reach and talk to.
I also prefer fan knots to bulbs, almost strictly face lather too

13 775
 03-12-2016, 09:33 PM
User Info
snowman Wrote:Thank you. Any comments regarding hair characteristics? Softness, Backbone, flow through...?

I find them to have very soft tips, nice backbone but not like Simpson Manchurian or Epsilon 2 band, and EXCELLENT flow through. To me they are very dense, but that helps the flow through, and that's ok. I like mine for my softer soaps and creams, where a stiffer, more dense brush would rip through and use/waste too much product.

55 923
 03-13-2016, 07:26 AM
User Info
(03-12-2016, 09:33 PM)buickrob Wrote:
snowman Wrote:Thank you. Any comments regarding hair characteristics? Softness, Backbone, flow through...?

I find them to have very soft tips, nice backbone but not like Simpson Manchurian or Epsilon 2 band, and EXCELLENT flow through. To me they are very dense, but that helps the flow through, and that's ok. I like mine for my softer soaps and creams, where a stiffer, more dense brush would rip through and use/waste too much product.

That's actually perfect for me because I don't particularly care for strong backbone. Softness is much more important for me as well as flow through. Will have to give this a shot and will report back here... Thanks for the help!

13 775
 03-13-2016, 08:02 AM
User Info
snowman Wrote:That's actually perfect for me because I don't particularly care for strong backbone. Softness is much more important for me as well as flow through. Will have to give this a shot and will report back here... Thanks for the help!

Awesome. I think a 24mm Envy White would be absolutely perfect for you!

55 923
 03-13-2016, 08:18 AM
User Info
That's exactly what I am going to do Smile

13 775
 03-13-2016, 08:20 AM
User Info
Everyone talks about the softness of this knot, but I gotta say, the particular knot i got months and months ago is particularly scrubby and has incredible backbone. 

Heres mine

[Image: qlqJveO.jpg]

0 517
 03-18-2016, 10:19 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I wouldn't claim that the Nathan Clark Envy White is particularly better than one brand of brush or another, but I would say that it can stand on it's own merits.  We have to remember that almost all badger hair comes from China, so it stands to reason that almost anyone who buys hair from China could potentially make a knot worthy of any other manufacturer or brand.  What I'd like to instill is that if you like a soft face experience with a good amount of backbone then you will likely enjoy a Nathan Clark Envy White 2-band knot...of course there are some other factors that go into that, right?  Knot diameter and loft are the biggest factors.  I tend to like the 2 to 1 ratio or something close.  The brush I show in the OP is a 25mm knot, but at the opening it is around 26-27mm, and the loft is around 52mm.   I can't feel a glue bump of more than 2mm, so that is almost dead on at 2 to 1 ratio for width to loft.  My brush is almost perfect for my face.  I do slightly prefer a little more scrub, but besides the Shavemac and Simpson higher end brushes you probably won't find that to any degree of certainty with Nathan's knots.  BUT you also won't pay nearly as much for a brush as you would from a higher end brush-maker.  Sometimes quantity outweighs quality...I like all sorts of brushes, and for what my Simpson TSN M6 cost I could buy 2-3 brushes with Nathan's knots.  There is trade-off in everything, but in my case the trade-off is worth it.

74 1,512
 03-18-2016, 10:21 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
(03-13-2016, 08:20 AM)DamnitGoose Wrote: Everyone talks about the softness of this knot, but I gotta say, the particular knot i got months and months ago is particularly scrubby and has incredible backbone. 

Heres mine

[Image: qlqJveO.jpg]

That's a gorgeous handle!  I'd be interested in that handle color for sure!

74 1,512
 03-19-2016, 06:41 AM
User Info
(03-18-2016, 10:19 PM)Crag Wrote: I wouldn't claim that the Nathan Clark Envy White is particularly better than one brand of brush or another, but I would say that it can stand on it's own merits.  We have to remember that almost all badger hair comes from China, so it stands to reason that almost anyone who buys hair from China could potentially make a knot worthy of any other manufacturer or brand.  What I'd like to instill is that if you like a soft face experience with a good amount of backbone then you will likely enjoy a Nathan Clark Envy White 2-band knot...of course there are some other factors that go into that, right?  Knot diameter and loft are the biggest factors.  I tend to like the 2 to 1 ratio or something close.  The brush I show in the OP is a 25mm knot, but at the opening it is around 26-27mm, and the loft is around 52mm.   I can't feel a glue bump of more than 2mm, so that is almost dead on at 2 to 1 ratio for width to loft.  My brush is almost perfect for my face.  I do slightly prefer a little more scrub, but besides the Shavemac and Simpson higher end brushes you probably won't find that to any degree of certainty with Nathan's knots.  BUT you also won't pay nearly as much for a brush as you would from a higher end brush-maker.  Sometimes quantity outweighs quality...I like all sorts of brushes, and for what my Simpson TSN M6 cost I could buy 2-3 brushes with Nathan's knots.  There is trade-off in everything, but in my case the trade-off is worth it.

Nice insight. Looking forward to getting one of these.
What's the trade off? The lack of a bit of scrub?

13 775
 03-19-2016, 09:08 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
The only tradeoff for me between the Envy White and Simpson Manchurian or Shavemac 2-band SiLVERTiP is the tiny lack of scrub at the tips. The hair itself in those two varieties seems to have been sorted for like characteristics within each batch to make the hair more stiff, if that makes sense. The Manchurian being the stiffest next to Shavemac 2-band SiLVERTiP then the Envy White.

I like them all, and so for me the quantity (more brushes for the same money) against Simpson is what I aim for. With Shavemac 2-band SiLVERTiP I can get a brush custom made by Rudy for a little more than a Wolf Whiskers, so they are about the same. But from Shavemac direct the quantity becomes almost the same as with Simpson, about 2 for 1. I have a Simpson Chubby 2, and a Limited TSN M6, but for what I spent on those I could have had at least 5 Nathan Clark's with very similar quality hair.

That's my take on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

74 1,512