03-16-2016, 07:02 PM
User Info
Ok guys give me your opinion.  I have the Merkur 34C and the Merkur Futur, but I have been wanting to try a slant head razor.  I really don't use my Futur I would say I used it maybe 4 times I just prefer the 34C, so I was thinking about trading the Futur for a slant head what do you think would be a good comparable slant head price wise?

8 147
 03-16-2016, 08:01 PM
User Info
Ikon Shavecraft 102 slant ... great razor and can be found between $60-$75

30 453
 03-16-2016, 08:03 PM
User Info
Very cool thanks for the input

8 147
 03-16-2016, 08:05 PM
User Info
(03-16-2016, 08:03 PM)rkrmr Wrote: Very cool thanks for the input

You are welcome !

30 453
 03-16-2016, 08:11 PM
User Info
[Image: qHnNpUA.jpg]
Here is a picture of the ikon Shave Craft 102 slant with ikon OSS handle

30 453
 03-17-2016, 03:59 AM
User Info
on another forum 2 people said the 37C and you and one other person said the Ikon 102

8 147
 03-17-2016, 04:22 AM
User Info
I personally love the 37C but how aggressive do you like your shaves?  What setting do you usually use the Futur on?  The 37C is definitely more aggressive than the 34C but I would think less than the Futur on 5 or 6.  "Aggressiveness" with a slant and especially the 37C/39C in general is a not a traditional discussion of aggression.  It can be as smooth as glass but you end up with weepers because of two factors: the "open" end of the slant, where the blade and the safety bar separate and the fact that the slant torques the blade, making it firmer than a regular DE.  Less "aggressive" slants like the 102 don't have that separation as the safety bar drops from left to right and torquest the blade even less.

The good thing about the 37C and the 39C (i.e. the "sledgehammer" handled version of the 37C) is that they are easily found and cheaper than something even like the 102 which is pretty much out of stock, the original iKon slant,  the Italian Barber slants, and the Above The Tie slant.  I haven't personally tried it but based on this thread, I would stay away from the Holy Black slant.  I can't think of any "current production" slants that you could easily get like you can the 37C.

84 1,505
 03-17-2016, 04:39 AM
User Info
The Ikon 102 is a smooth shaving, wonderful razor. I also have the Merkur 39c, the 37c with a longer, heavier handle and it is awesome! The 39c is the smoothest razor I've used out of the 40 I own.
Herm :-)

1 66
 03-17-2016, 05:00 AM
User Info
Wow this is a lot of great information, I really appreciate all of the input.  

I am going to try and either trade my Futur for one of those or sell it and buy one, however I still have to do 33 more post before I can do that on this site.

8 147
 03-17-2016, 11:05 AM
User Info
If anyone has a Ikon 102 to trade for a Futur I would love to hear from you

8 147
 03-17-2016, 05:55 PM
User Info
The iKon 102 is a lot more mild than a 34C.  The Merkur 39, or vintage Hoffritz, Coles, etc. would be a lot more similar in aggressiveness and feel to the 34C, while still giving the full effect of the slant.  You might look at those as well.

29 257
 03-17-2016, 07:39 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-16-2016, 07:02 PM)rkrmr Wrote: Ok guys give me your opinion.  I have the Merkur 34C and the Merkur Futur, but I have been wanting to try a slant head razor.  I really don't use my Futur I would say I used it maybe 4 times I just prefer the 34C, so I was thinking about trading the Futur for a slant head what do you think would be a good comparable slant head price wise?

First, you must address the reason why you want to try a slant.  The original slant concept accomplished two independent goals simultaneously:  
  •  The edge of the blade did not attack the whiskers at a 90° angle to the direction of the stroke, but rather sliced it on the bias; the slanted blade of the guillotine used in the French Revolution similarly had a blade edge that did not hit the neck perpendicularly, and so was less liable to bounce and make a messy cut; and
  •  The top cap torqued the blade over the baseplate, stiffening the blade overall, and therefore reducing judder at the cutting edge.
Some slants — e.g., the iKon 102 — accomplish only the first of those two criteria.  There is nothing wrong with that, but the 102 does not “do” the torqing and consequent blade stiffening that other slant designs are capable of doing.  Other slants — e.g., the Above the Tie slants — have such a mild angle of slant that the angle of attack on the whiskers is not all that different from a non-slant.  Again, there is nothing at all wrong with that, but if the reason that you want a slant is to experience something that is very different from a non-slant razor experience, perhaps you should be looking at slants with a blade angle more biased away from the standard solid-bar razors.

