03-17-2016, 05:42 PM
User Info
Can anyone recommend any brush in the "Chubby" line that is not extremely high priced. I'm a poor guy. Just want a brush with a short loft and short handle. I'm not a tight wad but not near ready to spend $150.00 - $200.00 for a brush. Thanks in advance for your input guy's. Smile

0 72
 03-17-2016, 05:46 PM
User Info
(03-17-2016, 05:42 PM)eaglewing1959 Wrote: Can anyone recommend any brush in the "Chubby" line that is not extremely high priced. I'm a poor guy. Just want a brush with a short loft and short handle. I'm not a tight wad but not near ready to spend $150.00 - $200.00 for a brush. Thanks in advance for your input guy's. Smile
Get in contact with one of our artisans.  They can make you a Chubby style handle and set a great knot in it for a very fair price.  I've worked with Rudy Vey in the past, who does a great job, but there is also Brad Sears and Doug Korn that come to mind as well that make very beautiful and fairly priced brushes.

74 2,273
 03-17-2016, 06:08 PM
User Info
Agree. And Rudy does a great job and the brush will be uniquely yours, not mass produced. He made me a reasonably priced chubby style brush not long ago and I use it at least 3 times a week. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 25
 03-17-2016, 07:30 PM
User Info
Great advice, above and good luck. Shy

83 21,077
 03-17-2016, 08:01 PM
User Info
I'd go with one of the artisans for a natural brush, but if synth is what your after - perhaps this (it's between a chubby 1 & 2):

[Image: a0C73hV.jpg]

28 1,084
 03-17-2016, 10:17 PM
User Info
The Epsilon brand is what I would choose if you want a high-grade badger experience and the Chubby experience in the retail experience. Excellent price for the product, and retail new, that is the closest I feel you can get to it. New I think you can get it under 120. Look in the forums here for coupon codes as there is a 10% coupon code.  If you don't mind used, Epsilon's come up for sale often too. I also forgot, but they have Epsilon brushes in horse hair which can be had for more palatable prices of under 45 dollars.

Getting the full chubby experience though I feel you really need to go with Simpson. A Chubby 2 in best is very nice, and they made the chubby the icon it is. I went the used route for my Chubby 2 in best and don't regret it one bit. I forget what I paid but something like a benjamin. 

I've tried TGN knots and other cheaper types, and find great interest in whenever the flavor of the month comes around for a knot, but I've never found many knots that I like that don't come from the established brands. Perhaps I'm stuck up. I've found the established brands more to my liking overall. This is just my opinion though. 

Having an artisan make a custom brush is an excellent route to go as well. They make some excellent handles that I love. I just have problems describing what I'd like. I find I'm best served by viewing what's been made and going with a concept similar, or even better yet, just purchasing that exact brush if it's possible.

If you are good with synthetic, the Plisson type knots I have found to be very much to my liking as of late, and they can be obtained for a cheap price. The one listed above looks good, and probably with a better liked handle. I recently purchased a Razorock Plissoft Monster brush, and while not in the shape of a chubby, it has the girth mindset of a chubby brush. I know in another posting here the handle wasn't aesthetically to some's liking, but performance wise I like this brush very much. I'd always wanted this type of knot with a nice beefy knot, at least 24mm but 26mm seemed ideal. The handle could give me issues sometimes in terms of grip I feel, but the performance is very much to my liking.

Are there any areas of restriction that could help us narrow it down further for you? Does it need to specifically be badger, or are you open to other grades of hair? Is used out of the question? Might not seem as glamorous, but when you can get more brushes for a cheaper price it sure makes up for it. I hope that you'll find a great brush for yourself!

23 632
 03-17-2016, 11:09 PM
User Info
Just had this made. 55 for the handle and 36 for the knot. It's a 30mm Manchurian. [Image: mdutivq.jpg]

0 24
 03-18-2016, 02:11 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
If you're prepared to consider a used brush keep an eye out for a New Forest Tubby1 or Tubby2.  Unfortunately Fido, the proprietor of New Forest Brushes, retired last year thus new Tubbies are no longer available unless you stumble across an NOS.

7 909
 03-18-2016, 04:38 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Vie-long is the closest density wise. Shavemac makes them very soft. 

The Simpson duke is very close handle wise. 

Nothing I have tried duplicates a chubby 1 or 2 feel

7 450
 03-18-2016, 07:43 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
For a genuine, real deal Chubby experience, try a CH1 in Best.

