03-13-2016, 06:21 PM
User Info
I received a container of Taconic Bay Rum Shave Cream that I ordered. Upon opening the jar I noticed that the "cream" was more of a croap than a Cream. It did perform well. It lathered very well, I used a Silvertip with it as well as my shave bowl. The smell was unique I must say. Not really a great fan of the smell. I used the Dr. Selby today. It also performed as expected. Lathered well, I used my pure badger with it as well as a shave bowl. The smell was ok but not as I thought it would be. It really didn't smell like Lavender as I'm used to. I did like the way it allowed the razor to glide over the skin. I know I'm probably going to get jammed up for this statement but I really don't think that it's "all That" like everyone says it is. It is good, everything of course is YMMV. They are good products but I don't think I would buy them again.

0 72
 03-16-2016, 06:58 AM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
You won't "get jammed up for this statement" from me.  Thanks for the honest opinion.  I haven't tried either, but have been curious about them both.  I actually got 3 samples of Taconic just last week, but haven't shaved with them yet, although I've given the Eucalyptus Mint a test lather.  I like the scent of the Eucalyptus Mint, but did not care for the other two.  I plan to use the Eucalyptus Mint any day now.

13 651
 03-17-2016, 08:06 AM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
I gave the Taconic, Eucalyptus Mint a go this morning for the first time.  I liked the scent a lot!  I can't really post a "review" after just one use, but my initial "impression" is that it's a good cream.  I would not put it in the same ranks as Baume.be or XPEC or ABC or Esbjerg or Bio Palmyra, in terms of performance - more in line with the performance of TOBS (for me).  But the scent is fantastic!

13 651
 03-17-2016, 09:13 AM
User Info
Bummer the Dr Selby didn't live up to the recent hype. I'm partly to blame for the hype as I find it absolutely wonderful but as stated clearly a YMMV. Always great to hear an honest assessment. ps I don't think it smells like lavender either, I do like the scent though Biggrin

20 1,375
 03-17-2016, 05:31 PM
User Info
(03-17-2016, 09:13 AM)Nevada Red Wrote: Bummer the Dr Selby didn't live up to the recent hype. I'm partly to blame for the hype as I find it absolutely wonderful but as stated clearly a YMMV.  Always great to hear an honest assessment.  ps I don't think it smells like lavender either, I do like the scent though  Biggrin
Can't put my finger on the scent? It is a good cream just not what I had hoped. Oh well.

0 72
 03-17-2016, 07:07 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(03-17-2016, 09:13 AM)Nevada Red Wrote: Bummer the Dr Selby didn't live up to the recent hype. I'm partly to blame for the hype as I find it absolutely wonderful but as stated clearly a YMMV.  Always great to hear an honest assessment.  ps I don't think it smells like lavender either, I do like the scent though  Biggrin

I also think that it's wonderful. Outstanding performance, and I also like the light, soapy scent.

38 5,200
 03-18-2016, 06:22 AM
User Info
eaglewing1959 Wrote:Can't put my finger on the scent? It is a good cream just not what I had hoped. Oh well.

Was your issues with performance, scent or both? I found the performance fantastic, but the scent is.....middle of the road. Nothing wrong with the scent, but nothing great either. Not a true lavender though if that was what you were hoping for.

55 923
 03-18-2016, 10:25 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
Here in south america is a bit simpler to buy Dr. Selby. Not particularly in Brazil, but you know, sometimes a friend travels to Uruguay and vicinities and we can manage to grab a hand in some jars of soap.

I never quite really understand the overall hype around this soap. Yes, it produces a superb lather, but the synthetic lavender smell is a no no for me. Of course its a YMMV situation.

Regarding the Taconic bay rum, it was one of my first shaving creans back in the day where i thought we did not have some great products in Brazil (wich we do). The cream, as mentioned is more like a croap, and the smell wasnt all that great. But it is a nice products that gave me a good lather.

4 447
 03-18-2016, 04:51 PM
User Info
It was the smell and the performance. The smell was a little chemically and the performance, The soap kept drying on my face and I kept having to re wet. Haven't had that problem with others.

0 72