03-17-2016, 03:00 AM
User Info
I just got the new 2 scents, and I enjoy both scents.

Both are a new and more advanced take on more advanced scents, better suited for guys, that are a bit into fragrances I think.

The first two releases, Verbena and Grapefruit, are both quite tame but nice smelling scents.

The sensitive imho is a milder take on the Verbena scent.

The 2 new scents, Orange & Vetiver and Amber & Kardamome, are both a bit more daring.

What they all have in common is that they all, in my humble opinion, performs among the best shaving creams I have ever tested/owned.

This means I would place them higher than St. James, just a bit better cushion and slickness, and in fact on par - for me - with Xpec.

I also own both the soap and the crea from Baume.Be, and I still would rank Baume.Be on the same level as Xpec and this new player, Esbjerg.
What makes me prefer Esbjerg over Baume.Be is the scent. While I do certainly enjoy the Baume.Be scent, I did buy 2 glass pots of Baume.Be last year and in a matter of 2 months used one full pot of the Baume.be cream up, and the got to know the weird scent quite well. The scent reminds me of a mix of an aqutic fresh vibe mixed with a carrot/vegetable scent, which just comes off a bit weird to my nose.
I will always have the Baume.Be cream in my den (not th soap, as it's an underperfomrer in my den compared to the cream, still a nice soap, but just not stellar) but the scent makes me prefer Esbjerg over it, even the Esbjerg sensitive with the Verbena Light scent. They go neck to neck performance wise, Esbjerg and Baume.Be - maybe a slight edge to Esbjerg if I have to be honest, but they are very close.

Xpec with the quite daring scent, is an acquired taste. I enjoy the scent, but it is a bit daring, and has this slightly animalic/dried dark fruit vibe to it mixed with woody notes, but performance of Xpec is still king, but Esbjerg is very very close - so close that from day to day, I could very well place the esbjerg in front of the Xpec. I still think Xpec is a but more slick than the esbjerg and Baume.Be, but only slightly. Esbjerg lathers very easily, and just feels as if it has tons of cushion and protection, while you shave.

I own the new and old formula of Xpec, and I can't notice big differences in their performance, that I know some guys can (some feel the new formula is sub par compared to the old formula)

For me, the new king of artisan shaving cream is ESBJERG, a cream made in Austria. If Xpec came in more scents, I would probably place Xpec in front of Esbjerg, but I feel Xpec needs to add a cople of scents fro me to place them clearly in front of Esbjerg creams. YMMV

We have very few artisans making shaving creams, and I wish more would venture into the shaving cream area, instead of just focussing on soaps.
I like my soaps, but I enjoy my creams just as much.

[Image: zY5Y527.jpg]

24 5,850
 03-17-2016, 04:00 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Thanks for the review. I just purchased the orange and have yet to receive it but when the month of March is over it will be tops on my list.

Bring on April.

7 445
 03-17-2016, 04:07 AM
User Info
Thank you Claus,

I have been on the fence about buying this cream but after reading your thoughts, I may just have to buy some now..does the Cardamon one smell similar to Penhaligons Bayolea by any chance? Really enjoyed the fragrance of the Bayolea shave cream, just could not get a good lather out of it.

1 213
 03-17-2016, 04:14 AM
User Info
If there is a shaving cream out there that can outperform Esbjerg, I haven't found it yet.  I agree that it is both more slick and provides more cushioning than St. James, and would have to say ( for me ) it edges out Baume.be as well.

Esbjerg produces a thick, dense lather, that retains its slickness properties.  Other creams I have tried can match Esbjerg in slickness, and some can match it for cushion, but I have nothing in my den that can do both, as Esbjerg does.

The Amber & Kardamom sounds interesting.  Any comments on the fragrance ?

6 223
 03-17-2016, 04:46 AM
User Info
Thanks guys  Smile

The scent of Penhaligon Bayolea bares no resemblences to the esbjerg scent.
I own both the Bayolea shaving soap and the Bayolea EDT. I don't own the Bayolea cream, because it's a brushless cream that will not lather, because it's not meant to lather.

The two new Esbjerg scents are more aimed at fragrance heads, while the two old ones are more for the masses.

