03-11-2016, 05:48 AM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
Hope someone can shed some light on my latest shaving experience.....recently purchased a Feather Popular DE razor (read some good reviews about this razor and for $15 was hard to pass up--worst case scenario is it goes into the garbage after it's first shave) to add to my "collection" of DE razors Smile In the past I also owned the Feather Stainless Steel and after a month or two of just "so-so" shaves decided to sell it.....here's my question....I've experienced two amazing shaves with Feather Popular and not sure if that's a result of the blade exposure or the Astra Superior Platinum blade.  Must confess that until this razor arrived, my go-to choices were Merkur 34c, Merkur Future, RazorRock slant, Icon slant---usually with a feather blade (or occasionally with a Personna Blue)---nothing but nothing feels as smooth on my face or gives a better shave than the Popular/Astra combo....I never owned Astra blades until they were shipped with the razor----so again is it the blade; the razor or a combination of both---just to be a bit more clear----when I shave with the above combo---it feels like the razor is only removing the shaving cream/soap and not the whiskers---the first pass feels good, the second is even better and the third pass (not that I need it with this razor--but I'm a creature of habit) feels amazing.  Also, my pre-shave routine is the same so the only change in the equation is the razor and blade.  SORRY FOR DRONING ON BUT THIS IS A MYSTERY TO ME.....thanks for any and all comments.

128 562
 03-11-2016, 07:43 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Do you mean the Feather Popular in the nice plastic case or am I missing something here?

49 1,999
 03-11-2016, 08:09 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Sounds like you've found that special (and some say, mystical) combination of razor and blade. If it works for you, it's a beautiful thing. Enjoy your shaves!

7 2,159
 03-11-2016, 08:55 AM
User Info
when it works like you said it is magical. enjoy it and buy a back up or two

73 1,297
 03-11-2016, 10:21 AM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
(03-11-2016, 07:43 AM)nikos.a Wrote:
Do you mean the Feather Popular in the nice plastic case or am I missing something here?

Yes...sorry for typo...it's the Feather Popular in the plastic case.

128 562
 03-11-2016, 10:24 AM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
(03-11-2016, 08:55 AM)daveinsweethome Wrote: when it works like you said it is magical.  enjoy it and buy a back up or two
Yes...will do!

128 562
 03-11-2016, 11:16 AM
User Info
No mystery here.  You've just found the razor/blade combination that works best for you.  Don't over analyze this.  That combination  just works for you.   As an added bonus, both the Feather and Astra are reasonably priced.  Get a backup razor and stock up on the Astras.

50 6,106
 03-11-2016, 12:55 PM
User Info
Sounds like you need to buy 100 of the Astras so you can try them in all your other razors.  Then you'll know for sure.

1 297
 03-12-2016, 05:25 AM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
So took the advice of several members and purchased a backup to my Feather Popular last evening plus ordered a 100 count of Astra SP blades...since I'm new to the Astra blade, I decided to also try it with my Razorock Jaws open comb...the results are in.....this is now my go-to blade.....smooth as butter!

128 562
 03-22-2016, 02:21 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
The Astra SPs are a workhorse in my den. They work really well with every DE I own, from my R41 to my Lady Gillette. Mild to wild, they just work!
Congrats! I think you will find that Astra will be good in anything you put it in. MHO.

2 1,683
 03-23-2016, 08:53 AM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
(03-22-2016, 02:21 PM)SRNewb Wrote: The Astra SPs are a workhorse in my den. They work really well with every DE I own, from my R41 to my Lady Gillette. Mild to wild, they just work!
Congrats! I think you will find that Astra will be good in anything you put it in. MHO.
Yes...I've now used them in 5 other razors and they work like a charm.

128 562
 03-23-2016, 02:15 PM
User Info
Astra super platinum are one of my favorite blades. And the price is fantastic too.

I find the feather popular to be a bit more aggressive than you'd expect, but the Astra SP does help smooth it out.

18 654
 03-23-2016, 04:31 PM
User Info
I recently bought the Razorock heavy duty from Italian Barber.  With it came a pack of Astra Platinum.  Now in the past I had tried Astra Platinums and just never got a very good shave and had a lot of nicks.  This being said I decided to try them again.  Much to my surprise I have gotten one of the best shaves I have ever gotten over the last four days.  I am to the point where I don't know when I will be using a different combination.  I think sometimes it is that magical combination.  I can't believe it took a $20 razor and one of the more inexpensive blades to get the job done.

0 94
 03-24-2016, 04:23 AM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
(03-23-2016, 04:31 PM)LVshvnNow Wrote: I recently bought the Razorock heavy duty from Italian Barber.  With it came a pack of Astra Platinum.  Now in the past I had tried Astra Platinums and just never got a very good shave and had a lot of nicks.  This being said I decided to try them again.  Much to my surprise I have gotten one of the best shaves I have ever gotten over the last four days.  I am to the point where I don't know when I will be using a different combination.  I think sometimes it is that magical combination.  I can't believe it took a $20 razor and one of the more inexpensive blades to get the job done.

I too used the Astra SP with a $20 Razorock Jaws.....incredible shave from a wonderful razor/blade combo.

128 562
 03-24-2016, 06:12 AM
User Info
Love the Astra SP blades also.  Work great in my vintage Gillette New LC and ATT S1.

5 81
 03-24-2016, 11:56 PM
User Info
Astra SP are great blade.. For me it works great in every razor I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 111
 03-25-2016, 03:20 AM
User Info
I love Astra SP, but i have not tried the feather popular yet, and i have been looking to use inexpensive light, plastic or bakelite razors, to travel, i am a pilot, and most of the time, bringing a heavier chunkier and more expensive razor might make you sweat while in some customs controls, i had my PAA DOC almost taken from me a couple times, because the guy had no idea what i was talking about.

0 25
 04-28-2016, 08:11 AM
User Info
Any sharp blade in the Feather Popular will give you a great shave... the combo mild DE razor, sharp blade always works, especially if you shave daily. Astra SP is one of them. You should also try, Feather Hi-Stainless, PolSilver Super Iridium, Gillette 7 O' Clock Super Platinum (Indian Black), Personna Lab Blue. You will get unbelievable close and irritation free shaves every time.

0 13