1 1,110
 03-17-2016, 08:11 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
If you've owned two Merkur's buy the Merkur slant. I was recently gifted one ( thankyou again Johnny!) and after owning the HD it was like an old friend.

2 3,171
 03-18-2016, 12:38 AM
User Info
If you're a daily shaver I say go for the iKon 102, if you tend to skip days then a Merkur 37C may be a better choice.

9 202
 03-18-2016, 12:39 AM
User Info
(03-17-2016, 07:39 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(03-16-2016, 07:02 PM)rkrmr Wrote: Ok guys give me your opinion.  I have the Merkur 34C and the Merkur Futur, but I have been wanting to try a slant head razor.  I really don't use my Futur I would say I used it maybe 4 times I just prefer the 34C, so I was thinking about trading the Futur for a slant head what do you think would be a good comparable slant head price wise?

First, you must address the reason why you want to try a slant.  The original slant concept accomplished two independent goals simultaneously:  
  •  The edge of the blade did not attack the whiskers at a 90° angle to the direction of the stroke, but rather sliced it on the bias; the slanted blade of the guillotine used in the French Revolution similarly had a blade edge that did not hit the neck perpendicularly, and so was less liable to bounce and make a messy cut; and
  •  The top cap torqued the blade over the baseplate, stiffening the blade overall, and therefore reducing judder at the cutting edge.
Some slants — e.g., the iKon 102 — accomplish only the first of those two criteria.  There is nothing wrong with that, but the 102 does not “do” the torqing and consequent blade stiffening that other slant designs are capable of doing.  Other slants — e.g., the Above the Tie slants — have such a mild angle of slant that the angle of attack on the whiskers is not all that different from a non-slant.  Again, there is nothing at all wrong with that, but if the reason that you want a slant is to experience something that is very different from a non-slant razor experience, perhaps you should be looking at slants with a blade angle more biased away from the standard solid-bar razors.

Great information, thank you so much!

8 147
 03-18-2016, 12:41 AM
User Info
(03-18-2016, 12:38 AM)KevinD Wrote: If you're a daily shaver I say go for the iKon 102, if you tend to skip days then a Merkur 37C may be a better choice.

I usually skip a couple days because of neck irritation.

8 147
 03-18-2016, 12:44 AM
User Info
I cant recommend enought an ATT S1

Enviado desde mi iPhone 6s utilizando Tapatalk

3 1,133
 03-18-2016, 12:45 AM
User Info
Alot of great information here, you guys are great.  I still have 30 more post before I can officially list in the want to trade section, but I would like to see if anyone has a trade offer for my Merkur Futur

8 147
 03-19-2016, 10:29 AM
User Info
I have the 37C and really love the shaves I get with it.  I can always get a three pass BBS.  As for the aggressiveness I have yet to nick or cut myself and have little to no irritation.  I have never used an Ikon slant but I have a hard time believing that for the $30 to $40 difference that it would shave that much better IMHO.

0 94
 03-19-2016, 04:04 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-19-2016, 10:29 AM)LVshvnNow Wrote: I have the 37C and really love the shaves I get with it.  I can always get a three pass BBS.  As for the aggressiveness I have yet to nick or cut myself and have little to no irritation.  I have never used an Ikon slant but I have a hard time believing that for the $30 to $40 difference that it would shave that much better IMHO.

With all due respect, if the only question is, “will it shave better?" then (IMHO, YMMV) you have mostly missed the point.  Simply from the standpoint of reducing stubble and leaving the face with a BBS feel and look, you can get a Feather MR3 neo for half the price of a Merkur 37C and on the “shave better” criterion, it will beat the Merkur every shave, time after time, no matter what brand of blades you fit to the Merkur.   And: the MR3 neo beats the Merkur for fit and finish, also.  

So I happen to have a Feather MR3 neo, and, pretty much, I use it only when I am traveling — when my Dopp Kit is going into carry-on (cabin) baggage on commercial aircraft, where interchangeable non-cartridge blades may not be taken.  And I get great shaves, every time, while traveling. Why, then, do I shave with a DE razor daily at home, when I can get just as good shaves with the Feather MR3 neo already in my possession?   You might as well ask the owner of a Porsche Panamera or a BMW 7 series why he drives that kind of car on traffic-clogged urban freeways to and from work when a much less expensive (to purchase, to insure, and to maintain) Toyota Corolla will get him to his destination just as quickly.  

There are very few appliances that we use daily that ultimately are judged by a one-dimensional criterion; shaving appliances are no exception.

1 1,110