03-23-2016, 04:40 AM
User Info
Hi Guys,

I have been DE shaving for years and decided to try a Feather SS Japanese style handle shavette.  I got a pack of the Feather progaurd blades to use with it.  I was super excited to try it.  Lathered up with some LPL.  Watched a few videos.  I have a good understanding of blade angles and pressure with my DE and figured the transition would not be bad.  To test I shaved a patch of soft hair on the back of my hand like I do after sharpening my pocket knives.  It is sharp and slid right through the hair.  On my face it was a different story.  Tons of pulling and tugging.  I tried different angles and directions to no avail.  For some reason atg was best but still tug and pull on whiskers.  I gave up after about 5% of my shave and switched back to my DE and finished up.  The second try was this morning and same result.  With little pressure the razor cannot move through my whiskers, more pressure results in tug and pull no matter the angle.  A steeper angle (scraping rather than cutting) reduced the the tug but I feel if I kept that angle the razor burn would have been harsh.  The videos I watched showed guys with full beards and the razor sliding through like butter.  What gives?  

Chris

0 4
 03-23-2016, 05:46 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Does not mirror my experience. I use the pro guard exclusively and it wipes whiskers effortlessly. I use some light skin stretching as I do with a traditional straight razor. Did you try to switch the blade out?

59 4,381
 03-23-2016, 06:40 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
It might be a bad blade.  I would switch it out and also use some pre-shave if you have some for additional glide.

Eric

46 930
 03-23-2016, 07:42 AM
User Info
That crossed my mind.  I bought the blades from Amazon which was probably my first mistake.  I later saw them at bullgoose; should have went there first.  First I'll try another blade out of the same pack.  If that does not work I will buy a fresh pack from Phil.  Thanks guys!

0 4
 03-23-2016, 08:30 AM
User Info
I found the Pro Guards just too uncomfortable for me. Terrible shaves, razor burn, etc. I switched to Kai Titan Mild  blades and have not looked back! Give them a try. Others have also commented in other threads on how the pro guards didn't work for them either. Your not alone.

147 3,459
 03-23-2016, 08:43 AM
User Info
My personal experience using the Feather blades in the Feather SS & DX and the Mongoose for me the best blades are the Feather Pro I can't fault the performance or the longevity of those blade.

11 1,921
 03-23-2016, 08:46 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I prefer the Feather Super Pro blades, but have used all of the various blades (Feather, Kai, Dorco) successfully.  With an open blade razor the prep and lather is immensely more influential to the shave experience and result.  While I did not care for the Feather SS due to it's necessary steeper blade angle requirement, it is still a very capable razor.  A feather-light touch (pardon the pun), shallowest possible angle and a very slick and stable lather are the recipe for success.  Skin stretching also reduces the risk of nicks and irritation, though isn't necessary.  It took me a few dozen attempts to really nail down my technique, but I get BBS shaves with all of my open blade razors (currently CJB, Sam Seong and Japanese Stainless Weck style razor).  Don't get discouraged by one bad shave, just realize that the transition from safety razor to open blade requires a steep learning curve.

139 2,676
 03-23-2016, 09:29 AM
User Info
I am also new to shavette's and have struggled with the ProGuards as well.  One day everything clicks, the next day tugging and pulling, leaving me to think that with all the variables at play (pre shave, lather quality, blade angle, pressure) it is going to take some time to get this figured out.

That being said I was thinking that when I began DE shaving I must have tried 20 different blades before landing on what worked for me.  The ProGuards are the only blade I have tried in the Feather AC SS, and the IBC. Maybe I will figure them out, maybe not, but I have nothing to compare them to at this point.

I have some Feather Pro's, Kai Milds, and Shick Injector blades (for the IBC), on the way to determine if its the blade, or its me.  This should allow me to rule out some variables, and find what works, or at the very least find out what area I need to correct.

That's my plan...........I hope it works : )

6 223
 03-23-2016, 11:03 AM
User Info
yes, it very well may be poor technique/prep.  It was just odd that it preformed so poorly.  I didn't do any pre-shave besides a hot shower; no oil, hot towel, etc.  My soap and lather were great though.  I will order some Feather professionals and maybe some supers and keep trying.  Any chance people are selling counterfeit or resharpened razors on amazon?

0 4
 03-23-2016, 12:25 PM
User Info
I ordered my ProGuards from Amazon and they came sealed, so chances are the blades are fine.  The other thing I noticed with the ProGuards is I seem to get more tugging when they are new, and then they mellow out.  But that could all be in my head : )

The biggest improvement for me came after I started focusing more on my pre shave prep, and using a pre shave gel.  Seems to help a bunch.

6 223
 03-23-2016, 01:05 PM
User Info
Thanks guys!!!

0 4