03-14-2016, 12:46 PM
User Info
I just received an Gray AlumiGoose 2 today from Maggard Razors.  I have not shaved with it yet.  
But comparing it to the AlumiGoose 1, there is quite a bit of difference in blade exposure.  
The blade exposure on the AG 1 with a Feather AC Pro, is greater than the AG 2 with a Feather AC Pro Super. 
My AG 1 shaves me best with a Kai Mild, it's that aggressive.  I've never tried a Stainless Mongoose to compare.

I was unable to use the AC Pro Super in the AG 1.  It tore up my face so bad that I had to switch blades early in my shave.
The AG 2 however has a much less aggressive blade exposure.  I look forward to trying it with the AC Pro Super tomorrow.

I wish I had both a good camera and the photographic skill to show it to you, but I unfortunately have neither.
Perhaps someone who has both razors, blades, camera, and skill, would contribute some comparative photos to this thread.
Out of 8 photos that I took with my shit camera, I was only willing to post one, and that one is only barely adequate.  
As you can see, I am not a skilled photographer. 

Roy

[Image: geT5ARf.jpg]

12 195
 03-14-2016, 07:29 PM
User Info
Why did you decided to start with a Super Feather instead of just a Feather Pro?

5 1,537
 03-14-2016, 08:35 PM
User Info
The AG 2 definitely is narrower then the AG2. Mongoose probably extended the guard so there is less blade exposure. According to FB they only made 100 of the original AG1.  I guess because people were complaining about blade exposure.  To compensate when I get the AG2 I will probably use a Kai Captain blade not the mild or a Kamisori blade which I have been using in my Mongoose satin stainless. That is a very sharp blade but the shave is very smooth and extremely close.

121 13,126
 03-14-2016, 08:49 PM
User Info
(03-14-2016, 07:29 PM)shave/brush Wrote: Why did you decided to start with a Super Feather instead of just a Feather Pro?

I didn't.  I bought a Mongoose 7 blade sampler and started with the Kai Mild, then worked my way up.  

It was the AC Pro Super however that turned out to be unusable for me, at least in the Alumigoose 1.  
But since version 2 has noticeably less blade exposure and a steeper angle of attack, I thought I'd give it a second try, probably in the morning.

Before I switched to SE razors, I tended to prefer aggressive DE's like the Muhle r41 and the iKon Tech.
So it came as a surprise that the Alumigoose 1 turned out to be more aggressive than either of those.
The 2nd version looks to be a complete redesign however.  Both the blade exposure and the angle of attack are quite different.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but we'll see what the morning brings.

Roy

12 195
 03-14-2016, 08:51 PM
User Info
(03-14-2016, 08:35 PM)slantman Wrote: The AG 2 definitely is narrower then the AG2. Mongoose probably extended the guard so there is less blade exposure. According to FB they only made 100 of the original AG1.  I guess because people were complaining about blade exposure.  To compensate when I get the AG2 I will probably use a Kai Captain blade not the mild or a Kamisori blade which I have been using in my Mongoose satin stainless. That is a very sharp blade but the shave is very smooth and extremely close.

You mean the AG 2 is narrower than the AG 1, don't you?

Roy

12 195
 03-15-2016, 04:51 AM
User Info
(03-14-2016, 08:51 PM)Roy Otto Yor Wrote:
(03-14-2016, 08:35 PM)slantman Wrote: The AG 2 definitely is narrower then the AG2. Mongoose probably extended the guard so there is less blade exposure. According to FB they only made 100 of the original AG1.  I guess because people were complaining about blade exposure.  To compensate when I get the AG2 I will probably use a Kai Captain blade not the mild or a Kamisori blade which I have been using in my Mongoose satin stainless. That is a very sharp blade but the shave is very smooth and extremely close.

You mean the AG 2 is narrower than the AG 1, don't you?

Roy

I wrote this very late in the evening but yes you are correct.

121 13,126
 03-15-2016, 08:18 AM
User Info
This morning I shaved with my new Alumigoose 2, using a Feather AC Pro Super.  It gave me a superb shave; very smooth, with no nicks or abrasions.

What a big difference there is between these two razors.  The AG 2 with the AC Pro Super gave me a smoother shave than the AG 1 with the regular AC Pro.

The Kai Mild was my blade of choice for the AG 1, while I'm sure that I will find it woefully inadequate when I get around to trying it in the AG 2.

The AG 1 was almost uncomfortably aggressive, whereas the AG 2 is a very comfortable and efficient shaving tool.  I even like the feel of the hexagonal handle.

