03-17-2016, 12:10 PM
User Info
After some reading on Russian blades I noticed that all though many Russian DE blades are on the market, they came from only two factories.

One in St. Petersburg and the other in Moscow.
Decided to list which DE blades are from which city and company.

St. Petersburg vs Moscow Russian blades.

Via St. Petersburg by Gillette/ZAO Petersburg Int.

Gillette Silver Blue (light blue)

Gillette Platinum (dark blue)

Gillette Rubie Platinum

Perma-Sharp

Iridium super

Astra Super Stainless (blue)

Astra Super Platinum (green)

Sputnik

Polsilver

Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Stainless (green)

Gillette 7 O’Clock Sharp Edge (yellow)

Nacet

Via Moscow by JSC Mostochlegmash :

Voskhod
Rapira Platinum Lux

Rapira Swedish Supersteel

Rapira Stainless Chrome

Rapira Super Stainless

Ladas

Sharp Star

5 270
 03-17-2016, 07:48 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-17-2016, 12:10 PM)Red Rider Wrote: After some reading on Russian blades I noticed that all though many Russian DE blades are on the market, they came from only two factories.

One in St. Petersburg and the other in Moscow.
Decided to list which DE blades are from which city and company.

St. Petersburg vs Moscow Russian blades.

Via St. Petersburg by Gillette/ZAO Petersburg Int.

Gillette Silver Blue (light blue)

Gillette Platinum (dark blue)

Gillette Rubie Platinum

Perma-Sharp

Iridium super

Astra Super Stainless (blue)

Astra Super Platinum (green)

Sputnik

Polsilver

Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Stainless (green)

Gillette 7 O’Clock Sharp Edge (yellow)

Nacet

Via Moscow by JSC Mostochlegmash :

Voskhod
Rapira Platinum Lux

Rapira Swedish Supersteel

Rapira Stainless Chrome

Rapira Super Stainless

Ladas

Sharp Star

There is also a “White Box” Gillette Platinum from St. Petersburg that some users allege differs from the blue box Platinum and the Rubie Platinum.

1 1,086
 03-18-2016, 10:33 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
yeah i did the sane research for he forum i moderate, and actually used all these blades. The amazing thing is: Theres not a BAD russian blade. Not one.

4 447
 03-18-2016, 01:55 PM
User Info
great info on the origins of the blades!

31 737
 03-18-2016, 05:46 PM
User Info
Thanks for putting together this useful and interesting list.  It raises the question:  Are each of these two factories really producing that many different blades?  I know many of us feel they're different, but how many different ways can you make a DE razor blade?

50 6,053
 03-19-2016, 05:42 AM
User Info
My guess is that there are at least two or three main lines of blades but there could be endless different coatings.  I remember reading that Personna in Israel is willing to make blades for private label with customized coating and that a poster on another forum claims to have had several thousand blades made for him personally.  So in addition to the same blade being used with different names (highly likely for some of those from Peter) there could be minor or major variations with respect to the final coating they apply.

Some people have claimed that the NOS 7 O'Clock Blues are identical or quite similar to GSB.  They might have taken the same blade and used a slightly different wash or final coating.

7 84
 03-22-2016, 04:32 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Well, from that list I can tell you I dearly love the St. Petersberg factory, but Moscow is dubious for me. Smile

BTW, where are the 7 0'Clock Blacks made?

2 1,683
 03-22-2016, 04:36 PM
User Info
(03-18-2016, 10:33 AM)Gago Wrote: yeah i did the sane research for he forum i moderate, and actually used all these blades. The amazing thing is: Theres not a BAD russian blade. Not one.

After I run a GSB or GP across my face, I need to go to the hospital for a blood transfusion. Ive tried them in 4 different razors with the same result each time. 

With the Rapiras, Voskhods, Sputniks, etc, not one problem. Very interesting

0 517
 03-22-2016, 04:38 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Was there any intrinsic difference between a Ford and it's counterpart Mercury? Does anyone miss Plymouths? There are products from our industrial past and many current small companies where the work of specific employees are highly desired on products supposedly identical. My online platonic
GF Yasha will put on her Natasha Fatale trenchcoat and find out more.

2 3,171
 03-23-2016, 07:48 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(03-22-2016, 04:38 PM)kav Wrote: Was there any intrinsic difference between a Ford and it's counterpart Mercury? Does anyone miss Plymouths? There are products from our industrial past and many current small companies where the work of specific employees are highly desired on products supposedly identical. My online platonic
GF Yasha will put on her Natasha Fatale trenchcoat and find out more.

I miss Plymouths. Hemi Cuda's ruled our Saturday night drags. Unfortunately I had a Chevy.

7 2,322