07-21-2012, 10:18 AM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
A question for the Brush Aficionado crowd.

How do you compare the Manchurian to the Plisson HMW and the Original M&F Blonde Badger 2 band?

5 270
 07-21-2012, 10:41 AM
User Info
Plisson HMW may come from badgers from Europe. Two band brushes, AFAIK come from a different species of badger, the hog badger. That said, it is possible the M. meles badger can produce hair that has that very large black band.

The ebay seller advertising Manchurian FS brushes is just using it as a keyword ploy. AFAIK only Simpsons has used the term Manchurian badger. Please enlighten me if the term is used by another brush maker.

9 2,988
 07-21-2012, 12:13 PM
User Info
i wish i could help you out, Ray. i would love to try a used Manchurian some day.

75 20,883
 07-21-2012, 12:21 PM
User Info
I've not tried HMW but I prefer Blonde to Manchurian.

For me though, Simpson 2 band is better than blonde.

7 1,179
 07-21-2012, 12:40 PM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
I prefer the Blonde over EW (European white) and Simpsons 2 Band. Haven't tried the Manchurian nor HMW. For me a good example of Best is better than 2 Band.

5 270
 07-21-2012, 07:36 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Some quick thoughts as I'm rushing out the door with my children to play in the park...

Unfortunately there is no standardisation of hair grades across brush manufacturers.

Both Plisson HMW and Simpsons Manchurian are described as "High Mountain White" badger.

Both hairs share the characteristic of backbone through the strength of individual hairs as opposed to relying on volume.

The Plisson knots are generally of a higher loft and less densely stuffed than the Simpsons Manchurian providing for a different experience.

A comparison...

[attachment=4152]
Plisson HMW

[attachment=4153]
Simpsons Manchurian

My Plisson HMW are more 3 band, while my Simpsons Manchurians are more 2 band.
Bigger HMW knots versus smaller Manchurian knots.
My HMW are all rather lofty, while my Manchurians are all shorter lofts.
My HMW are not quite as densely stuffed as my Manchurians.
My HMW blooms, while the Manchurian retains a compact shape.
So, there are some immediate reasons for differences in sensation and backbone.

My Plisson HMW exhibit exceptional flow through.
My experience with Simpsons brushes has been that they have a tendency to hold back a little lather.
My experiences with the Manchurian is that it in fact releases the lather rather well, it has greater backbone (density, loft height and knot size are all obvious contributing factors) than the HMW, but exhibits a similar mild scritch from the tips. This sensation is born of the strength of the individual hairs providing resistance when pushed against the face as the tips in themselves are actually quite soft. The Simpsons Manchurian, IMO combines all the best qualities of the Simpsons hair grades.

Although I believe the Plisson HMW and Simpsons Manchurian (SM) to be similar in many ways (but provide unique experiences due to Differences in knot specification), the Blonde Badger as offered by Lee Sabini is IMO a noticeably different beast.

[attachment=4154]
Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger

The Blonde Badger (BB) is an excellent knot, but I would suggest a tier down from the Plisson HMW and the Simpsons Manchurian.

The BB is denser than both the HMW and SM.
The BB is shorter lofted than the HMW.
The BB blooms more than the SM.
They all have soft tips, but the individual hair strength is less than both the HMW and SM.
As expected of a natural product there are differences between batches within a particular grade, given recent reviews this seems particularly evident with BB. That said, all of my BB brushes are in excess of a year old and I myself have experienced little variation.

91 17,857
 07-21-2012, 10:41 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Ben,that was a brilliant answer,my friend.Thanks a lot!

86 7,123
 07-22-2012, 08:34 AM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
Thank you so much Ben for taking the time. Excellent. Just what I was fishing for!

Cheers,

5 270
 07-22-2012, 09:37 AM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
Very helpful indeed.
Vic

32 362
 07-25-2012, 08:50 AM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
Which all leads to me ordering the Classic 1 in Manchurian.....
I couldn't resist.

5 270
 07-25-2012, 09:17 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(07-25-2012, 08:50 AM)xraygun Wrote: Which all leads to me ordering the Classic 1 in Manchurian.....
I couldn't resist.

Congratulation Ray, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Recently I was debating the purchase of a Classic 1 and I ended up buying the Chubby 1 (which I'm extremely pleased with). I still may get a Classic 1, but now I'm after a Chubby 2 first.

I just love the Manchurian hair!

91 17,857
 07-25-2012, 09:36 AM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
I read your posts debating it. The travel case issue and the fact that the Chubby 1 is sold out (I missed out) led me to the Classic.

5 270
 07-25-2012, 05:00 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I think the Classic 1 represents a sound investment...

I'm looking forward to your experiences, I'm sure they will influence me into another purchasing decision...

91 17,857
 07-25-2012, 07:19 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(07-21-2012, 10:18 AM)xraygun Wrote: A question for the Brush Aficionado crowd.

How do you compare the Manchurian to the Plisson HMW and the Original M&F Blonde Badger 2 band?

I have brushes that fit each of these categories: Simpson Manchurian CH2 and T3 (sold a Duke 3), Plisson size 12 HMW with 2-band hair, and several M&Fs with the original batch of Blonde Badger hair.

The hair in all of these brushes is quite different, and I don't have a favorite. But there is a much bigger difference in the knots themselves. My Manchurians have a shorter loft and are packed more densely. The Plisson has the tallest loft relative to the knot diameter and seems to be packed less densely. The Morris & Forndran is somewhere in between, but leans toward the less densely packed end of the spectrum. All three have more of a bulb shape, but the Manchurian and M&F lean slightly toward a fan shape.

I would say the M&F has the softest tips. The Manchurian CH2 has a scrubby, "wall of hair" feel on my face, while maintaining very soft tips. I don't get any scritch from these two. The taller lofted Plisson, on the other hand, has a slight bit of scritch. This is nowhere near the scritch of the Rooney Finest 1/2 I sold. I have tender skin when it comes to scritchy brushes. The Rooney Finest gave me some brush burn, and I sold a Classic 1 Best because it was just a bit too scritchy for me. But the Plisson HMW scritch does not bother me one bit. In fact, I rather enjoy it.

All three do a fantastic job with the lather. I would say the Manchurian requires a little more effort, because it needs more product. The Plisson has great flowthrough, and the M&F is a Goldilocks brush, just right.

As for backbone, none of these brushes are floppy, which kind of surprised me about the tall lofted, less dense Plisson. The HMW hairs are very springy, with good backbone. If you don't jam the brush into your face, the knot maintains a nice form and just the right amount of scrub. The backbone on the Manchurian is greatest of the three, and if you apply pressure, you get a really good amount of scrub or feedback. The M&F is, again, somewhere in between.

When I have some time, I'll post some side-by-side photos.

43 1,690
 07-25-2012, 07:34 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Good thoughts on these great brushes!

91 17,857
 07-25-2012, 09:54 PM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
Great write up thanks Andrew!

5 270
 07-29-2012, 08:10 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
What good is a write-up without photos?

For visual comparison, I selected my 24mm x 54mm Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger, Plisson HMW size 12, and Chubby 2 Manchurian.

[Image: 3HMW2.jpg]

Another view:

[Image: 3HMW1.jpg]

43 1,690
 07-30-2012, 05:08 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
An enviable trio for sure, congratulations Andrew!

91 17,857
 07-31-2012, 07:52 AM
User Info
M&F sound to be the best bang for the buck

2 65
 08-12-2014, 08:48 AM
User Info
Since the last post was 2 years ago, are there any developments?

13 1,313