So in my opinion, the AG 2 is a significant design improvement over the AG 1.  My congratulations to the Mongoose team for a job well done.

Roy

12 195
 03-15-2016, 09:07 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I agree with your early experiences Roy. I'm several shaves in using the feather pro and find it easier to tame than version one. I found version one great with a Kai mild as my go to blade. I will certainly try the Kai mild for comparison however the pro is performing nicely.

59 4,502
 03-16-2016, 02:38 AM
User Info
I cant see it in Maggard. Is out of stock? There are a list?

Enviado desde mi iPhone 6s utilizando Tapatalk

3 1,065
 03-16-2016, 04:32 AM
User Info
Maggards is contacting people on the Alumigoose waiting/interest list before going public. It's there on a secret link. They check orders against the list of names, though, and won't accept orders from people off the list. So if you're on it, you will receive an email shortly. Otherwise I think it will go public in a couple weeks.

2 66
 03-16-2016, 04:37 AM
User Info
Ah ok. I am not in the list.

Enviado desde mi iPhone 6s utilizando Tapatalk

3 1,065
 03-16-2016, 03:32 PM
User Info
I did not know that it was even available in grey. I got the black one and I will shave with it in the morning. When Maggard sent the email, the only option was black. I like that grey handle with o rings. Any ideas on how to get it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 878
 03-16-2016, 03:56 PM
User Info
(03-16-2016, 03:32 PM)gmhjr06 Wrote: I did not know that it was even available in grey.  I got the black one and I will shave with it in the morning.  When Maggard sent the email, the only option was black.  I like that grey handle with o rings.  Any ideas on how to get it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was, and still is available in gunmetal gray or black.  
Maggard was probably just out of the gray ones by the time they got to you.  
I would either wait patiently, or try to get back on the list with Mongoose.  
In theory, Maggard will have product in stock just as soon as they finish filling the backlogged orders.  
I would trade you my gray head for your black one, if you're interested, but I'm keeping my gray handle.  
You could of course put o-rings on your black handle, just as easily and cheaply as I did.  
I hope you enjoy the shave as much as I did; much better than Version 1.

Roy

12 195
 03-16-2016, 05:07 PM
User Info
I like the black head but I like the combination of the grey handle with o rings with the black head. You think they will sell the handle anytime soon?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 878
 03-16-2016, 07:18 PM
User Info
(03-16-2016, 05:07 PM)gmhjr06 Wrote: I like the black head but I like the combination of the grey handle with o rings with the black head.  You think they will sell the handle anytime soon?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't know.  You'll have to ask Mongoose, but my understanding is that they will only be selling complete razors, and not separate pieces.
I think the black head & gray handle combo are going to be a hot item however, and if it's popular enough they may accommodate.
I emailed them with just that suggestion.  We'll see what comes of it.

Roy

12 195
 03-16-2016, 07:28 PM
User Info
I am on the list and I have not heard from Maggard Razor yet. I asked the Mongoose team if I could buy an aluminum handle only and they said no.

5 1,537
 04-09-2016, 08:49 AM
User Info
I got an e-mail from Maggard Razors saying they got 64 AlumiGoose razors in for the people that were on the Mongoose waiting list. I decided not to go for it since I already have the version 1 AlumiGoose. They are cool looking though.

5 1,537
 04-09-2016, 02:24 PM
User Info
I also received an email from Maggard yesterday advising me they have 64 gray and black Goose2 razors in stock and if I want one I should reply within 48 hours by following a link to purchase. However, SRD also has them on their website so I bought one from them and should have it Monday or Tuesday. What I don't like about Maggard's policy regarding the Goose2 purchase and shipping is if you buy the razor only(no other purchase) you have to pay for shipping even so it's free shipping for  over $75. There claim is margins are very slim on the Goose2.

121 13,126
 04-09-2016, 05:33 PM
User Info
The AlumiGoose 2 is an outstanding razor, very smooth, and absolutely perfect with Triad Ti Aristocrat 14mm. My best SE razor !!!

[Image: Gq6BS7j.jpg]

Lorenzo.

29 1,084
 04-09-2016, 05:41 PM
User Info
(04-09-2016, 05:33 PM)Lorenzo Wrote: The AlumiGoose 2 is an outstanding razor, very smooth, and absolutely perfect with Triad Ti Aristocrat 14mm. My best SE razor !!!

[Image: Gq6BS7j.jpg]

Lorenzo.

Very nice Lorenzo.

61 3,796