03-22-2016, 10:28 PM
User Info
so i fell today (stupid fall to) and broke the collar bone and separated the shoulder (grade 3), anyone here break the collarbone? and if so what did they do for it? they are saying just to sling it and wait. the break looked pretty bad on the xray (im not a doc though) and ill be going to see an ortho who is a good friend tomm for a second opinion of the er doc. but the er doc said they rarely do surgery anymore and use a sling to help keep the bones lined up?

heck though i have to say this is a close second to breaking the femur pain wise. never thought the collar bone would be this bad. i come from a LONG line of extreme sports and have broke dang nearly everything at some point just luckily i guess never the collarbone and spine. but man this thing sucks to break. my heal bone i think would also be just a hair above this pain wise. the femur was just near unbearable and i have a really high pain tolerance they tell me. broke 4 ribs once while sparring (full contact Box ) and they were nothing compared to the femur and this. hard to even breath and forget sneezing or coughing... the ribs were not nearly as bad lol. just took forever to fully heal.

so i feel like a mess right now i already had 2 small fractures the one of my tibia's and a fractured metatarsal in the right foot from board /  cement breaking. those are like nothing imo pain wise. dont want to slow down (i currently train tae kwon do (chung do kwan), akido, muay thai, some kenpo and gung fu) but i think my body may be trying to tell me its tired at almost 40 lol. Angry sucks getting older   Facepalm

16 660
 03-23-2016, 01:13 AM
User Info
Haven't broken any bones myself (yet), but a coworker snapped his collarbone a few years back and had to wear a sling of sorts (it looked much like this) for a good three weeks before it healed.

On the upside he learned from his mistakes, and he also got real good at typing using only his left hand  Biggrin

3 4,494
 03-23-2016, 05:44 AM
User Info
(03-22-2016, 10:28 PM)mastershake Wrote: so i fell today (stupid fall to) and broke the collar bone and separated the shoulder (grade 3), anyone here break the collarbone? and if so what did they do for it? they are saying just to sling it and wait. the break looked pretty bad on the xray (im not a doc though) and ill be going to see an ortho who is a good friend tomm for a second opinion of the er doc. but the er doc said they rarely do surgery anymore and use a sling to help keep the bones lined up?

heck though i have to say this is a close second to breaking the femur pain wise. never thought the collar bone would be this bad. i come from a LONG line of extreme sports and have broke dang nearly everything at some point just luckily i guess never the collarbone and spine. but man this thing sucks to break. my heal bone i think would also be just a hair above this pain wise. the femur was just near unbearable and i have a really high pain tolerance they tell me. broke 4 ribs once while sparring (full contact Box ) and they were nothing compared to the femur and this. hard to even breath and forget sneezing or coughing... the ribs were not nearly as bad lol. just took forever to fully heal.

so i feel like a mess right now i already had 2 small fractures the one of my tibia's and a fractured metatarsal in the right foot from board /  cement breaking. those are like nothing imo pain wise. dont want to slow down (i currently train tae kwon do (chung do kwan), akido, muay thai, some kenpo and gung fu) but i think my body may be trying to tell me its tired at almost 40 lol. Angry sucks getting older   Facepalm

Sorry to hear about you collar bone fracture (actually, medically it is called a fractured CLAVICLE). I fractured mine in May of 2010 by hitting one of three dogs at 20 MPH going downhill on my road bike (bicycle). This is a very common injury in cycling, esp. if you 'go over the handlebars', which I did. I also had lots of bruises and 'road rash'. I got an old fashioned back brush to help me in the shower. Most of the pain was from the multiple 'related injuries'. I had to give up on cycling for about 3-4 months. As you noted, NOT much is usually done. I delayed going to the doctor for a week because of this. Then saw an orthopedic surgeaon who only 'monitored' me for a month. My fracture was a BAD one, still nothing was done. My right side has a different 'alignment' now, and it caused some neck problems after about 5 months. This SLOWLY improved, BUT, 'I'll never be the same'. I'm 67 years old, so you should heal quicker ..
Want to hear about my fractured right elbow I 'received' last September by taking a very UN-dramatic fall on my bike?? Had a cast for 3 weeks, off the bike for 7 weeks, but have put in about 1800 miles since then .... not that the early miles were much 'fun'.
Bottom line is: you WILL eventually recover (and learn some new 'skills' with the 'good arm'). Also makes wet shaving much more difficult if it is your 'shaving arm'.
Life ... goes on... and you can't stop doing things, unless you want to be bored!

