• Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY

May the road rise to meet you,

May the wind be at your back,

May the sun shine warm upon your face.

May the rain fall softly on your fields,

And until we meet again,

May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

[Image: kSTYGhW.jpg]

175 23,752
 03-17-2016, 04:34 AM
User Info
Don't forget its also Evacuation Day!  When the British were evacuated from Boston.  The Revolutionaries' password that day was "St. Patrick."  Four years later, when the Revolutionary army was bunkered down in Morristown, NJ, in conditions just about as bad as Valley Forge, in order to boost morale among its largely Irish troops, George Washington gave them the day off.  So we've been celebrating St. Patrick's Day longer than we've been a country.

Evacuation Day is still a holiday in Boston.  The Mayor wanted St. Patrick's Day to be a holiday so that he and others could engage in "civic festivities" during the day but the legislature wouldn't go along with that.  So instead he found that it was also the same day as when the British left Boston, which I guess made it a lot more palatable.  Up until a few years ago, it was a holiday in Suffolk County, which was great for me as a state worker in Boston.  "Unfortunately" in the public crack down on state and local corruption and in a PR move they got rid of the holiday (along with Bunker Hill Day in June, i.e. the only day I would traditionally get to go golfing without getting in trouble with the wife).

84 1,505
 03-17-2016, 04:44 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
An interesting piece of history.  It's to damn cold to golf, but I do plan on tipping a few tonight.

[Image: 7x3rTdf.png]

175 23,752
 03-17-2016, 05:32 AM
User Info
Happy St. Patrick's Day all! Thanks Johnny. Thanks for sharing Josh and Happy Evacuation Day.

[Image: RF5RoYR.jpg]

16 1,889
 03-17-2016, 05:54 AM
User Info
Éirinn go Brách

83 423
 03-17-2016, 05:58 AM
User Info
(03-17-2016, 04:34 AM)jpakstis Wrote: Don't forget its also Evacuation Day!  When the British were evacuated from Boston.  The Revolutionaries' password that day was "St. Patrick."  Four years later, when the Revolutionary army was bunkered down in Morristown, NJ, in conditions just about as bad as Valley Forge, in order to boost morale among its largely Irish troops, George Washington gave them the day off.  So we've been celebrating St. Patrick's Day longer than we've been a country.

Evacuation Day is still a holiday in Boston.  The Mayor wanted St. Patrick's Day to be a holiday so that he and others could engage in "civic festivities" during the day but the legislature wouldn't go along with that.  So instead he found that it was also the same day as when the British left Boston, which I guess made it a lot more palatable.  Up until a few years ago, it was a holiday in Suffolk County, which was great for me as a state worker in Boston.  "Unfortunately" in the public crack down on state and local corruption and in a PR move they got rid of the holiday (along with Bunker Hill Day in June, i.e. the only day I would traditionally get to go golfing without getting in trouble with the wife).

Very interesting post jpakstis, thanks for sharing!

0 52
 03-17-2016, 06:01 AM
User Info
Thanks Johnny and a happy St. Patrick's Day too you and all at TSN!

0 52
 03-17-2016, 06:36 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
Happy St. Patty's Day!  Cheers

Eric

46 929
 03-17-2016, 07:13 AM
User Info
Happy St. Pattys! Don't drink and drive too much tonight guys.

24 696
 03-17-2016, 01:52 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
After my parents divorce we became pariahs in a very conservative neighborhood. My mom enrolled us in a nearby Anglican private school. I show up on this day in green to face a sea of orange. Father Murphy; 6'6" All Ireland 1938 steps out in green vestments, takes one look and walks me to
the alter and switches out one alter boy. Later that day we practice football aka soccer. He stands in his black cassock opposite me and says ' now ya fecking wee reepuubleecan try and get past me'. I do to his clapping hands.
I learned as much Irish history from him as My Fenian great grandmother Hanna who taught me the Gaelic and about the good neighbors. I graduated and had to return to public school. he gifted me a volume of W.B. Yeats poetry and with a parting blessing said 'we all love Ireland and are all Irish.'  
I visited years later during 'The Troubles' and met some Provo cousins.  I saw a riot on Fells Road that abruptly came to a sudden stop. Are the Paras coming? I asked Patrick, hoping to collect a plastic bullet. No, it's tea time.
I took a bus for the south that night.
My mother has corned beef and cabbage boiling on the stove. I hate corned beef and cabbage. I hate-well, hatred and have never worn green on this day since. I get  Lithuanian-Filipino Americans looking like green topiaries giving me grief. I reply something in Gaelic, which, as Myles Na Gopaleen wrote in it's purest form sounds like pigs.

2 3,171