07-21-2012, 11:04 AM
User Info
OK, so recently I've been considering using a WaterPik as a sort of pressure washer for razor cleaning. TTO razors especially have parts that can't be gotten to easily for cleaning and forcing water in under pressure seems as though it would work.

The first razor I tried it on was a barely working OCMM. That's the worst razor I have that is hard to get inside to clean. OK, so it's impossible to get into to clean it.

I gave it a boil in detergent and after it cooled down gave it the WaterPik treatment. As usual for this razor, after it's cleaned it works even worse. This time it works the worst it's ever worked. I'll give it time to dry out or whatever magic happens each time and come back to it in a month to see if it works again. It always has in the past. So while I tasted it on this razor I don't have results yet. But it did look promising.

I have 4 more TTO razors in the bath and one by one they'll get the same treatment. I've blown these out with 90# compressed air before, so I expect no mechanical surprises other than maybe a little more gunk coming out. (unlike the OCMM)

I did modify the pik portion of the WaterPik though. If you look at the end that plugs into the handle you'll see a pin size hole. I enlarged it to about 1/16" specifically for this operation. There's no reason I can see that you couldn't use a larger drill either. You'd never want to use one so modified inside the mouth, because now it really puts out the water pressure. The handle pressure control also works now, previously the pinhole governed the pressure more than the handle adjuster did.

I'll keep this updated as I get more results.

Edit: Update

I just finished the other 4 TTO razors and I don't quite know what to make of the results but I think I know why I got what I did.

3 of the razors came out of storage and had been cleaned prior to going into storage. I expected nothing to come out of them and that's exactly what I got - nothing. But I had blown them out with air immediately after washing.

The Slim I use for my SOTD I got all sorts of crud out of. But not out of the handle area. From under the rectangular plate under the head. So does it work, yes. But if you have access to compressed air it isn't needed. I have no idea what a WaterPik sells for, probably a buck at a yard sale, it's a lot less expensive than an air compressor, smaller too.

32 6,311
 07-21-2012, 12:06 PM
User Info
Looking forward to your results, Brian.

75 20,883
 07-21-2012, 02:30 PM
User Info
By the razor not working optimally after the cleaning, you mean the TTO mechanism, right?
Have you tried applying some oil (WD40 etc) to the razor?

0 54
 07-21-2012, 03:28 PM
User Info
(07-21-2012, 02:30 PM)Oblique Human Wrote: By the razor not working optimally after the cleaning, you mean the TTO mechanism, right?

I wouldn't used WD40, but rahther 3in1 or some other oil.

WD40 is a multi purpose product that does a bunch of things ok, but nothing great.

Never heard of people using a waterpic to clean razors, but have heard of using an Ultra Sonic Cleaner with success.

I just stick with my toothbrush, scrubbing bubble and barbicide.

If I ever seen one for cheap at a garage/yard sale, I may just "pic" one up Biggrin

8 2,718
 07-21-2012, 03:43 PM
User Info
(07-21-2012, 02:30 PM)Oblique Human Wrote: By the razor not working optimally after the cleaning, you mean the TTO mechanism, right?

Yes, the TTO mechanism. The cover closes fine, but it opens with great diificulty and sometimes requires force.

In the past when I'd oil it it would just get worse. At one time I had it in the boneyard waiting to be taken apart to see how it works. I was nosing around it one day and it began working almost normally. I never did figure out why- maybe the gunk in it dried out. So then I decided to be kind and oil it, and it immediately began not working right yet again. So it's back in the boneyard.

WD40 is just deodorized kerosene. It's not really a lubricant. What it is is "Water Displacing formula #40". After the water is displaced then whatever the item is should get oiled. FWIW, in the past I'd use mineral oil, but since reading a thread about razor lube, I don't lube them with anything more than water and soap.

32 6,311
 07-22-2012, 07:09 AM
User Info
YMMV rules everywhere. I haven't had a lot of need to try WD40 but on the 2 occasions I did, it worked out very well. Maybe my razors weren't all that gunked up to begin with.

0 54