47 410
 03-23-2016, 06:11 AM
User Info
I got hit by a car while crossing the street, tossed in the air, somersaulted over the hood, windshield and roof, and dumped onto the pavement. Got a broken collarbone from that, and considered myself pretty lucky. Only time I ever broke anything, and a sling was all they fit me with. Afterwards they had to remove bone chips from my rotator cuff and remove a rib since my circulation was being impacted. During thoracic surgery they nicked my lung which of course collapsed, so I was forced to wear an oxygen pack for almost a week until it re-inflated for good. I asked the doctors to stop looking for things to work on after that since enough was enough. I still have limited mobility in my shoulder.

I was the only person on the street at that hour and got hit by the only car. I was always careful, but this guy came out of nowhere. I still look both ways before I cross, and then I don't cross. Hope your recovery goes smoothly.

29 1,776
 03-23-2016, 06:31 AM
User Info
Sorry about the break! I hope you can shave with your other arm Smile.

0 638
 03-23-2016, 06:58 AM
User Info
Definitely see your ortho friend, but from what I've seen they have drastically cut back on clavicle surgeries for simple fractures. With the grade 3 AC separation you will have a lot of instability in the entire shoulder girdle which will contribute to the pain. A sling is a good way to get some pressure off to allow the bone to heal. The separation won't heal much since that's usually a ligament tear, but managing inflammation and swelling is crucial. Things change rapidly in the healthcare field though so who knows. Nothing wrong with 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc opinions. It is your body and you do have a say in how to treat it. Just get as much information as you can so you can make the right decision for your life and lifestyle. Your lifestyle and its importance to you could drastically effect which treatments are considered.

31 8,057
 03-23-2016, 07:03 AM
User Info
yeah luckily i use the right hand to shave though i can use the left also but usually do both sides with the right arm. wow seems like this is normal then im shocked with how far out the fracture was that they just sling it. they did say i will have a semi large bump over that shoulder forever now unless i down the line do get the surgery.

some of my past sports i was involved in were ice hockey (people say football is the roughest sport, hah...we once had a linebacker get on the ice and take a full force check and he never came back lol), snowboarding to which i was "paid pro" for just over 2 years and touring with an actual team all over, downhill skiing / slalom, i was involved in aggressive inline skating (lots of you tube and vimeo videos if you are not sure what that is you can check out) and still do some when i feel like getting beat up lol. i used to race motorcycles in the 750 and 1000 class (rode kawi's and some yamaha), and was a fill in for my mom's cousins drag race team as a driver, top fuel and funny cars, only ran the pro stockers a few times since they had other drivers for those), my own import drag car (nissan 300zx tt which was running just around 1000hp) i still do skydiving and squirrel suits when i get the chance, skateboarding in the much earlier days like when christian hosoi was still skating and well known when vert was just becoming a more popular thing. among anything else i could get into or my hands on that got the adrenaline going Biggrin .  im just starting to get into mountain biking now and the ac injury seems all to common with those guys. also been involved in various martial arts since i was 7 years old. have 3 different black belts at different levels. i used to compete nationally back in the early 90's

so my list of breaks, sprains, tears etc is pretty darn long but somehow i was always lucky when i took a fall on the shoulder to never have the collar bone go. when i broke the femur that was a nasty fall snowboarding and the impact was ridiculous.

16 660
 03-23-2016, 07:26 AM
User Info
Sorry about your injury.  I got a clavicle fracture many years ago in an automobile accident and was just treated with sling immobilization while it healed.  I was quite surprised at finding my function so limited during the healing process; I hadn't really realized before that just how crucial the collarbone is to the shoulder joint.

207 12,262
 03-23-2016, 08:21 AM
User Info
sorry for your injury.  reading your post was a reality check for me.  I never knew this much injury was occurring in extreme sports;  maybe I just didn't acknowledge it but damn man you are a billboard for chiropractors and osteo doctors.  sincerely hope it all heals well and you get to continue with your life choices cause I am certain you get a lot of satisfaction from them.  I will now give all x sports more props.

73 1,296
 03-23-2016, 09:46 AM
  • Thug
  • South Africa
User Info
I've had a couple of clavicle breaks and now have a permanent stainless plate with a couple of screws (this plate is now 30 years old) and has funnily enough prevented further breaks.

