03-15-2016, 08:39 AM
User Info
A fellow member was kind enough to send me a few samples of the Stone Cottage Creams. Gotta say the performance is really good, easy to lather, great slickness, and very nice post shave. They have quite a few different scents so you can probably find something that fits in your wheelhouse. For me the Lavender, Hesperide and Fougere have been quite nice. Just thought i'd throw this out there for those that may be looking to try some new stuff.

3 908
 03-15-2016, 09:28 AM
User Info
Stone Cottage is great stuff.  Super slick, wide variety of interesting fragrances, and its an artisan cream (what's up with that? )

6 223
 03-15-2016, 04:18 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
I am actually selling their Fougere in the BST of anyone is interested.

57 2,547
 03-15-2016, 04:52 PM
User Info
Any who's used this also used Al's or Baume.be? If so, how does it compare?

147 3,461
 03-16-2016, 06:46 AM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
(03-15-2016, 04:52 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Any who's used this also used Al's or Baume.be? If so, how does it compare?

I've used all three, but only Baume.be with regularity.  I say that qualifying statement up front because I haven't used Al's or Stone Cottage enough times to give them a worthy "review", but I can offer my impressions based on a few uses with both.   In terms of performance, Baume.be is superior to Al's and Stone Cottage, by a wide margin (at least IMHO).  Baume.be is slicker, for me, than the other two, and offers me more protection. 

I use soaps most of the time, but I do mix it up with creams, and Baume.be is about the only cream that I will use with a traditional straight, and is probably my favorite cream (yes, I like it more than XPEC).  However, Al's and Stone Cottage work very well with a Feather Artist Club or a DE (for me).    The SC scents that I shaved with were:  Frankincense, Fougere, and Hesperide.  I have samples of Myrrh, Suede de Kashmir, and Sandalwood that I haven't shaved with yet.  The strongest scented one (to me) is the Hesperide, by far.  It's actually quite nice, and I liked it a lot.  The Frankincense and Fougere were quite subtle - very nice - but subtle.  If you like strongly scented soaps/creams (like I do), you'll think them weak.  I haven't lathered up the Myrrh, Suede de Kashmir, or Sandalwood yet, but just out of the container, the Myrrh is very faint, barely detectable (although we all know that can change once lathered).  The Sandalwood seems nice, and the Suede de Kashmir seems very nice.  I look forward to trying the Suede.

In terms of performance, I think that SC was a tad bit better for me than Al's.  Both Al's and SC are quality creams, though.  Both have nicely scented offerings, with Al's being more robust than SC (with the exception of Hesperide).  But both take a backseat to Baume.be for me.

This has been my experience with these three - YMMV, of course.

13 645
 03-16-2016, 07:08 AM
User Info
Although I haven't used Al's, I do use Baume.be regularly and together with Esbjerg they represent my top 2 creams (so far) in all categories.

Having worked my way through initial samples of Stone Cottage I have to say it is an excellent cream, with great slickness, post shave, and some great fragrance choices.  However, it is not in the same league with Baume.be, primarily when it comes to cushion.  In my mind I would put it more on a par with SJOL which I also find to be a great cream but lacking in the same cushion and protection areas as Baume.be.

So far the Hesperide is my favorite fragrance, hard to describe it but it hits a sweet spot for me like MW Egyptian Dragon.  Can't describe it, just like it a lot.

I am going to order more samples of scents I haven't tried before pulling the trigger on a tub of whatever strikes my fancy.  But for $18.00 for 6 oz, it is hard to go wrong. Stone Cottage is an excellent cream.

6 223
 03-16-2016, 09:10 AM
User Info
Al's is my #1, period. Well, so is ABC.
Bought Baume.be on recommendation from a vendor, it went to a co-worker.
Never tried CS.

36 886
 03-16-2016, 01:30 PM
User Info
Thanks for the comparison guys. I may have to get a sample sometime and give them a run.

147 3,461
 10-07-2016, 09:52 AM
User Info
I happened to notice that Stone Cottage is running a 20% off promotion now on sample packs: 5 for $8 (normally 10).
I sprang for it and will post again once I've tried them.

I've been saying that I had enough soaps and creams to last me years -- and I do -- but I feel good about getting the sample pack as a way to inject variety while working down inventory.

8 896
 10-07-2016, 05:58 PM
User Info
(10-07-2016, 09:52 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: I happened to notice that Stone Cottage is running a 20% off promotion now on sample packs: 5 for $8 (normally 10).
I sprang for it and will post again once I've tried them.

I've been saying that I had enough soaps and creams to last me years -- and I do -- but I feel good about getting the sample pack as a way to inject variety while working down inventory.

Thanks for the tip - went for the sample pack as well.

15 1,018
 10-07-2016, 06:47 PM
User Info
I can't use, has EDTA in it; makes me break out.

0 596
 04-21-2017, 09:24 AM
User Info
For various reasons, I didn't get around to trying the Hespéride until today.
I concur with other posters above. This scent really stood out for me...subtle yet insistent.
And my jar was from before the recent adjustment that the proprietor made to bump the scents up a notch!

Here's his description:

"Based on an 'Eau de Cologne' type of scent with top notes that include Neroli (floral) Petitgrain and Bitter Orange (citrus) and all three of these are from the same tree! Middle notes of Rose and Rosemary which play off each other and base notes of Sandalwood and Musk."

I took a fingertip's worth and worked it into my face.
Then I used my Vie-Long Pony. It worked very nicely.

8 896
 04-22-2017, 09:19 AM
User Info
I have called this company 10 times from Thursday till today and only get a message that he can't come to the phone.  I also send three emails and nothing.  His soap sounds great but I guess I will never know.

0 235
 04-22-2017, 11:37 AM
User Info
(04-22-2017, 09:19 AM)Tidepool Wrote: I have called this company 10 times from Thursday till today and only get a message that he can't come to the phone.  I also send three emails and nothing.  His soap sounds great but I guess I will never know.

I finally got an email from him.  However, it sounds like he does not want to talk on the phone nor does he take phone orders.  I did have some questions but that is that.  I am glad you are pleased with his products I have heard some good things.

0 235
 04-22-2017, 12:42 PM
User Info
The website has ample info and orders placed from it are fulfilled promptly (mine was, at any rate).

8 896
 04-22-2017, 04:21 PM
User Info
(04-22-2017, 12:42 PM)Rory1262 Wrote: The website has ample info and orders placed from it are fulfilled promptly (mine was, at any rate).

Interesting I was born in Brooklyn.

0 235
 04-23-2017, 03:40 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
...Huh?
I think we are on the edge of our seats waiting to hear what your issue is.
All I see is a complaint without a trigger.

57 2,547
 04-23-2017, 12:11 PM
User Info
(04-23-2017, 03:40 AM)Nero Wrote: ...Huh?

WOW bad day huh?

0 235
 04-23-2017, 02:01 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
The owner communicates primarily through email.  

I've been using these creams for about 2 years now.  Excellent creams.  Personally I think slickness is their strong point.....not cushion. But they do have adequate cushion.

I just got word that they have strengthened all their scents recently.

not my absolute TOP cream, but excellent nonetheless and certainly worth sampling.  Their Bay Lime, Hesperide, Fougere and Vetiver & Vanilla are my favs.

159 1,316
 04-23-2017, 02:33 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(04-23-2017, 12:11 PM)Tidepool Wrote:
(04-23-2017, 03:40 AM)Nero Wrote: ...Huh?

WOW bad day huh?

Ha right, how did I know the person who calls someone 10 times in a day plus emails was going to say that. I'd never respond if anyone did that to me.

57 2,547