7 2,143
 03-18-2016, 07:45 AM
User Info
(03-17-2016, 11:09 PM)michaelkennedy Wrote: Just had this made. 55 for the handle and 36 for the knot. It's a 30mm Manchurian. [Image: mdutivq.jpg]
That's sweet!  Congratulations!

61 3,796
 03-18-2016, 07:59 AM
User Info
While not as close to a Simpson Chubby as say, the Vie-Long Epsilon, a mid priced option is the Razorock Chubby, made by Zenith.  It's 60 bucks and has received good reviews from members here.  I don't think you'll get as close to a Chubby-like badger experience for less money.  

OTOH, I also have the Stirling Kong synthetic, and along with the Razorock Monster (same brush basically), you will get a huge plush brush that makes lather in seconds while face lathering.  The handle is a little big for me, but otherwise the brush is amazing.  

Good luck!

11 973
 03-18-2016, 08:01 AM
User Info
(03-17-2016, 11:09 PM)michaelkennedy Wrote: Just had this made. 55 for the handle and 36 for the knot. It's a 30mm Manchurian. [Image: mdutivq.jpg]

Looks awesome!  Who made it for you?

11 973
 03-18-2016, 01:23 PM
User Info
Rudy Vey with a tgn finest set a touch low would be my vote, great brush for the money. A used Simpson is another option as they occasionally come up for a nice price on bst.

60 1,519
 03-18-2016, 01:56 PM
User Info
If you watch the BST Chubby 2s in best often come up for sale.   I know personally I bought and sold one for 90 ( I wish I didn't sell it).

90 899
 03-18-2016, 01:57 PM
User Info
(03-18-2016, 08:01 AM)surfshaver Wrote:

Looks awesome!  Who made it for you?
James Ortega on Facebook. He's probably here, just not sure his name.

0 24
 03-18-2016, 05:03 PM
User Info
(03-17-2016, 10:17 PM)kooshman7 Wrote: The Epsilon brand is what I would choose if you want a high-grade badger experience and the Chubby experience in the retail experience. Excellent price for the product, and retail new, that is the closest I feel you can get to it. New I think you can get it under 120. Look in the forums here for coupon codes as there is a 10% coupon code.  If you don't mind used, Epsilon's come up for sale often too. I also forgot, but they have Epsilon brushes in horse hair which can be had for more palatable prices of under 45 dollars.

Getting the full chubby experience though I feel you really need to go with Simpson. A Chubby 2 in best is very nice, and they made the chubby the icon it is. I went the used route for my Chubby 2 in best and don't regret it one bit. I forget what I paid but something like a benjamin. 

I've tried TGN knots and other cheaper types, and find great interest in whenever the flavor of the month comes around for a knot, but I've never found many knots that I like that don't come from the established brands. Perhaps I'm stuck up. I've found the established brands more to my liking overall. This is just my opinion though. 

Having an artisan make a custom brush is an excellent route to go as well. They make some excellent handles that I love. I just have problems describing what I'd like. I find I'm best served by viewing what's been made and going with a concept similar, or even better yet, just purchasing that exact brush if it's possible.

If you are good with synthetic, the Plisson type knots I have found to be very much to my liking as of late, and they can be obtained for a cheap price. The one listed above looks good, and probably with a better liked handle. I recently purchased a Razorock Plissoft Monster brush, and while not in the shape of a chubby, it has the girth mindset of a chubby brush. I know in another posting here the handle wasn't aesthetically to some's liking, but performance wise I like this brush very much. I'd always wanted this type of knot with a nice beefy knot, at least 24mm but 26mm seemed ideal. The handle could give me issues sometimes in terms of grip I feel, but the performance is very much to my liking.

Are there any areas of restriction that could help us narrow it down further for you? Does it need to specifically be badger, or are you open to other grades of hair? Is used out of the question? Might not seem as glamorous, but when you can get more brushes for a cheaper price it sure makes up for it. I hope that you'll find a great brush for yourself!

I have and just purchased the Razorock Monster as well. I love it. It is big but feels great in the hand and loads great also. I have several brushes. I just want one like the Chubby. A good used brush is definitely not out of the question.

0 72
 03-19-2016, 05:38 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I had that RazoRock chubby, even did a review of it here. Yes, it's Chubby-esque. It's a good value brush for one's first foray into large, dense knots - it got me interested in trying other large, dense knots. That said, once I got in with Epsilon 2&3 bands and my first CH2, the RR sat on the sidelines while everyone else was picked to play, even my sturdier 22-26 mm knots. Although big and soft, the RR lacked equivalent backbone to all my other options.

7 2,143