As akbkr23 says, it's a common cyclist injury. 

Most breaks these days are operated on and a Titanium plates is inserted to aide in knitting the bones together. Generally the plate is removed after 6 months or so.

Good luck with your healing process and recovery.

0 403
 03-23-2016, 09:52 AM
User Info
No.  I wish you a speedy recovery.

61 3,796
 03-23-2016, 11:18 AM
User Info
thanks for the responses and wishes!! saw the second ortho today and he wants me to give it about 2 weeks to see if it will start to settle and line up / start to heal if not by the xrays he said he thinks it might require screwing the clavicle down to the axiom (not sure on spelling there) to fix the grade 3 tear and then pinning the clavicle itself. but then he said there is little chance it will re-occur later

16 660
 03-23-2016, 11:43 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
when you are mobile practice some Tai Chi. People think it's some slow motion aerobics for 80 something Chinese grandmothers. Sped up  it's a martial art. My Roshi- Sensai in Judo and Kendo Introduced me to a master when simple maxio facial injuries from the military made life miserable. That, and I was one of the first
patients of this really weird therapy called acupuncture.

2 3,171
 03-23-2016, 01:22 PM
User Info
Broke mine back in elementary and that was all they had me do. Turned out OK.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

0 94
 03-23-2016, 01:39 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Hopefully Steelman will chime in as I believe that he's an orthopod. Sorry about the break. If you are still getting a lot of movement and pain in that shoulder, you can also use an elastic type bandage around that arm and the chest, in addition to the sling, to immobilize it further until it starts to heal. It's hard to immobilize the shoulder, even with a sling, which is where much of the pain is coming from, just like you can't immobilize a broken rib because you have to breath in and out. You are a dream patient for an orthopod, a chiropractor, and a physical therapist, with all of your injuries. I hope the pain is better soon, and take care.

38 5,108
 03-23-2016, 02:25 PM
User Info
@mastershake, I'm afraid that you break several bones. It must be painful. Wish you calm and a complete recovery.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

1 112
 03-23-2016, 02:59 PM
User Info
More on my fractured clavicle: As I stated before, nothing was really done by the orthopedic surgeon, but he stated that we will just see how it heals, and 'we can always 're-break it' if we need to. Well, I have a rather large 'bump' which slowly gets bigger (and presumably) stronger as time goes by. It also did a lot to 'miss-align' my upper body, which gave me a sore neck for several months (surprisingly that started 5 months AFTER the fracture occurred). Even with hindsight, I don't know if surgery would have been better than doing 'nothing'. I ALSO know that
the injury is almost 6 years old and (other than being limited for several weeks .... just checked my logs, happened on 11 May, 2010 and my next bike ride was 22 June, BUT no real mileage
... less than 100 miles per month till September when I did 300 miles). The neck pain finally subsided over time (chiropractors and massage did NOT really help), and (as in my recent fractured elbow) only TIME and trying to stay ACTIVE seem to really help, and that is NOT without pain and suffering to get better. Also, I will NEVER be as strong as I was 10 years ago, especially at my age of 67. BUT, I have found that by doing something you ENJOY, you can actually get to a better fitness level in certain areas (My bike rides are between 25 and 35 miles and I climb steep hills a lot) my improvements are mostly aerobic (Just saw the doctor for my 'Annual Medicare Wellness Visit': resting heart rate 53 BPM, even have a 'benign heart murmur due to my 'enlarged heart'.

Well, this is getting way off the subject. MOST injuries eventually heal and get better, it is kind of like wet shaving, the more you 'do it' the better it gets (and the better YOU get) and the more you take steps to 'actively heal/excercise' it will improve and, eventually get better. I'll save my 'rotator cuff solution' for some other time ... Smile

47 410
 03-27-2016, 03:24 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Grade 2 a sling is just fine.  Grade 3 you consider fixing it, especially if you are only 40 years old.  If it's your non-dominant arm then no worries just leave it alone.  If it is your dominant arm then see an orthopedic doc who specializes in sports medicine.  What members have said here is true...for years we just "watched" it and most everyone did well.  But the thinking now is to fix grade 3's and 4's for younger people (YES ....40 is young!) particularly if it is your dominant arm.

Hope that helps.

Happy Easter to all!

168 1,384