03-12-2016, 02:08 PM
User Info
Hello gents,

We are all familiar with the grading of badger hair, but does any one know if similar grades are used in the production of horse hair brushes or boar brushes?

Wave1  from Denmark

0 7
 03-12-2016, 02:17 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I'm only vaguely familiar with horse, but as far as I know the main difference relates to the mixture of mane hair and tail hair.  I believe tail hair is coarser than mane hair.  The horse hair brushes I've seen generally are 65% tail and 35% mane, with fewer being 50/50 tail/main.  I'm not at all familiar with boar.

5 882
 03-12-2016, 03:25 PM
User Info
I'm not familiar with the grading of badger hair let alone boar or horse hair. With all three I think I have a cursory understanding of the differences at a basic level.

The badger hair grades used at the consumer level by any manufacturer seem to have little to no correlation to the grades used by another to me.

About the only consistency I've noticed overall is inconsistency in relation to badger hair grading and marketing.

When you get into different eras or vintages the waters get even murkier. Layer on subcontracting over the years at various times and changes of ownership or manufacturing location and you can color me thoroughly confused.

Hmm

7 1,311
 03-13-2016, 06:58 AM
User Info
Hmm!
Doubt

0 7
 03-13-2016, 07:05 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
...there must be some type of boar hair grading.....because i recently purchased the Omega Bononcini brush from Bullgoosehaving, and the description says that it is a ...."...higher end boar brush ...."

..............so this leads me to believe that somehow boar hair is graded to some extent.....

43 1,063
 03-14-2016, 05:42 AM
User Info
I was thinking more in terms of differences of horses. Surely there must be a difference between a Lippizaner and a Hispano Arab. Which horses are used as suppliers of hair for shaving brushes?
And for boar bristles; from which part of the body does the bristles come?

Huh

0 7
 03-14-2016, 06:05 AM
User Info
On the topic of boar brushes, this thread is outdated, but I doubt much has changed.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5847]

As for horsehair, the main (no pun intended!) grades I see are mane and tail.  I have no experience with horse hair, but from a cursory search, it appears that mane hair is softer.  Just about every horse hair brush I've seen maintains some ratio between mane and tail.  I would contact Juan of Gifts & Care (who is a TSN member) if you have specific questions.

84 1,505
 03-14-2016, 06:19 AM
User Info
50/50 or 65/35 seems to be the most common blends of horse hairs... both lathers well and feels great on my face Smile

3 4,371
 03-14-2016, 06:50 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Horse hair is only different in color and comparative soft/hard of mane and tail. Color is a optical refraction of cellular arrangement with NO difference in tensile strength or other mechanical properties. There are BREEDS with distinctive adaptations such as the 'Bakshir Curly' which in America are all MORGANS with this genetic strain.
Bakshir's hair coats are also hypoallergenic and people with severe allergies can  interact with them without problem. All breeds descend from 4 proto strains; a small pony type in forests and marginal areas, larger draft in association with other mammal herd animals, a gracile plains and finally- ah finally the proto arab; that scoop nosed ( a retained juvenile feature) favorite of horseygirls who claims all breeds somehow evolved from that very nice horse with foolish breed representatives. If I haven't bored you, go to a tack store and you may find a copy of THE COLOR OF HORSES by a DVM who describes every ( then) known color pattern. Since publication people have gone stupid reinventing the horse with all manner of wild hair patterns. My best horse, Marty, was a blood bay with folliculitis; a pigment loss along the nervous system that left a wild looking chalk white spider web from his spine on down. That most famous of horses TRIGGER was a already well trained movie horse that first appeared with Olivia de Havilland in ROBIN HOOD under a oaktree in nearby Lake Sherwood. They're all gone but the oaktree and Trigger was
--gasp a Tennessee Walker and not a Quarter horse as claimed by that bunch. He's somewhere in Arkansas now bought by a restaurant owner after Roy's museum closed.

2 3,171
 03-15-2016, 03:30 AM
User Info
(03-14-2016, 06:05 AM)jpakstis Wrote: On the topic of boar brushes, this thread is outdated, but I doubt much has changed.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5847]

As for horsehair, the main (no pun intended!) grades I see are mane and tail.  I have no experience with horse hair, but from a cursory search, it appears that mane hair is softer.  Just about every horse hair brush I've seen maintains some ratio between mane and tail.  I would contact Juan of Gifts & Care (who is a TSN member) if you have specific questions.

Thanks !!

I actually thought the 1305 had 75% tops and not 90% tops, like the 830.
So the 830 and 1305 are identical, just has different handles. I learn something new everyday.
Glad I just bought both these pigs last week  Piggy_214

24 5,839