I enjoy all the scents, Verbena and Grapefruit are more for the warmer weather shaves, the two new ones I would prefer for the colder weather season.

But as with all fragrance related, all fragrances can be worn year round, if you like to. I just prefer the lighter scents in the warmer season, and the darker thicker scents in the colder weather.
The Orange Vetiver is prorbably a year round scent, but the vetiver in it makes me think of fall and spring (Vetiver is scent, that for me just is better suited in spring and fall, because of the bitter grassy vibe I get from it)

The sensitive is not unscented, but has a small faint scent similar to the Verbena scent, sort of Verbena light.

24 5,850
 03-17-2016, 04:56 AM
User Info
Thanks again Claus,

It explains why the sample of Bayolea shaving cream I had didn't lather. 

Verbena is on my list to try now.

1 213
 03-17-2016, 05:28 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I agree with your comments about Esbjerg, Claus. It's an excellent cream. I have the Amber Cardomon, an interesting combination that I enjoy, but it might not be for everyone.

38 5,036
 03-17-2016, 05:56 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Excellent review, Claus.
I have been using Esbjerg Grapefruit for over two years. It is by far the best product currently produced (...SdM is another abnormally high scorer).
XPEC (old) is the only product which even deserves a comparison, as these 2-3 products are so far ahead.
Performance leaves nothing left to be desired. The lather, shave, and post shave are everything I want and need.
Been waiting (not sure why) to add other scents and I will do so very shortly.
To anyone else on the fence about Esbjerg, don't be.

57 2,560
 03-17-2016, 06:53 AM
User Info
Esbjerg makes an excellent product performance wise.  I only have the grapefruit scent, which I would classify as kind of a creamy grapefruit scent.  As mentioned the performance is excellent.  My only gripe with Esbjerg is the residue it leaves behind.  I am not sure why it does this, but both my brushes and my razors have a white residue on them after use.  I have to use some Mystic Waters the next day to clean them up, as it seems to clean and leaves no residue.

73 2,200
 03-17-2016, 07:10 AM
User Info
Great review on the creams. I really enjoyed your description and comparisons among other creams and latherability.

24 698
 03-17-2016, 07:18 AM
User Info
Nice review Claus.

Johnny's comments 'enabled' purchases of Verbena, Grapefruit and Sensitiv. I can hardly wait to lather these up!

23 474
 03-17-2016, 07:58 AM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
Excellent write up!  I really enjoy the comparison of the reviewed soap/cream/stick to other brands - it gives great perspective. 

I blind bought a tub of the Grapefruit a couple of weeks ago and have only used it once, but I like it very much.  I plan to use it again tomorrow.

13 646
 03-17-2016, 08:01 AM
User Info
Does anyone know where the best place to order them from would be?

82 21,056
 03-17-2016, 09:23 AM
User Info
(03-17-2016, 08:01 AM)celestino Wrote: Does anyone know where the best place to order them from would be?

They just had a 20% discount birthday offer, on the official site, esbjerg . com, but I think it ended last weekend, Celestino  Sad

I ordered mine and some other stuff with the 20% discount.

But you can also get them at straightrazordesigns . com

24 5,850
 03-17-2016, 10:32 AM
User Info
Thanks, Claus! Shy

82 21,056
 03-17-2016, 11:04 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Celestino,  

Bib and Tucker out of Michigan offers Esbjerg.

42 1,041
 03-17-2016, 11:38 AM
User Info
Oh heck, something new to try Smile

Thanks for the reviews Claus.

61 3,796
 03-17-2016, 02:03 PM
User Info
That grapefruit is calling out to me...

15 1,021
 03-17-2016, 02:46 PM
User Info
Esbjerg and Tabula Rasa are creams I've been considering to get, crossing fingers they won't cause me skin reactions. 
Claus, I believe you've said you like TB, where does it fall into your trio?

8 1,065
 03-17-2016, 02:54 PM
User Info
I have the Sensitive and performance was top notch with that slight Verbena scent. I desperately wanted the Amber and Cardamombut wasn't sure on the scent combo and haven't seen reviews on the scent.

49 356