03-22-2016, 09:23 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
Like the mother in the Geico TV commercial, this spring we have squirrels in the attic again.  They come in through the vents in the soffits that allow the roof to “breathe,” and if we do not do something when the invasion starts, they bring their boyfriends and girlfriends along and start to breed in the Owens Corning fiberglass insulation, which apparently they find comfy.  The only solution is a lethal poison (Just One Bite) that, theoretically, impels them to seek water outside, where they die and their bodies are then consumed by the local coyote population.  Unfortunately, a small percentage of them (one every two or three years) do not make it all the way outside before croaking, and their bodies end up stuck in inaccessible cavities between the studs in the walls.

This morning, my shaving soap of choice was Provence Santé Green Tea, the pleasant but indescribable scent of which I find very agreeable.   As I returned to the bedroom after shaving, my bride asked me — unusually, as generally she takes little notice of my shaving routine — what shaving soap I had used today.  

“Provence Santé Green Tea; you have never commented before when I used it; do you like the scent?”

“That does a really good job of covering up the smell of the decomposing squirrel carcass,” she replied.

1 1,089
 03-22-2016, 09:40 AM
User Info
Don't use poison. Poisons were used in my area, and they killed lots of frogs, mice, voles, crawdads, etc. 

I live in a Metropolitan area , and there have been few small animals in my area for more than 50 years. 

I wish that all poisons were gotten rid of.

1 442
 03-22-2016, 09:59 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I get everything from squirrels to turkeys to bears in my yard.

7 2,328
 03-22-2016, 10:01 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Buy a few HAVEAHEART live traps. You will then have to kill the animal. Poisons do migrate in several ways into countless non target animals.

2 3,171
 03-22-2016, 12:29 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(03-22-2016, 09:23 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote: Like the mother in the Geico TV commercial, this spring we have squirrels in the attic again.  They come in through the vents in the soffits that allow the roof to “breathe,” and if we do not do something when the invasion starts, they bring their boyfriends and girlfriends along and start to breed in the Owens Corning fiberglass insulation, which apparently they find comfy.  The only solution is a lethal poison (Just One Bite) that, theoretically, impels them to seek water outside, where they die and their bodies are then consumed by the local coyote population.  Unfortunately, a small percentage of them (one every two or three years) do not make it all the way outside before croaking, and their bodies end up stuck in inaccessible cavities between the studs in the walls.

This morning, my shaving soap of choice was Provence Santé Green Tea, the pleasant but indescribable scent of which I find very agreeable.   As I returned to the bedroom after shaving, my bride asked me — unusually, as generally she takes little notice of my shaving routine — what shaving soap I had used today.  

“Provence Santé Green Tea; you have never commented before when I used it; do you like the scent?”

“That does a really good job of covering up the smell of the decomposing squirrel carcass,” she replied.

She didn't answer your question.
Wink

7 2,159
 03-22-2016, 03:23 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-22-2016, 09:40 AM)duck creek Wrote: Don't use poison. Poisons were used in my area, and they killed lots of frogs, mice, voles, crawdads, etc. 

I live in a Metropolitan area , and there have been few small animals in my area for more than 50 years. 

I wish that all poisons were gotten rid of.

The non-use of poison is not a valid choice.  The attic is unfinished, accessible (by humans) only though one tiny trapdoor accessible by a narrow ladder.  There is no floor to walk on in the attic other than a narrow walkway down the middle under the roof beam; the remainder is just the lath and plaster of the ceiling of the rooms below, incapable of weight bearing, covered with fiberglass insulation bats.  The years that we have allowed the squirrels to breed unimpeded in the attic, we have suffered squirrel urine seepage to the ceilings of the rooms of the floor below.  

Kav’s suggestion of Have-a-Heart traps would depend upon being able to access the traps when they are filled:  not possible.  The Just One Bite poison baits that we use are the size and shape of a gorged human male phallus, too large for a squirrel to carry, so the squirrels munch on them in place;

[Image: Vsx6x1h.jpg]

the only poison that escapes the attic is that which is carried in the digestive tracts of the squirrels that seek out water.

1 1,089
 03-22-2016, 06:10 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I used to get squirrels on top my roof and they made a lot of noise running around. It was quite annoying. To get rid of them I had to trim some branches of nearby trees that they used to jump onto and off the roof.

2 517
 03-23-2016, 03:39 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
Here's one of my last little kids. Her name was Clara. Her brother, Bugsy, being a boy, left once he was an adult to stake out his own territory elsewhere. Clara hung around even had a few litters of her own in our cat carrier in our garage.
[Image: 5U8Ahcb.jpg]

7 2,328
 03-23-2016, 03:46 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
[Image: yeScPe5.jpg]
I mentioned bears too. Here's Yogi.

7 2,328
 03-25-2016, 06:15 AM
  • UnCL3
  • Dallas, TexUS
User Info
(03-22-2016, 09:23 AM)Mel S Mele Wrote: “That does a really good job of covering up the smell of the decomposing squirrel carcass,” she replied.

OMG! THAT is too funny. SWMBO rekt compliment   Scared

3 61
 04-05-2016, 02:37 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I don't know about squirrels, but we live in a trailer. The bottom of the trailer is insulated using a thick wrap between the fiberglas insulation and the bottom side of the floor. We have skirting around the bottom of the trailer, but animals always burrow under and get in there to make a home, or a bed.
Invariably in the late summer months I will begin to smell them. They crawl under the trailer and get between that insulation and the bottom of the flooring, to give birth, or just to keep warm. Then they cannot find their way back out, starve and die. You have to physically crawl under, and try to find them.
The thick woven wrap holding the insulation to the bottom does a really good job of blocking the smell from underneath, so you cannot use your nose; you have to probe for them. Crawl around under there pushing on things until you find the body. Then you cut it out, and hope it does not fall in your face.
Problem is, the flooring is thick enough that it takes a while before you start smelling them, so they are fairly well along in the process when you go looking. One year I pulled 5 or 6 possums out from under there. One with several young. I don't know how bad a decaying squirrel carcass is; it cannot be pleasant. But I can sympathize.
I have completely redone the skirting, made certain that everything is tight, tight. I am hoping this will bode well for the coming summer. We shall see.
Might need some of that soap.

2 1,683