03-17-2016, 06:56 PM
User Info
Fougère... What have you tried, and what do you like?
Balms? 
Splashes?
EDT?
...?

I own and love Penhaligon's English Fern EDT. I also own and really like B&M Fougère Classique. For Balms, I own CRSW Fougère Moderne, and well, it's a little too moderne for my taste.

I am looking to find some new Fougère scents. What do yo recommend? Claus, I am REALLY looking forward to your response. 

I've heard some chatter about Queen Charlotte Soaps Fougère aftershave balm. Anyone try this? Do you recommend it? 

Ginger's Garden Fougère Fern splash? Tried it? Like it?

1 309
 03-17-2016, 07:23 PM
User Info
Volobra I like.

I agree that the CRSW felt too bright for me. Not very earthy. 
It's nice and clean, but not traditional which I do enjoy.

I'd like to try more Fougere.
Maybe Houbigant some day. Never know.

7 1,311
 03-18-2016, 04:41 PM
User Info
My favorites have been the B&M fougères. However, I was reaching for Beaudelaire more often than Imperiale, so I got rid of Imperiale. I'll definitely be getting more Beaudelaire with the re-release. Fougère Classique was a great aftershave.

I also love Brut. Reef Point Intrepid was close, but looking for something closer.

Edit: I've also tried CRSW Fougère Moderne, Tiki Fougère, and Shaver Heaven Forbidden Forest. All were too bright or sweet for me

Edit 2: oops. Not a soap thread. Oh, well - I still stand by my B&M and Brut votes. Especially since the Beaudelaire re-release includes a splash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 107
 03-18-2016, 04:56 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
Vintage Faberge Brut "Lotion" from the 60s and 70s. Back then, I don't think they focused on the EdT/aftershave distinction. Great stuff. 

As to modern EdTs, I'd go with Habit Rouge and Grey Flannel.

5 316
 03-18-2016, 06:13 PM
User Info
Yuk. Grey Flannel did not work with me.

Smelled like old powdery I don't know what.

Hated it. Gave it to a gal at work for her teenage son who loved it.

Goes to show not all scents are for everyone or noone either.

7 1,311
 03-19-2016, 07:36 AM
User Info
I've got a related question: I'm a huge fan of Barrister & Mann's Fougere Aromatique soap and from what I remember it is inspired by Invasion Barbare.

I have not actually smelled IB since my days of "chasing" expensive scents are past and also I don't wear EdT/EdPs anymore. Can anyone who has experience with either IB or B&M FA recommend a complementary aftershave splash or balm? I know that B&M's now-discontinued Fougere splash was not a match but more of a "cousin."

84 1,505
 03-19-2016, 08:11 AM
User Info
So poking around I found a couple of items that interest me. 

Chatillon Lux La Forêt de Liguest and Country Club for Men Classic Fougere (they also have a Modern Fougere)

Anybody have any experience with either of these?

1 309
 03-19-2016, 03:07 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
English Fern is hard to beat.  Trumper's Wild Fern is also nice and done in the same classic style as EF.
Saponificio Varesino Felce is also a very well done Fougere.  Soap & Balm.  To me, this is the nicest of the fougere scents from an artisan, aside from MdC Fougere soap.
If you can find any vintage Romeo Gigli aftershave & balm give it a try.  Wonderful 1990's Fougere.
Houbigant Fougere Royal EdP is the nicest fougere currently produced, in my opinion. Spend the $$$...it's worth it.

Many enjoy Penhaligon's Sartorial......it's what I would consider a more modern Fougere...nothing like English Fern.  I think it is very pleasant but I prefer the scents listed above...but it's something you really should sample if you are interested in a modern fougere.

159 1,315
 03-19-2016, 04:24 PM
User Info
(03-19-2016, 03:07 PM)Steelman Wrote: Many enjoy Penhaligon's Sartorial......it's what I would consider a more modern Fougere...nothing like English Fern.  I think it is very pleasant but I prefer the scents listed above...but it's something you really should sample if you are interested in a modern fougere.

I've heard Sartorial compared with Invasion Barbare which would be nice since it is a full range of shaving and post-shave products and substantially less than IB. Then I've also heard that it's nothing like IB.

I might end up trying Sartorial to see if it's what I'm looking for.

84 1,505