03-19-2016, 06:43 PM
User Info
Well I picked this up in the wild today. Just sold as a vintage razor, I figured it was silver plated due to the patina but I had no idea I stumbled into a complete cased 1st ever, first year aristocrat. My first aristocrat ever as well. I never had a strong interest for vintage safeties until I tried a gold Gillette new and  received one of the smoothest shaves to date.
This set had a top that seems to have snapped off, bottom of the case is cracked in 1 cornerboth blade blanks, velvets in nice shape. One blade bank is loaded with blades, most likely used, the other has 2 wrappers with 3 blades, writing is solid on blade blanks. Razor shows nice patina with some possible flea bites on the top cap, all teeth are there and straight as can be. There are no cracks anywhere on the razor, should clean up very nice. Can't wait to try this one out!
Pat Nov.13 04
Serial number c49203

[Image: 9pR6OJH.jpg][Image: hcdaStb.jpg][Image: mMGJUwz.jpg]

28 779
 03-19-2016, 07:12 PM
User Info
Nice. I always wanted to find one of them, but never did.

18 586
 03-19-2016, 07:30 PM
User Info
I was lucky, it was a 15000 square foot building, I scoured it head to toe and settled on this beauty for 25

28 779
 03-19-2016, 08:05 PM
User Info
Very nice.

The blade holders are very rare to find with the razor.

Congratulations!

9 1,410
 03-20-2016, 04:57 PM
User Info
(03-19-2016, 08:05 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: Very nice.

The blade holders are very rare to find with the razor.

Congratulations!

[Image: 0mKGpr6.jpg]

Thank you, definitely have that covered! My issues are with the case. Any idea on how this one shaves?

28 779
 03-20-2016, 05:18 PM
User Info
Shaves just like any old type.

Aggressive and not always perfect centering on modern blades. Just hold the end tabs as you tighten it and look at each side is even.

Use the tin foil and salt trick if you're interested in shining it up.

Google how to use tinfoil to remove tarnish on silver. Foil, salt, boiling water. It will stink like sulphur, so open a window.

It actually reverts some of the tarnish back to silver. Doesn't just rub it off like polish alone will.

If it's your first old type, you'll like it. No pressure. Hahahaaaa.

It's not like a cheese grater, but it's a biter if you don't pay attention.

It's basically a single ring with a fancy knob and a cool set of accessories.

Looks to be in nice shape.

9 1,410
 03-20-2016, 10:59 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Instead of salt, try bicarbonate of soda. Bi-carb. Works well with the foil and boiling water method. It's a beautiful razor. Congratulations. A work of art, really.

0 1,768
 03-21-2016, 05:39 AM
User Info
I'm with Shaun on this one.  

First, clean it with dish soap and water.  Several times.  

Then, get a pot, line it with aluminum foil, non-shiny side up.  Stick a teaspoon of so of baking soda in it, and put the razor in there, too.  In a separate pan, heat up a cup or two of water almost to boiling.  Then, pour the hot water over the razor/baking soda/aluminum foil container.  It will bubble for awhile.  Let the razor sit in the mixture for 5 or 10 minutes, then take it out and dry it.  

If there is still some tarnish, do it again.  Repeat, with a little light hand-polishing with a microfiber cloth, until it shines like new.  

Great score, by the way, especially for that price.  I love the handle on that beast.

2 1,459
 03-21-2016, 06:49 AM
User Info
(03-19-2016, 06:43 PM)Safelysimpson Wrote: Well I picked this up in the wild today. Just sold as a vintage razor, I figured it was silver plated due to the patina but I had no idea I stumbled into a complete cased 1st ever, first year aristocrat. My first aristocrat ever as well. I never had a strong interest for vintage safeties until I tried a gold Gillette new and  received one of the smoothest shaves to date.
This set had a top that seems to have snapped off, bottom of the case is cracked in 1 cornerboth blade blanks, velvets in nice shape. One blade bank is loaded with blades, most likely used, the other has 2 wrappers with 3 blades, writing is solid on blade blanks. Razor shows nice patina with some possible flea bites on the top cap, all teeth are there and straight as can be. There are no cracks anywhere on the razor, should clean up very nice. Can't wait to try this one out!
Pat Nov.13 04
Serial number c49203
Try it on a shim. The old blades are thicker than the later thin blades, which were introduced concurrent with the Tech. To approximate thickness, use a shim, and the razor becomes a lot more civilized of a shaver.

4 180
 03-21-2016, 06:26 PM
User Info
(03-20-2016, 05:18 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: Shaves just like any old type.

Aggressive and not always perfect centering on modern blades. Just hold the end tabs as you tighten it and look at each side is even.

Use the tin foil and salt trick if you're interested in shining it up.

Google how to use tinfoil to remove tarnish on silver. Foil, salt, boiling water. It will stink like sulphur, so open a window.

It actually reverts some of the tarnish back to silver. Doesn't just rub it off like polish alone will.

If it's your first old type, you'll like it. No pressure. Hahahaaaa.

It's not like a cheese grater, but it's a biter if you don't pay attention.

It's basically a single ring with a fancy knob and a cool set of accessories.

Looks to be in nice shape.
Sounds like it should make a fine addition to the den. I do have an ABC pocket edition but have never tried it, the handle is quite ornate and unique on that one as well.
(03-20-2016, 10:59 PM)Shaun Wrote: Instead of salt, try bicarbonate of soda. Bi-carb. Works well with the foil and boiling water method. It's a beautiful razor. Congratulations. A work of art, really.
This is the method I went with, thanks for the suggestion and I agree, I love the handle, very nimble as well
(03-21-2016, 05:39 AM)kingfisher Wrote: I'm with Shaun on this one.  

First, clean it with dish soap and water.  Several times.  

Then, get a pot, line it with aluminum foil, non-shiny side up.  Stick a teaspoon of so of baking soda in it, and put the razor in there, too.  In a separate pan, heat up a cup or two of water almost to boiling.  Then, pour the hot water over the razor/baking soda/aluminum foil container.  It will bubble for awhile.  Let the razor sit in the mixture for 5 or 10 minutes, then take it out and dry it.  

If there is still some tarnish, do it again.  Repeat, with a little light hand-polishing with a microfiber cloth, until it shines like new.  

Great score, by the way, especially for that price.  I love the handle on that beast.
+1 followed these exact directions, thank you. And I love the handle too, overall the entire razor design is beautiful, slowly becoming a favorite the more I look at it
(03-21-2016, 06:49 AM)vmarks Wrote: Try it on a shim. The old blades are thicker than the later thin blades, which were introduced concurrent with the Tech. To approximate thickness, use a shim, and the razor becomes a lot more civilized of a shaver.

Now typically shimming a razor would add blade exposure, which in turns give more blade feel and 'aggression'. I've never tried a shim so I'm a bit of a novice there. May have to give it a try though

28 779
 03-21-2016, 06:30 PM
User Info
[Image: wlZ1lf0.jpg][Image: TXFnpgq.jpg][Image: Ocj7jLv.jpg][Image: WcBH8Xx.jpg]

This is after 1 soak in the boiling water/baking soda mix. Its like magic, I'll most likely be doing a soak tomorrow night as well. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

28 779