03-14-2016, 02:40 AM
User Info
Wondering...
What is the difference when i swe potassium tallowate vs sodium tallowate vs tallowic acid  vs just tallow?  Does one type perform better?

90 904
 03-14-2016, 05:00 AM
User Info
Tallow: a fat with a certain fatty acid profile; typically rendered beef fat. (Fats contains a glycerol backbone, with unique fatty acids attached to it, making it distinct.)
Tallowic acid: represents the fatty acids present in tallow.
Potassium Tallowate, Sodium Tallowate: these are salts (aka soaps) of tallow fatty acids (tallowic acids); these are produced by reacting lyes with the tallowic acids (in tallow), and glycerin is released as by-product.

Note: a "tallow" soap actually contains little to no tallow, as most, if not all, of the tallow is saponified to potassium tallowate, and sodium tallowate.

Typically, shaving creams - besides containing more water - contain a higher ratio of potassium tallowate-to-sodium tallowate (versus hard soaps).

0 530
 03-14-2016, 08:29 AM
User Info
+1  The reason that you see it listed differently on labels is because there are two ways to list ingredients that are both approved by the FDA:  either by listing the actual raw materials in descending order by quantity (most to least), or listing the products of the chemical reactions (tallow + sodium hydroxide = sodium tallowate, etc.), again most to least.  But it's the same thing, just a different way of listing it.

0 281
 03-14-2016, 08:48 AM
User Info
What ask4edge said. Its all been saponified.
As for me personally if something did'nt die to make the soap, Im not using it. I hate glycerine jobs and always have.

0 32