07-21-2012, 10:06 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1240777.JPG?m=1342892791]

If you read this thread Geo F Trumper Almond shaving soap you already know that D.R. Harris and Geo F Trumper offer two Almond shaving soap which almond scent differs a lot from the Italian shaving soaps sweet/bitter almond scent.

The D.R. Harris shaving soap has the best Almond scent I have tried,even when to me,doesnt smells like Almonds at all.Its scent its like wet soil after a summer storm : fresh and crisp.Yes,this is how I will defy this scent.The shaving cream,in the other hand,smells like the Italian "croaps" sweet/bitter almond scent.

[Image: P1240781.JPG?m=1342892792]

This soap comes on a refill puck of a 100g or in a wooden shaving bowl (both in beech or mahogany) and a refill puck of 100 g.

Its ingredient list is :

[Image: P1240782.JPG?m=1342892833]

so you can see that this soap contains tallow,as well as palm oil,petrolatum and "prunus dulcis",which is "sweet almond oil".I remember reading something regarding "Prunus Dulcis" being the scent,more than the oil,but I can tell you that the lather from this soap is very slick,but that could be since it has petrolatum on it.

And how is the lather and how does it shaves?I dont discover anything new when I say that D.R. Harris are possibly the best shaving soaps made in UK (the Czech and Speake ones are made in Italy) with the Mitchell's Wool Fat and both lather and skin care wise are almost perfect.

I made lather out of this soap with not effort at all,and is very slick,as well as dense,thick and compact.Here is a pic with a Semogue LE 2010 selected silvertip brush :

[Image: P1240791.JPG?m=1342893160]

and here another pic of the lather :

[Image: P1240792.JPG?m=1342893164]

This is one of the soaps with tallow which are very easy to make lather from,so no problem here.Also,of the 4 D.R. Harris shaving soaps,I would say that this is the one which provides me with a better skin care,but the others are great too,I must say.

Yes,D.R. Harris are the soaps that I can recommend with my eyes closed and no hesitation if you are looking for a quality Made In UK shaving soap.

86 7,123
 07-21-2012, 10:42 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Thanks for another amazing soap review!!!

If I may,a question; how does this rinse off? Does it remain with a slickness after rinsing?

I ask because of the petrolatum included.

Thanks again!

6 905
 07-21-2012, 10:54 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(07-21-2012, 10:42 AM)EHV Wrote: Thanks for another amazing soap review!!!

If I may,a question; how does this rinse off? Does it remain with a slickness after rinsing?

I ask because of the petrolatum included.

Thanks again!

No,no residue left,my friend.If rinses of like any other shaving soap,no problem at all.

86 7,123
 07-21-2012, 12:14 PM
User Info
Man, Teiste, where do you get all of your items to review. It seems like you have an endless supply, my friend. Hee hee.

75 20,883
 07-21-2012, 12:31 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(07-21-2012, 12:14 PM)celestino Wrote: Man, Teiste, where do you get all of your items to review. It seems like you have an endless supply, my friend. Hee hee.

This one came from our friend Brothers and the B/S/T section.Biggrin

86 7,123
 07-21-2012, 01:40 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Agreed, this is a good soap. I wouldn't know how to describe the scent of this soap other than very light and inoffensive. Very nice performance though.

12 743
 07-21-2012, 01:56 PM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
After buying and loving bowls of Arlington and Lavender, I was greatly disappointed with my stick of Almond. It has no scent at all and I don't think the performance is as good as the pucks. For my next Harris soap purchase I'm going back to puck.

0 204
 07-21-2012, 02:05 PM
  • Craig
  • Not a ragin Cajun; a mild mannered one
  • Astoria, NYC
User Info
I tried the puck a few months ago. It was a fantastic soap, but I could not stand the scent! Smelled more like burnt almonds to me. It worked as great as any other DRH soap, but the scent was too much.

As always, YMMV.

6 119
 07-21-2012, 03:03 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Interesting answers.
I dont have any problems with the sticks,and actually,I even sometimes use the puck as a stick,by rubbing it on my stubble.
The scent,of course,is a personal choice/like/dislike,but what I cant stand are the Italian shaving soap almond scents anymore (a pity,to be honest) while this one or the Geo F Trumper are just fine/very good for me.

86 7,123
 07-21-2012, 03:57 PM
User Info
Harris Almond smells like a Vanilla Shake to me, nice and mild.

Who doesn't like Vanilla Shakes?Biggrin

1 63
 07-21-2012, 06:26 PM
User Info
From earlier exploration of the scent of D.R. Harris almond soap on other forae, the consensus I found was that the scent is eau de quinine. A very clean but not strong smell, and certainly not of almond in the common sense. Believe the "almond" is completely in reference to the oil ingredient, and that the scent is a old, traditional British one.

3 543
 07-22-2012, 04:10 AM
User Info
(07-21-2012, 06:26 PM)john parker Wrote: From earlier exploration of the scent of D.R. Harris almond soap on other forae, the consensus I found was that the scent is eau de quinine. A very clean but not strong smell, and certainly not of almond in the common sense. Believe the "almond" is completely in reference to the oil ingredient, and that the scent is a old, traditional British one.

I agree, eau de quinine is the scent of the soap. It grew on me and I find it a refreshing break from the sweeter Italian scents.

0 433